Thailand to Implement 300-Baht Tourism Tax Starting with Air Travel

webfact

So, in reality this is still only an idea, as the do not have a dedicated team of developers nor insurance companies who backs the idea. Probably means it will be a lot of negotiations, and the max amount for both death and accident will be halved at best. 🤣

Also, talking about this must be a great point at 5 meetings per year the last 5-10 years. Now we have the develop and implementation as well as test run time, that will add another 15 years. 

• Confused 1

So this is the 3rd 4th 5th? Time they have talked about creating this tax in the last 5 years or so?

Its a go.....Nope its canceled....Its a go....Nope its canceled....etc....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, rocketboy2 said:

Just a greedy money grab. 

How is that? 

1 minute ago, Isaan sailor said:

I would much prefer they tax tourists (and returning expats) a little, than the expats income.

My guess when this is finally rolled out everyone who is not Thai will be required to get an ETA

and Pay the 300 baht.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Captain Monday said:

How is that? 

My guess when this is finally rolled out everyone who is not Thai will be required to get an ETA

and Pay the 300 baht.

I believe they will tax tourists 300 baht

The rest of the story, will be mostly fantasy and the money will be syphoned off, one way or another.

But you can believe them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

Sounds like a good deal.

I can only imagine how hard they would make it to actually use that 500,000 accident insurance..... 

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, rocketboy2 said:

I believe they will tax tourists 300 baht

The rest of the story, will be mostly fantasy and the money will be syphoned off, one way or another.

But you can believe them.

Next year when you find evidence of this corruption please post a link

Amazing people choose to live somewhere they despise and distrust the local Government

I could stay in my country and do that

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

There still is a departure tax. Bt700 I think. I thought everyone new this.

It is now 730 THB ( 1 April 2024), it is a Passenger Service Charge, and is included in the ticket. Airlines remit this to AoT.

This 300 THB 'fee' is simply a cash grab by the Ministry of Tourism and Sport. There has been little to no rationale behind this 'fee' (insurance, hospital bills, coral reef restoration,etc.). Nor will there be any transparency in the future.

At 30 m tourists, that's a 9 Billion Baht slush fund, ripe for picking by a Permanent Secretary.

Collection of this fee has always been the issue as airlines want nothing to do with it.

So it needs to be collected out of band - kiosk at the airport, more likely a mobile app. 

No clue why 300 THB is the "right" amount? Why not 1,000 THB?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bamnutsak said:

It is now 730 THB ( 1 April 2024), it is a Passenger Service Charge, and is included in the ticket. Airlines remit this to AoT.

This 300 THB 'fee' is simply a cash grab by the Ministry of Tourism and Sport. There has been little to no rationale behind this 'fee' (insurance, hospital bills, coral reef restoration,etc.). Nor will there be any transparency in the future.

At 30 m tourists, that's a 9 Billion Baht slush fund, ripe for picking by a Permanent Secretary.

Collection of this fee has always been the issue as airlines want nothing to do with it.

So it needs to be collected out of band - kiosk at the airport, more likely a mobile app. 

No clue why 300 THB is the "right" amount? Why not 1,000 THB?

Bt730. Ok thanks. Once visas/entry go electronic the Bt300 charge will need to be paid before issue of QR entry code IMO. Again though they always announce things before they have worked out how to do it. This Bt300 entry fee/tax has been bouncing around for some time now.

It's just the ETA system they're talking about.

The same system most countries are putting into place like the EU and UK.

I expect the fee to rise to be a major earner. In NZ it was a 11$ fee & 30$ tourist tax when it came in a few years ago, now its a 14$ fee and 100$ tourist tax for 2 year ETA.

4 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Is this saying that registration and pre-payment is part of the electronic authority to travel that Thailand was talking about introducing recently?

Who knows, but my guess today is 'No'.

The ETA would be a separate 'process'.

Different ministries, but that's not to say the MoFA won't also charge for an ETA.

The Ministry of Tourism and Sport has been salivating for this massive Slush Fund for ages. Maybe they'll use this to pony up the F1 "commissions"?

Krungthai Bank is said to be the collection point via an app.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Travellers would use a dedicated website or app to process their payments, mirroring South Korea's K-ETA registration system. Essentially, visitors would pre-register and pay online prior to entering Thailand

Registering from overseas to any Thai website will be problematic IMO and paying online where the exchange rate fluctuates on a daily basis.

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

Registering from overseas to any Thai website will be problematic IMO and paying online where the exchange rate fluctuates on a daily basis.

Likely that many people will try to pay on arrival. Could therefore cause queues and delays at immigration desks.

There should be a single-step immigration ETA app that includes the levy for tourist visa waiver. Not some separate tax just to inconvenience tourists in the collection.

That's a half-decent plan that might help filter out some of the human garbage that Thailand is becoming a hub for with its current open-door policy. 

Ditch the insurance - if you can afford to come to Thailand on holiday - you can afford travel insurance or have your emergency plans in place.

If it's not added to the airline fees which are paid ahead of time, then it will just becomes another headache that tourists don't want to deal with, especially as soon as they land, and all they want to do is just get out of the airport. I can only imagine the circus created at the airport or borders waiting for each and every tourists to find a way to pay this fee, or to load an app to do so. Plus, will these fees and ETA requirements be needed for longtime VISA holders every time we leave and return?