Taxi Driver Arrested for Attacking Australian Tourist

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture courtesy: Daily News

A Bangkok taxi driver was arrested for attacking an Australian tourist after an argument over a slammed car door and fare dispute. The incident occurred on 23 October at 3:30 a.m. near Narathiwat Ratchanakarin Soi 9 in Sathorn District.

The 39-year-old Australian was injured with a cutter knife, suffering a wound to his right abdomen. Rescuers transported him to the hospital for treatment.

According to the initial investigation, the victim was travelling in a pink Toyota taxi when an argument broke out with the driver, identified as Mr. Somron, aged 49.

The altercation escalated when the driver demanded the fare, and the passenger slammed the car door. In response, the driver retrieved a cutter from the glove box and, during the confrontation, slashed the tourist.

Authorities from Thung Mahamek Police Station reviewed CCTV footage from the area and identified Mr. Somron as the perpetrator. He was later arrested and confessed to the crime.

He explained that he had picked up the Australian tourist and a Thai man from Silom Soi 2 and drove them to a hotel on Narathiwat Road. When the passenger slammed the door, it led to a heated exchange, resulting in the attack.

Mr. Somron was charged with assault causing injury, and legal proceedings are underway, reported Daily News.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-10-25

news-footer-2.png

image.png

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

Well that is a bit sus.

Not that there is anything wrong with of course. 

This thread will bring out the anti thai taxi driver brigade. A thai bashing favorite, right up near the top.

personally I have always found Bangkok taxis to be cheap and plentiful. Better than the expensive ones back in the UK. For me the cheap taxis is one of the good things about Bangkok.

Dont bash actual tourists in UK, just their wallets! Better than bashing  our eardrums like now in Pattaya expat areas then! 

10 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

Well that is a bit sus.

This thread will bring out the anti thai taxi driver brigade. A thai bashing favorite, right up near the top.

personally I have always found Bangkok taxis to be cheap and plentiful. Better than the expensive ones back in the UK. For me the cheap taxis is one of the good things about Bangkok.

Personally I don't bother with the taxi Mafia, when I've had a few too many I just drive my car or ride the motorbike slowly, I find I'm more aware of road conditions than many sober drivers.🙃🙃

• Sad 4
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, roo860 said:

when I've had a few too many I just drive my car or ride the motorbike slowly,

Car is fine, but no matter how slowly you drive the bike, someone who also like you had few or more too many might hit you and down you go.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Picture courtesy: Daily News

A Bangkok taxi driver was arrested for attacking an Australian tourist after an argument over a slammed car door and fare dispute. The incident occurred on 23 October at 3:30 a.m. near Narathiwat Ratchanakarin Soi 9 in Sathorn District.

The 39-year-old Australian was injured with a cutter knife, suffering a wound to his right abdomen. Rescuers transported him to the hospital for treatment.

According to the initial investigation, the victim was travelling in a pink Toyota taxi when an argument broke out with the driver, identified as Mr. Somron, aged 49.

The altercation escalated when the driver demanded the fare, and the passenger slammed the car door. In response, the driver retrieved a cutter from the glove box and, during the confrontation, slashed the tourist.

Authorities from Thung Mahamek Police Station reviewed CCTV footage from the area and identified Mr. Somron as the perpetrator. He was later arrested and confessed to the crime.

He explained that he had picked up the Australian tourist and a Thai man from Silom Soi 2 and drove them to a hotel on Narathiwat Road. When the passenger slammed the door, it led to a heated exchange, resulting in the attack.

Mr. Somron was charged with assault causing injury, and legal proceedings are underway, reported Daily News.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-10-25

news-footer-2.png

image.png

Well, the Australian doesn't look like as to shut a door softly. 😂

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Demanded the fare ? so was the Ozzy not going to pay ? was he being overcharged ? Did he actually pay the fare before slamming the door ? so much info missing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, roo860 said:

Personally I don't bother with the taxi Mafia, when I've had a few too many I just drive my car or ride the motorbike slowly, I find I'm more aware of road conditions than many sober drivers.🙃🙃

Better the devil you know than the devil you dont

• Love It 1

4 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Ooh! The notorious taxi driver mental illness. It´s funny how they always seem to have sharp object or something to use for blunt force action.

You'd be doing the very same thing if you drove a taxi for a while.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

Well that is a bit sus.

I see now,

A foreigner smoking near a street food stall needs ' tar and feathering '  but a tourist customer, doing nothing wrong apart from slamming a car door according to a driver gets slashed with a cutter knife BY AN UNBALANCED TAXI DRIVER is OK?

Where do you get your logic from?

I see you don't even find it in you to say this is completely over the top and wrong, instead you go barbling on about UK taxi prices!!

Unbelievable!

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, roo860 said:

The most sensible thing to do.

in the car, not sure about on a bike though.

Speed kills, beer doesnt

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

4 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Not a Brit in sight to blame, some people will be disappointed.

I hate to point out that he is probably one of our descendants.

But by the sound of his lifestyle that will be the end of the line as far as that goes.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, harleyclarkey said:

You can't be serious. You take pride in the fact you drive/ride drunk?? Idiot thing to do. Stay away from driving when drunk. 

If you are going to have a couple it is best to just slow down. 
Don’t be an idiot. 
I am sure he has been doing it for years without incident.

He knows what he is doing.

• Love It 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The 39-year-old Australian was injured with a cutter knife, suffering a wound to his right abdomen

The guy is huge, a box cutter, just a flesh wound.

He should look at getting some cosmetic surgery (stomach band) while he's getting stitched up. 

Don't know the full story but someone slammed my car door, I'm angry. 

Weapons are for girls, I'd sort the big fella out. 🥊

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Haha 2