California doctor claims spicy Thai dish left her with chemical burns

snoop1130

Never had them before but, do fancy the name and, the name, in and of itself, sounds like something that would be hot and spicy. Maybe not enough sugar in this batch? Whenever my wife makes some som tam (which seems like every day!) it's a coughing/choking/runny nose affair but, that's how she likes it (sometimes too hot for her reles).

Seems like a good opportunity to use that Thai line; the doctor says she tasted her friends Dragon Balls (the food from the restaurant) the other day and they weren't as hot to which the waiter gets to reply "Same same but different".

Trial should be a banger; Dr. Walia how often do eat Dragon's Balls? In your previous experience, what was your favorite part of the Dragon's Balls? Could you please describe for the court the size and shape of said Dragon's Balls? Have you ever have to treat a patient with Dragon's Balls?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Sigmund said:

She is right as most restaurants do not even bother to ask the foreigner if they want it very spicy or not to spicy. Depending on their mood of the day, even if you ask, they answer just with the usual "No can Do". Happens all the time in Hua Hin restaurants.

I'm always asked if I want "spicy" in Thai restaurants in Pattaya. And I've never ever heard a Thai say "No can do". "Cannot" is usual. And when would a waiter or waitress say they can't vary the heat? Are you making this stuff up?

The central issue is Thai culture of just nodding yes when foreigners ask. I’m not a big fan of super spicy food. Occasionally when asking not to put chilli they say ok but the dish is already made in the pot, or they prepare it as always, or simply they forget to tell the chef, or the chef being in “auto” mode makes it like he always does. Not just with food, i see this in other situations. They say ok/yes but clearly not understanding the question. 

• Agree 1

"Restaurant staffers should have been trained to serve Thai iced tea or “some other dairy-based product” to customers with bad reactions to “spice intensity” — but there were none of the beverages on hand, according to the suit.

Instead, Walia was forced to chug “an entire glass of coconut water and more water, but the burning did not subside,” the lawsuit states."

"Walia’s lawsuit also targets over two dozen individuals, including her server, chefs and other employees who may have “influenced, designed, prepared, or participated in creating” the dish."

A new employee who prepared the dish made an error and added additional peppers, rather than reducing them as requested,” Walia, of San Jose, claimed in a November court filing."
(And she knows that how ?)

The restaurant literally just has to bring a menu and have oh, I don't know, 500 or so customers show up to testify that they've eaten the same dish with no problems.
Lol at their menu when they do things like this: "Pad Grr Pow" or "Pad See U". The list the alcoholic drinks they serve but don't show any non-alcoholic drinks (like smoothies or shakes).
Note the restaurant is located about 70 kms south of San Fransisco.
And their food is not that spicy. LOOK at the chilies they are using.

Those same dehydrated (or "sun dried") hard chilies that have almost no flavour at all. The Chinese use these a lot and restaurants overseas where they can't get fresh ingredients.
"Dragon Balls" from the restaurant's web menu.
DragonBalls.jpg.16c70a9a426bd3e847948684b7743a4a.jpg

I found that "Thai" restaurants - literally around the world - rarely make food that tastes "authentic" or is as spicy as it is in Thailand.
In part because they can't get fresh ingredients like red chilies, lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves or galangal so they "substitute". After all, ginger pretty much looks like galangal, right ? And dried lemon grass powder in a spice jar is probably just as good as the fresh stuff, right ?

(Chinese restaurants around the world have the same problem. In Vancouver we were lucky. Restaurants would have cooks that literally just got off the plane from Beijing or or Shanghai and we had local "Asian" markets full of fresh "Asian" vegetables and herbs. But as soon as you travelled even a hundred kilometers away from Vancouver, the food in Chinese restaurants took a huge dive in taste and quality.)

And - they ALL "dumb down" the spice because they know 99% of their customers couldn't handle it if it was made "Thai style". I found that out back in '98 when I was in Ontario and planning a trip to Thailand. 
I was getting food from a local Thai restaurant to "prep" myself to handle the chilies. I thought I was doing good. I was ordering the "3 chili" (hottest) levels and not having a problem. I was also ordering the "suicide wings" from another place and not even getting a tingle on my tongue. I was ready !!

I went to Thailand all brave and confident, went to a local Thai restaurant and ordered something like a Pad Kaprow "Thai style". 
I couldn't get through 3 spoonfuls. Too spicy. I was kind of upset because I couldn't handle a simple dish.
Because a "scorching 3 chili" dish in Canada was probably the same as "made for young children in Thailand" level of spice.

Last time I was in Canada I found a Thai restaurant near my hotel and gave it a try.
I think I ordered a green or red curry and some other dishes and the waiter cautioned me that it was very spicy.
I told him "no problem, in fact, ask them to add some extra chilies".

The dish came out - with those hard, dried out chillies that are inedible. Like trying to eat brittle plastic.
And needless to say, the dish was not even close to being "spicy".

(The worst was when the company I was working for put us up in a 5 star hotel in Dubai. They had Tom Kha Gai on the menu. Spicy coconut soup with chicken. One of my favourite dishes.
They brought it out and immediately you're looking at it going "huh ?". No coconut milk at all. Not spicy. Had like 2 of those dried out chilies in it.
It was like an oily tomato soup. But that's what you get when you order a Thai dish at a restaurant in Dubai that probably uses Indian "chefs" that got their certification from the the local print shop where they also got their qualifications to be an electrician, mechanic and transport truck operator.)

(I spent 10 years working in Afghanistan and we had a lot of Indian employees and we quickly found out how most of them got their qualifications. We had "mechanics" who were qualified because they'd worked at a Tata assembly plant. One guy did nothing but put the front-left tire on each car as it passed. Another guy only put the front bumpers on. But somehow they were "qualified auto mechanics". Our plumbers used to go ballistic because every time a "qualified plumber" did a job they'd have to go back in and redo it properly the next day. The electricians literally had to sit on "qualified" electricians and teach them how to do basic tasks - properly.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

She got burned by a PRIC, obviously.

PRIC YI NOOOO

What is pric-yi-nu....anyway?

image.png.3c06ff77f15710624a4ed635a19f2936.png

Deh-wah...

I doubt that this bird ever even tasted a decent prik.

I mean a prik ki nu.

A decent prik would have truly wasted her....

And she would have been in NO position to complain...

After downing one.

On my first visit to Phuket in 1983, I told the waiter I liked spicy food because I had grown up on Vindaloo curries.  The cook decided to play a prank on two unsuspecting tourists and overdid it with the chilies.  Well, it nearly blew our heads off but we survived with no ill effects.  We were told they were "mouse sh*t" chilies.  Now we can't get enough of them. This woman is obviously a wimp and is suing for suing's sake.  Her name sounds Indian too.  Obviously she doesn't like her native cuisine.

• Agree 1

And I've never had a Thai restaurant, anywhere in the country, tell me they couldn't make a dish without chilies or couldn't "reduce" the amount used. And I've eaten in "Thai" (i.e. "where the locals eat") restaurants all over the country.

I often order something somewhere and the staff (who usually don't speak English) will tell my friends that what I ordered is spicy and they'll tell them not to worry because "farang gin phet" and everyone laughs (except me).

And when it is served I still end up adding ground "prik daeng" and chili sauce to it.
(I've spent a lot of time improving my tolerance to very hot chilies. I use a lot of Blair's Mega Death (Scoville scale - 500,000) and Ultra Death (Scoville scale 800,000) sauces when I'm making curries or BBQ sauce or mixing it with Tartare sauce for fish.)

But back when I first started visiting Thailand one of the first phrases I ever learned (after "Where is the bathroom") was "mai phet" (no spice).

Never had a problem ordering anything and having it made "mai phet"  or "phet nid noi" (spicy little bit).
Even in gas station food courts in the middle of Isaan, I would just point at something and say "mai phet" and the (usually) old ladies would point out which dishes were not spicy.
(Turns out a lot of Thais don't like eating super spicy food all the time either and a lot of dishes are made without any chilies at all.)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Middle Aged Grouch said:

Spicy food can lead to colon cancer and other issues with age. Usually there are no symptoms during the process, Ban all spicy food and at the restaurant make sure they understand your request. If not, don't go back if they fuss or pretend not to understand.

Nonsense.  Chili peppers have many health benefits, including inhibiting cancer cells.

12 Amazing Health Benefits of Chili Pepper - Natural Food Series

America has become such a morally bankrupt ridiculous country. Indian and Thai people in legal battles over "spicy dragon balls" because apparently they couldn't just use the real name of whatever it was (Nam kook?).

I bet it was only 10% as spicy as the real thing yet that Indian women who was probably raised on curry (couldn't even bother to change her name to something pronounceable for English speakers) couldn't eat it. Total clown show.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Sigmund said:

She is right as most restaurants do not even bother to ask the foreigner if they want it very spicy or not to spicy. Depending on their mood of the day, even if you ask, they answer just with the usual "No can Do". Happens all the time in Hua Hin restaurants.

American Thai restaurants almost always ask how spicy

great restaurant name with a wink and dragon balls

kaaaaaameeee kaaaaaameeee kaaaaaameeee KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

come on doctor, cells grow back and who says she did not have a HORSE voice at the start ?   prrrr prrr

Edited by john donson

14 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

I'm not surprised.  America is the land of lawsuits.  Remember the McD hot coffee lawsuit.  Also, remember the DC Judge who sued a dry clearner for over a million because his clothing was ruined.  

The restaurant will have to hire a lawyer to defend or negotiate a settlement.  That is unless suit is dismissed. The biggest common denominator is: Lawyers.  Amereica has way too many lawyers chasing $$$. 

Yup, suing them for serving hot coffee, is like suing them for serving cold ice cream.....Just ridiculous!

2 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

The central issue is Thai culture of just nodding yes when foreigners ask. I’m not a big fan of super spicy food.

I like most dishes here to be about 2-3 on 1-5 scale, the spiciest dish I ever had was in Chomphon, local fresh seafood dish loaded with what appeared to be raw Birds Eye Peppers. I didn't look before taking a bite, then my whole mouth was on fire, I can stand the heat, but it ruined the seafood. Not sure why someone would want blazing heat on a fresh seafood dish, but to each their own I guess.

14 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

I'm not surprised.  America is the land of lawsuits.  Remember the McD hot coffee lawsuit.  Also, remember the DC Judge who sued a dry clearner for over a million because his clothing was ruined.  

The restaurant will have to hire a lawyer to defend or negotiate a settlement.  That is unless suit is dismissed. The biggest common denominator is: Lawyers.  Amereica has way too many lawyers chasing $$$. 

Yup.  We got too many lawyers and too many scumbags.  But believe it or not the McDonald lawsuit was legit. 

https://www.enjuris.com/blog/resources/mcdonalds-hot-coffee-lawsuit/

14 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Sometimes my missus is literally in pain but down it goes. You don't want spicy you have to tell them otherwise you just might get the Thai/Issan version.

I had one bite of a Thai/Issan version of Som Tham (?) salad many years ago.   My mouth and lips were still hurting 36 hours later.   It was good though.  

16 hours ago, Sigmund said:

Why should they? Ask for your food not too spicy (kaw tam a-han mai phet khrup) or order food that's not spicy. As for "No can Do" can you give an example. It's my experience that if you are ordering spicy food it can always be less spicy unless of course it's pre-made. If food that is meant to be spicy is made not spicy it is in IMO not that good. In Issan there is a saying. Bor Phet Bor Sap. Not spicy not delicious. I agree.

Edited by dinsdale

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

An American doctor... 

And ordering a super spicy dish and finding out that it is super spicy, it seems she is not the smartest cookie in the jar.  

She's an American doctor, and you can bet your bottom $ that the amount she (and her lawyers) are suing for will be in the range of a "King's Ransom (as we say in the UK!) 

Where I was living in Korat, an elderly local woman made Tod Mun at the evening market. 

A little bit spicy but tasty as hell.  Always went down well with a few cold beers.  I must seek out these dragon balls.  They sound good. 

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

Why should they? Ask for your food not too spicy (kaw tam a-han mai phet khrup) or order food that's not spicy. As for "No can Do" can you give an example. It's my experience that if you are ordering spicy food it can always be less spicy unless of course it's pre-made. If food that is meant to be spicy is made not spicy it is in IMO not that good. In Issan there is a saying. Bor Phet Bor Sap. Not spicy not delicious. I agree.

My wife and I ordered at a Thai restaurant in American, they asked us how hot 1-5, I ordered Pad KraPow Moo at level 3 and it was more like 4, my wife ordered a level 5 Papaya Salad (She figured this is USA not Thailand) and it was off the charts (She couldn't eat it). We later found out the cooks in the back were straight from Thailand, they took the numbers seriously....LOL

1 hour ago, Gandtee said:

If you try to eat dragon's balls what do you expect? The dragon is not going to be very happy and will breathe fire on you.😉

That's why we learn in school how to handle those creatures.

Or did you only go to an ordinary muggle school? 

95c48317-0ede-47bc-a6e5-07ec6676432a.png

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

I have a stomach complaint that prevents me from eating spicy food (and carbonated drinks, and lots of other "goodies") so "Not spicy not delicious" does not apply to me as I have to stick to food without chilies etc, and when ordering Thai food  I ALWAYS ask for no chilies. If it is pre-cooked and contains chilies, I don't order it - full stop.

The food that the doctor ordered sounds by implication of its name to be very spicy and to be honest she should have known better, but I fear that a lot of money will be changing hands here that we will not hear about!