What Is There To Do For A First Time Visitor To Chaing Rai

sunshine4you

Hi There,

Well, i thought id take a little trip up north, i stay in Phuket. Do a visa run, little shopping..see some sights. Well, all i have seen is a night bazaar, that is more expensive than patong beach, if you can beileve that. I have been to Chaing Mai, and it was much different...people much more friendly and ideas or guide magazines of what to do or where to go. All they give me is guide books for Chaing Mai. So, to the lovely people that live here, can you please send some suggestions my way. Is it best to hire a driver for a day and have him take you around or what? I am not much into tours that treat you like cattle. *S* Thanks in advance...

Sunshine :o

Hi chang35bt,

Well, i can not change my flight....which leaves on the 3rd. i am thinking i may just go down to Chaing Mai, pai somewhere...then comeback for my flight. I cant get a guide book..the golden triangle and hill tribes look nice, but i dont want a tour. Is there private people to hire for drivers? And how do i go about finding them? Thanks for your help...I love thailand, have lived here awhile now but have never encountered this. At a total loss, nice hotel...but i have a nice home in Phuket..lol So, any suggestions would be great.

Sunshine

Hi chang35bt,

Well, i can not change my flight....which leaves on the 3rd.

You still didn't tell K. chang35bt how long you will be in C'rai

i am thinking i may just go down to Chaing Mai, pai somewhere...then comeback for my flight.

Always a possibility.

I cant get a guide book..the golden triangle and hill tribes look nice, but i dont want a tour.

You haven't said much about what you want to do

So, any suggestions would be great.

Sunshine

C'rai has much better trekking opportunities than C'mai. Pai, didn't get up there yet. Doi Tung (both the temple and the gardens) is a great day trip as is Doi Mae Salong. Chiang Saen is a pretty good cultural day trip. Mae Sai if you like shopping .. I suppose your visa run will take you there.

C'rai has 2 nice temples .. although one is downtown .. sorry can't recall the name .. and once housed the Emerald Buddha. Doi Khao Kwai a few km to the edge of town should make a nice spot for contemplation and viewing the surrounding countryside.

Take a stroll dow Jet Yod, find the farang bars and ask information of some of the local expats. Some will be able to tell you where to hire car and driver .. and give you more ideas of what to see and do.

But I'm a bit confused about this "Well, all i have seen is a night bazaar, that is more expensive than patong beach, if you can beileve that." Have you already been to C'rai or do you have a price list?

Guide books are notorious for being out of date by the time they are published. All of the places mentioned are written up on numerous websites. Just go to Google or Yahoo or even MSN and search.

Hi Kilkster,

Thanks for the info. The confusion on the night bazaar is that i live in phuket..and know the prices there very well. When i went to the night bazaar last night, everything was at least 30bt more expensive. Good idea to find some local expats, that will be the plan of the day. I cant seem to find an outdated guide book, and have spent along time on google. They lead to tours and dont have much info on chiang rai. i will head out on foot...maybe that will get me somewhere. Thanks again, any one else with a driver they know and trust..please PM me...id appreciate it. thanks again

sunshine...

Last night I got many very good deals at CR Night Bazaar. Very, very good deals.

Every bookstore in Chiangrai (except Karekaron) has guidebooks to this province.

I know - I consign them!

recommended on this site, and easily accessible through google, is a guide, and there are others

(track of the tiger, chiangrai tourism society)...

rent a motorcycle or bicycle!

enjoy the weather! ride the river, visit the many many parks (more National Parks here than any other province),

check out some hill-top temples, see ethnic costumes and local music...