Hearing Aids

JimGant

Anybody bought hearing aids in CM?

I said, ANYBODY BOUGHT HEARING AIDS LATELY :o

The price of decent hearing aids in the US makes saying "huh?" very cost effective. But, what are the prices here in CM? And where?

I saw two hearing aid vendors on the ground floor of Panthip Plaza. Anyone know anything about them?

I don't understand most of what's being said around here, so not hearing it is probably a plus. However, for trips back to US, I found not hearing very well becoming a problem.

Thanx.

Hey man, I could not hear a word that you said. But if you know somewhere I can get my hearing checked, let me know. Oh wait; my favorite clinic, at Majaraj Hospital, said they could schedule a hearing test, and I'll bet the independent test is under 500 baht.

I'm most closely related to my father, who waited entirely too long, somewhere in his 70's, before getting aids in both ears. It made such a profound difference that he voluntarily starred in an ad for the hearing aid supplier, entitled, "I don't know why I waited so long!"

Anybody bought hearing aids in CM?

I said, ANYBODY BOUGHT HEARING AIDS LATELY :o

The price of decent hearing aids in the US makes saying "huh?" very cost effective. But, what are the prices here in CM? And where?

I saw two hearing aid vendors on the ground floor of Panthip Plaza. Anyone know anything about them?

I don't understand most of what's being said around here, so not hearing it is probably a plus. However, for trips back to US, I found not hearing very well becoming a problem.

Thanx.

Where are they? You said you saw 2 vendors at Panthip Plaza so it seems that's where they are.

Why didn't you ask the price at these 2 vendors you saw at Panthip? Perhaps if they wrote the price for you you might have seen it or do you need glasses as well?

Hey man, I could not hear a word that you said. But if you know somewhere I can get my hearing checked, let me know. Oh wait; my favorite clinic, at Majaraj Hospital, said they could schedule a hearing test, and I'll bet the independent test is under 500 baht.

I'm most closely related to my father, who waited entirely too long, somewhere in his 70's, before getting aids in both ears. It made such a profound difference that he voluntarily starred in an ad for the hearing aid supplier, entitled, "I don't know why I waited so long!"

I can fully understand why he would say that. I got mine, both ears, at age 45, and what a wonderful world opened up for me. All of a sudden I could understand every word that was being said in the movies or on TV. In a crowded restaurant or bar I could get involved with the conversations going on without constantly say 'what?' 'excuse me?' etc. And walking out into a bamboo forest during a mild wind, hearing the leaves, the birds, the wind.... what can I say? It was fantastic!

I don't know of any particular shops or prices here. I got mine in Guam where they were roughly $500 USD each. There are shops here, as I have seen the very small ones being sold, but I don't remember where I saw them. But I can tell you what to look for in good ones.

1. They MUST be custom made for you. You can't just get amplifiers. The hearing aids need to filter OUT the ranges that you can hear as well as amplifying the ones you can't. Other wise sounds are just too loud.

2. They need to take an impression of your ear canal (just like the dentist does with teeth) so the aid will fit you correctly.

3. Many people need to slowly work up to wearing them, starting with just an hour a day for the first week or two, then two hours, etc. I was one of the lucky few who could wear mine all day from day one. But sounds DO change. Many sounds become unpleasant and tinny, even with the very best of instruments. Often I would turn them off while wearing them, such as when on a train or bus, or in a crowded mall. Then they worked very well as ear plugs, removing all the unwanted noise too! You also need to remove one or turn it off to answer a phone as you get shrill feedback when you cover them with something solid.

4. I never realized it, but your ears sweat! I find the aids very uncomfortable to wear here in Thailand and only put them in when I really need to. On the plus side, I frequently don't hear my wife telling me to take out the trash.

5. They are VERY susceptible to humidity, and need to be stored without their batteries in an air-tight container with silica jell beads when you aren't wearing them.

6. The size you get affects the prices. The smaller the device, the more expensive it it. Mine fit completely in the ear canal and can only be seen from the side. There are smaller ones still that fit even further down the ear canal and have little handles attached so you can get them out! The lesser prices models are the ones you see with the electronics behind the ear and a plug going over the top into the ear. They all work the same. They just look different and the cost difference is large. But get the best that you can afford. It's really worth it to hear a baby laugh.

I've got a buddy at my gym, wonderful guy, 69 and in great shape. Won't mention his name because no doubt several of you know him (hint: he's on the Pub Quiz circuit here). He drives me CRAZY sometimes...I'm talking to someone else, he's eavesdropping, he then barges into the conversation completely on another tangent. Or I'll reply to something he said, he'll misinterpret, and when I try to correct him, he'll start barking like a junkyard dog: "I KNOW, I know all about....(whatever)". And he doesn't have a CLUE what I'm talking about.

Jaezuss....I think this a form of serious narcissism. He's been told, numerous times, by friends a lot closer to him than me (they've told me).

It's like someone, who is legally BLIND, who refuses to wear glasses, because they thinks it will detract from their young studly (self) image. Gimme a break, get the glasses, get the hearing aid, get in touch. Nobody else really cares so much how you look..... :o

Where are they? You said you saw 2 vendors at Panthip Plaza so it seems that's where they are.

Yeah, and both are closed on Sunday mornings, about the only time I visit downtown. And they're new, so was actually looking for more about the longer-established, better-known spots (which I haven't seen).

Perhaps if they wrote the price for you you might have seen it or do you need glasses as well?

Yeah, can't see or hear. But, I can certainly tell a buttbreath from his written words.

Thanks, FolkGuitar.

Obviously, with all that you point out, a professionally run operation is called for. And, therefore, the reason why I'm trying to find some first hand experience in CM.

Cost is rapidly *NOT* becoming a factor. Plus, when I retired from the Air Force, this hearing loss was documented on my final flight physical -- and with the VA. Guess I need to run my options down next time I'm in the States.

Any vets here been able to get hearing aids out of Uncle Sam many years after retirement?

Edited by JimGant

But if you know somewhere I can get my hearing checked, let me know.

Lana Hospital does hearing tests. They have the equipment and a sound proof booth but I can not recall the costs, around 500 B and for sure less than 1000 B.

Yeah, can't see or hear. But, I can certainly tell a buttbreath from his written words.

Well it's good to see at least one of your faculties is working.........the ability to recognise a prick and retaliate without bursting into tears.

Check out my signature.........It might tell you something. devil24.gif

Thanks, FolkGuitar.

Obviously, with all that you point out, a professionally run operation is called for. And, therefore, the reason why I'm trying to find some first hand experience in CM.

Cost is rapidly *NOT* becoming a factor. Plus, when I retired from the Air Force, this hearing loss was documented on my final flight physical -- and with the VA. Guess I need to run my options down next time I'm in the States.

Any vets here been able to get hearing aids out of Uncle Sam many years after retirement?

If you have a hearing profile and docomented with the VA, all you need to do is make an apointment with the nearest VA hospital audio clinic, get tested and fitted for free hearing aids, they have several differnt types, I retired from the air force in 89 and got my aids in 1998.

If you have a hearing profile and docomented with the VA, all you need to do is make an apointment with the nearest VA hospital audio clinic, get tested and fitted for free hearing aids, they have several differnt types, I retired from the air force in 89 and got my aids in 1998.

Thanx, Skip. Guess I need to go find the retirement physical papers from 1987 -- or hope the VA still has it on file.

Hope the VA's budget allows for more than analog........

Thanks, FolkGuitar.

I got tested by the VA back in '83. I went in telling them I really couldn't hear very well. They tested me and told me I really couldn't hear very well.....

Although I'm a disabled Vet, they refused to cover my hearing loss saying it wasn't service connected!! :o