Few Questions About Hua Hin

jckei

Im thinking of moving to Hua Hin, for at least 6-7 months a year.

Never been to Hua Hin... But seems like it might be good option.

Used to stay in Phuket, but my girlfriend think its too far from her home in Isaan.

I dont want want to stay in Pattaya/Jomtien - Too much temptations that would wear on my wallet and my our relationship.

Bkk - No beach, out of the question.

Chiang Mai - Same as bbk + gf "not like people north".

Samui - Dont like the feeling to be staying on a island that far away from mainland.

Kind of leaves me with Hua Hin I guess. And my girl likes it too - "King have house. Stay same king, very nice".

But I got a few questions before I make the decision to even try it out...

- Is there a mall in the Hua Hin area such as Carrefour, Big C or Testo Lotus?

- Is there a cinema that shows new falangmovies, with english soundtrack?

- Are there any gyms, muaythai or weights?

- Is it easy to find cheap condos.. for 8k/month or less?

Thanks

-Is there a mall in the Hua Hin area such as Carrefour, Big C or Testo Lotus?

- Is there a cinema that shows new falangmovies, with english soundtrack?

- Are there any gyms, muaythai or weights?

- Is it easy to find cheap condos.. for 8k/month or less?

For more than a year HH has a hugh mall (Testo, cinema, bowling included), not so many falangmovies with English soundtrack.

For the gym you can go to any big hotel (Hilton e.g.)

8k/month or less seams a very low price for a condo, in the range 12k and up you will have more choice.

:o

Interesting, I would presume there would be plenty of opportunities for accommodation under 8k per month in Hua Hin, its just a matter of getting down there (or up there) and checking the places out. I'd also be interested in renting a place here, so far my listing - phuket/rayong/hua hin. Any recommendations for cheap rooms/apartments?

Don't know why you would presume, it is a resort town and a very popular weekend destination for middle and hi-so Thai people from BKK who own condos.

8K is not much and you wouldn't get much. You could probably get a townhouse/row house in a busy Thai neighbourhood.

For a condo with western-style amenities I think you should be looking at 15K + for something nice.

No problem with malls, gyms or movies in Thai for your GF. Cinema is at Market Village (Tesco) mall. There is a muay thai gym w/training, just 5 mins walk from Tesco.

They do get movies with English soundtrack but not all the time, its not predictable.

Don't know why you would presume, it is a resort town and a very popular weekend destination for middle and hi-so Thai people from BKK who own condos.

8K is not much and you wouldn't get much. You could probably get a townhouse/row house in a busy Thai neighbourhood.

For a condo with western-style amenities I think you should be looking at 15K + for something nice.

No problem with malls, gyms or movies in Thai for your GF. Cinema is at Market Village (Tesco) mall. There is a muay thai gym w/training, just 5 mins walk from Tesco.

They do get movies with English soundtrack but not all the time, its not predictable.

The above is about it, if you are on a budget and want it more laid back, try Cha Am, sounds more like your pocket.

The above is about it, if you are on a budget and want it more laid back, try Cha Am, sounds more like your pocket.

Thanks for all the replys.

I did some more researsh, and just like you suggest, Cha Am probably suits me better.

• 3 weeks later...

Personally i like Hua-Hin better than Cha-Am. I have rented houses in both places and Hua-Hin wins hands down.

In Cha-Am and Hua-Hin most houses are used to rent out in the weekends. They easily get 2000 baht a day (Weekends). I asked a few owners what the price would be for a month in Cha-Am and they all quoted 30 days /2000 baht = 60.000 baht a month. I was looking for something very close to the beach and was amazed by this way of calculating. More appropiate would be 4 weekend x 4000 = 16000 + some extra. Around 20.000 would be ok and i would have done it. Thai business sense is something wierd. :o They like changing and cleaning 8 times a week for less money than only clean it 1 time and have more money at the same time.

I found a lot better suited for my taste in Bang Saphan area. It is more to the south but houses go for 10-15 K baht a month and enough choice, also very close to the beach. 2 bedrooms are common.

No big supermarkets and cinemas, instead quiet beaches, birds chirping.

And until now no jelly fish spotted. Something that is quit common in Hua-Hin and Cha-Am.

Edited by Khun Jean

And until now no jelly fish spotted. Something that is quit common in Hua-Hin and Cha-Am.

K. Jean .. are you looking carefully? The water around Bangsaphan proper (Ban Chai Talay) is too dirty to see them. Bangsaphan Yai .. didn't spend much time there, so I don't know. Ban Krut and Don Samran beaches have clear water and a fair number of those itchy critters.

And do those 18 wheelers hauling steel in and out of that monster plant in Bangsaphan ever disturb the birds chirping? :o

Actually i am in Ban Krut. Like it a lot. Water is clear and swimming is great although not always because of the season.

Ban Krut is small and sometimes not even on a map. That is why i said 'BangSaphan area'.

I was under the impression the 'Monster' steel factory was still not being build because they can not get a licencse and the people from the area were protesting a lot. I could be wrong, just here a few weeks now.

Actually i am in Ban Krut. Like it a lot. Water is clear and swimming is great although not always because of the season.

Ban Krut is small and sometimes not even on a map. That is why i said 'BangSaphan area'.

I was under the impression the 'Monster' steel factory was still not being build because they can not get a licencse and the people from the area were protesting a lot. I could be wrong, just here a few weeks now.

The trucks won't be rolling through Ban Krut, but the steel rolling mill is alive and well. That's the large factory on the west side of the road leading to Bangsaphan. All that's left to question is the smelter, which is what the protest is about. When you drive to Bangsaphan shopping you may well drive past Western Engineering, which is the company that supports the deep water port where the steel ingots arrive. That is a primary source of pollution around Ban Chai Talay.

• 3 weeks later...

Since you like the beach, take a look at the beach from Regent Holiday Inn. At low tide you can walk for many km. Very pleasant very clean and not crowded. Some nice restaurants along the way with great seafood. The Holiday Inn is between Hua Hin and Cha Am, the beach runs north from Regent Holiday Inn towards Cha Am. :o