Foreigner Wrecks Chiang Mai Stall After Smoking Ban Warning

webfact

2 hours ago, craighj said:

Another idiot tourist who thinks he can do whatever he wants, wherever he wants to do it.  This stuff continually gives every farang in the country a bad name.

You want to smoke, just walk off and don't stand so close to people and stalls it's called common courtesy.  You <deleted>!

The Thai throwing water, good stuff.  Should have soaked the Knobhead.

Shame it wasn't boiling.

• Sad 2
  • Love It 1
  • Agree 1

The bucket of water was clearly not "accidental", although I wish it would've been more water and a direkt hit. What an idiot! How can you get bent out of shape for being asked to smoke someplace else?! 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

i gave up smoking 30 years ago and really don't want to breath second hand smoke, just how the arrogance of people who come to Thailand, think they have the god dam right to sit down ,light up and blow smoke or vape all over you , Most cannot do it in their own  country , yet they ignore others around  them , it really piss's me off , as for many nights of having to leave to go home early from a night out ,because  it gets so bad with many smoking all around you . Regards Popa

• Agree 1

I was having a beer in a local Thai bar that I had been in many times and a local walked in smoking . I asked if he could see the three no smoking signs behind the bar.

He took offense at being told what he should do coming from a foreigner and was ready to pickup a  chair and hit me with it.

Fortunately he thought better of it.

I never saw the barmaid filling up buckets of water either.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

... and I 'imagine' it was more like... "YOU, YOU, Go away, move, no sa-moke, no sa-moke ...  go away"... 

did I miss part of the story? No sa-moke... really?

You have been here long enough to know what that means in Thai... 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

where's your evidence that this guy was only able to visit thailand because of changes to visa rules?!

It is what it is

• Confused 3

12 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I did not say for no reason, but lying about what she did to save her face is really dumb when They posted the vid for all to see, and the first bucket could have taken an eye out.

I just watched the video and he did not look in any danger - - though those ladies were really angry - - I have been here a long time and I have never seen anyone that angry in a market where people are trying to sell things and make a living... and I did not see what preceded the event.. if he blew them up would that have been more serious? Did he refuse to put out his cigarette or toss it at them? From the bit I read he prompted the dispute and acted horribly... 

Edited by 1FinickyOne
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

haha...   I’m simply offering my interpretation of how the situation might have unfolded and escalated.

I’ve often observed how quickly people here can become irate over seemingly minor matters, which then spiral into heated exchanges. It’s common to see underlying frustrations trigger disproportionate reactions to the slightest provocations.

That said, this doesn’t excuse the Brit who was smoking in public with blatant disregard for others.

However, I highly doubt the depiction of the two Thai girls maintaining perfect calm and politeness is an entirely accurate reflection of what transpired.

well, no bjs for him there... 

Yes, they did act extreme, but what did he do to provoke that? And I know Thai people can have a temper. - - especially when they are unduly provoked... Is there a video of the first part of the encounter... 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

... and I 'imagine' it was more like... "YOU, YOU, Go away, move, no sa-moke, no sa-moke ...  go away"... 

and I agree ,    this is probably how it initiated ....     they just scream and carry on ..