Thai Navy's Submarine Agreement with China Nearing Completion

webfact

Lets see this whole sub thing started about 2017 I think? Now its 2024 going on 2025.....So thats about 7-8 years.....

I bet there are plenty of good years ahead for the whole dumb sub story....The gift that keeps on giving.....

7 hours ago, webfact said:

the Chinese engine's unprecedented use in submarines being a notable concern.

If they had the remotest clue about anything relevant, the Thai government & the admirals wouldn't buy anything in this line that wasn't already working soundly in CHINESE submarines ...

14 minutes ago, wombat said:

That's good...it can be parked up in the new sub base buit in Cambodia 

I'm betting within a couple years it will be docked permanently next to its aircraft carrier cousin, presuming it doesn't sink first.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Phumtham emphasised considering the entire Thai-Chinese diplomatic relationship alongside the submarine deal.

I see, it's  a diplomatic bribe by Thailand to China... So, what else did you purchase then? Some intangible Chinese Good Will, sweet + sour?

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand's Defence Minister, Phumtham Wechayachai, announced last night that the Navy's protracted plan to acquire a Chinese-built S26T submarine is expected to be finalised soon.

Biggest acquisition joke of the decade.

• Agree 1

Quote: "Acknowledging mixed reactions, Phumtham emphasised considering the entire Thai-Chinese diplomatic relationship alongside the submarine deal."

OMG, that is an obvious reason not to do it.  Future diplomatic blackmail.

There are tremendously few other possible ways for the Thai gov't to spend limited resources that would have less identifiable ultimate benefit for the average Thai citizen.