Tony's Gym's Amazing Discrimination

Jimmyd

I suppose many people in Pattaya know that Tony's Gym has a 20,000 baht lifetime membership option. Quite a few also know that Thai people get the same package for 15,000 baht. Thai taxpaying foreigners need not apply no matter what their contribution to Thailand.

However, if a Thai person is married to a westerner and has the westerner's last name, they also must pay 20,000 baht!

Amazing--Tony has lost me as a customer for any and all of his enterprises. I will also actively discourage everyone I know from patronizing his businesses. I wonder how many others have walked away shaking their heads in disbelief.

Maybe Thais have a lower life expectancy which improves when marrying a farang?

Just kidding sort of but all I can say is: typical. If you like the gym, whats the big deal? If you use the gym for 20 years, thats under ONE baht a day extra.

I don't like double pricing either, but it kind of comes with the territory here.

Edited by Jingthing

Tony used to have a club in Bangkok just off Petchburi Road and I was in on night when he was running a competition for Thai girls only. The prize was something like 500Baht. Anyway, when the girl who won went to collect the cash, Tony threw it on the floor so she had to crawl round to pick it up. He's never had a dime out of me since.

Ed

Hey, I agree Tony appears to be a crass sleazebucket from his ads and I have also never given a satang to any of his empire of businesses. But the OP sounds like he likes Tony's gyms. Maybe they have a perfect location for him. So if he boycotts, maybe hurting himself even more than Tony.

Edited by Jingthing

I've never been particularly against discriminatory pricing per se.

I just get upset when the Thais start to take the piss - like 40 Baht for Thais to see a waterfall and 400 Baht for farangs. If it was 80 Baht for farangs I wouldn't have a problem.

So Tony, (be he good or bad), is charging 33% more for farangs. I don't see this as a big deal. If he charged ten times more then I would agree with you.

As someone else has already said, I suspect you will suffer more that Tonywill for his loss of your custom.

But I respect your views, and all those who abhor dual pricing, but I just happen to think that if it is kept within bounds it is no big deal, and, for the second time today, life is too short to get too upset about these things, and you're not about to change them.

I hope you find a gym to your taste. :o

I go to Tony's gym and I really don't give a rat's ass what they charge Thais. All that matters to me is what they charge me.

In fact, I think I like that they charge the Thais less. Otherwise, we'd never see some of those gorgeous babes in there working out.

And the Thai men can't afford it even with the discount. :o

Works for me.

But seriously, I don't care what Thais get charged for anything. I just care about what I pay. Then I decide whether I want it or not.

I have a better time that way, enjoy myself. Try it out.

I only buy day passes at Tonys but have no complaints. I could give a sh*t about what a sleazeball Tony is personally as long as he keeps his gym the best bang for the buck that I have found so far in Pattaya. Most gyms I know are operated with various pricing structures to try to get the max the person will pay. There is even play room in the price that is negotiated at the big California WOW fitness chain in Bangkok which even though a big publicly traded corporation is IMO managed by a bunch of sleazeballs.

I think that most of you have missed the point of jimmyd's post.

It's have nothing to do with how much he is being charged. It is the fact that his Thai wife is being charged the price for foreigners.

Personally, I would call Tony directly and put it to him. Maybe he'll concede.

Ask one of the staff for his mobile number.

I go to Tony's gym and I really don't give a rat's ass what they charge Thais. All that matters to me is what they charge me.

In fact, I think I like that they charge the Thais less. Otherwise, we'd never see some of those gorgeous babes in there working out.

And the Thai men can't afford it even with the discount. :o

Works for me.

But seriously, I don't care what Thais get charged for anything. I just care about what I pay. Then I decide whether I want it or not.

I have a better time that way, enjoy myself. Try it out.

I'm with you on this 100%. It fine by me that they charge Thais less (I expect it anyway), and all that concerns me is the deal I can get. For a lousy 20K it's the best gym bargain I've ever seen anywhere in the world. For that price you can use 4 gyms (3 of which are open 24 hours) with tons of decent heavy duty equipment. A friend of mine back in April got a deal of 13K for a lifetime membership...the prices vary constantly.

The OP is just shooting himself in the foot by boycotting these gyms. My personal feelings towards Tony would have no bearing on whether or not I train there.

Edited by tropo

I think that most of you have missed the point of jimmyd's post.

It's have nothing to do with how much he is being charged. It is the fact that his Thai wife is being charged the price for foreigners.

Personally, I would call Tony directly and put it to him. Maybe he'll concede.

Ask one of the staff for his mobile number.

These gyms are not going concerns. If you observe the business they do, it's obvious they are not turning a profit. I wouldn't be too concerned about buying a lifetime membership. You can get a year at the Soi 16 Tony's Gym for 4000 and I think a lifetime there is cheap too. You'd have to get 5 years out of a lifetime membership to break even. I've used 3 of the gyms, and this is my favourite one.