Collision With SUV Leaves Motorcyclist dead, Driver Flees Scene

IMG_7205.jpeg

A motorcyclist was killed in a collision, when his bike collided with a Toyota Fortuner making a U-turn in the middle of a well lit road. The driver of the SUV fled the scene, leaving the victim’s family devastated.

The accident occurred at 20:00 on October 22 on the Nakhon-Pak Phanang Road near the Na Luang intersection in Nakhon Si Thammarat. Pol. Col. Kittichai Kainara, chief of the Nakhon Si Thammarat City Police, received the report and rushed to the scene alongside medical staff from Maharaj Nakhon Si Thammarat Hospital and rescue personnel from the Pracharuamjai Foundation.

At the scene, authorities found the body of 23-year-old Phuriwat (surname withheld), lying lifeless on the road, his face covered in blood. Nearby was his heavily modified motorcycle, completely destroyed.

Eyewitnesses stated that the silver Toyota Fortuner involved in the crash fled immediately after the accident. The SUV had been attempting a U-turn, when Phuriwat, driving at high speed and too close to take action to avoid the vehicle, crashed into the left side of the SUV.

Phuriwat died instantly from the impact. Shortly after, his grieving family arrived at the scene, collapsing in tears upon seeing his body.

Police are currently reviewing footage from nearby CCTV cameras to identify and locate the driver of the SUV. The driver will face charges for fleeing the scene and failing to assist the victim. After an autopsy, the victim’s body will be released to his family.

Picture from responders.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-10-24

Cigna Banner (500x100) (1).png

image.png

• Sad 1

Probably no helmet, modified bike, thin wheel and driving too quick. In other words playing on the street as usual. Instead of breaking down after, maybe his family should have explained the dangers of such activities before something happened.

Most bad, of course we have another part who flees the scene. We probably all know why as well. Most likely driving drunk as is the most common reason for accidents in Thailand

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

no helmet, modified bike, thin wheel 

18 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

driving drunk

Thanks for that investigative report. 
You forgot the sunglasses and dark window tint.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

Thanks for that investigative report. 
You forgot the sunglasses and dark window tint.

No, I didn´t. Have never mentioned that before and I don´t think there was a window in the story. Anyway, I am happy that you are pleased.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, MalcolmB said:

No mention of drink driving, helmets or thin wheels, but that didn’t stop you guessing that either.

On the image of the motorbike you can see the thin back wheel. After that driving drunk and wearing no helmet is often connected to road accidents in Thailand, while dark window tint is not very common on Thai motorbikes with no window.

3 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

The driver of the SUV fled

Nothing new. 

I'm shocked, startled and surprised when it's reported that the driver remains at the scene and waits for the police. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

29 minutes ago, NE1 said:

I know I have just woke up , but if a vehicle was doing a U turn , wouldn't you crash into the right hand side of the said vehicle ?

The car was probably making a U turn from the other side of the road - crossing the path of the rider, who was unable to avoid the car.   This also makes for an easier getaway by the driver of the car..

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

The driver will face charges for fleeing the scene and failing to assist the victim.

I don't think there was a lot he could do, anyway needed time to sober up, dump his gun and drugs........TIT.........:coffee1:

53 minutes ago, NE1 said:

I know I have just woke up , but if a vehicle was doing a U turn , wouldn't you crash into the right hand side of the said vehicle ?

More than likely he was U-Turning across multiple lanes, and got hit on the same side of the road on his left side. Even worse, there appears to be a hash-marked center divided lane, where no crossing or U-Turning would ever be allowed.

Umm. :ermm: 

If the SUV was making a U-Turn and a motorcycle was travelling at high speed in the oncoming, right-hand lane, it would hit the "left side" of the SUV. This is Thailand. They drive on the left side of the road. So you pull into the right-side lane to make a u-turn which exposes the left side of your vehicle to the oncoming traffic.

It is a common event in Thailand. Most of my Thai friends are very cautious when they see a vehicle at a U-turn as they know it's quite common for (cars/trucks/SUVs) to decide that they have room/time to turn and that any oncoming traffic should just move out of their way.
More than a few times I've had to hit the brakes and change lanes to avoid someone that just decided they were "bigger" or "more important" than me and pulled out right in front of me. Especially annoying when you check your mirrors and see there were no vehicles behind you and all the other guy had to do was wait 3-4 seconds.
But, this is Thailand after all.

And "heavily modified" bike could mean almost anything. Doesn't appear to be a scooter based on the exhaust pipe. Looks more like a 150cc Honda Phantom or a different model of "low CC, "cruiser-style" bikes in the 150-175cc range.

And it was at 8pm. Just after dark. The area appears to be well lit. (But how often do you see motorcycles riding after dark with no lights on because they think it saves them tiny ounces of fuel by leaving their lights off ?)

And because the SUV driver fled, one can assume he knew he was likely at fault (or had been drinking, or in possession of contraband). If he'd stuck around, he would have likely been breathalyzed or even sent to the hospital for a blood test.

Unless he was a rich HiSo or "connected" of course, in which case he would have been allowed to go home and sleep it off and then go to the police station when it was convenient for him.

Unfortunately, not only will the investigation be - somewhat less than thorough - I suspect the follow-up will be near non-existent.

They should have an alert out to every hospital/clinic in the area and to every repair shop that could do extensive repairs to a vehicle of that type. (There's absolutely NO indication that the SUV driver was the lone occupant of his vehicle and if he did have passengers it's possible they may have required medical assistance.)

And one might think the police actually be able to search a DLT database for "silver Toyota Fortuners" and compile a list of those registered in the local area for a start.

And I'd suspect there'd be some bits and pieces of the SUV scattered around the accident scene that would be evidence.

But regardless, I suspect there's very little chance we would ever hear the outcome of any investigation anyways unless it turned out the SUV was owned/driven by some very "newsworthy" VIP or HiSo.

Followng up on news stories here is something no one seems interested in for the most part.