Australian Aged Pension

Reported inflammatory remarks removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

I apologize for the many spelling etc., mistakes. I’m coming up to 78 years old and I’m working from a wheel chair, and this is causing recurrence of my PTSD issues (panic, anxiety, depression, shaking) from my war service in Vietnam.

I thank you for your service to Australia. As Cold Chisel put it, there were no V-day heroes in 1973.

Best wishes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

I responded to a post asking for some info. about the personal bank details I submitted in my oap application.

I shared what I knew/what I submitted, plus a little bit further detail hoping that it might be useful.

I didn't set out to write a Ph.D. on every aspect/detail etc., of the C'link oap laws and regulations.

Yes there are clauses about residency. I had in the run up to lodging my application done a lot of surfing to ensure I fully understood this matter.

In my surfing I found numerous documents/comments from a variety of sources; some just personal throw away comments on community web boards, a couple from aligned community member based institutions and a couple written by law firms in OZ, obviously looking to gain business - customers wanting a law firm (or similar) to guide them (for a fee). That's capitalism at work.

Some of the online documents/reports (e,g, law firms) gave explanations of the various official documents in regard to oap and continued by sharing a number of Questions they had received and their answers.

I'm recalling the following:

• - A question; about re-establishing residency in Australia for citizens who had been outside OZ for an extended period. More speciifically whether the applicant needed to purchase a house.
  • - Answer; No, a person returning can well satisfy this item by renting a house, apartment etc., but the person would need to have a written/signed lease or rental agreement.

In fact I rented an apartment, with a rental agreement documented on a proper rental agreement format. This was accepted without question by C'link.

• - Question: In these circumstances, after the pplicant has returned to OZ, personallay submitted their oap application and been approved for the oap, is that person required to stay in Australia permenantly.

- In fact In my surfing I found several answers to this question, some seemed to clash, as follows:

• - The applicant/receiver of the oap in these circumstances can leave Australia for short period of time, max 3 weeks and 3 times per year (I repeat here this is from a commercial firm who had written their own materials on the oap).
  • -  another answer:  the applicant can go in and out of Australia as often as they like bit would be advisable to not be out of Australia more than 112 minths in one block period of time.

Another such commercial document someone had asked:

• Do I need to give C'link a written/signed  guarantee that I will never leave Australia again. and If I do leave is it true that my oap payments will be cancelled forever?
  • Answer: You need to say that you are currrently intending to re-establish an abode in Australia, but you don't have any longer-term plans re your country of abode. 

YOU CAN REHASH ALL OF THIS AND CREATE YOUR PERSONAL INTERPRETATION AS OFTEN AS YOU LIKE, I RESEARCHED IT AS BEST I COULD AND PROCEEDED TO APPLY

More recent, after receiving payments I spoke to the C'link international officers a few times and the following phrases/comments came into the conversation:

• - ' You have portability after being back in Australia for 2 years or more, do you understand how that works.?
  • - and 'After you have achieved portability you can leave australia and not return ever and your full oap entitlement continues and C'link will send your payments to a bank in any country that you choose every 4 weeks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can try to interpret this in whatever twist you want. I did my research, got advise, proceeded and I am very confident that I have not done anything wrong in any way.

I apologize for the many spelling etc., mistakes. I’m coming up to 78 years old and I’m working from a wheel chair, and this is causing recurrence of my PTSD issues (panic, anxiety, depression, shaking) from my war service in Vietnam. (My Vietnam service is why I spend most of my time in a wheelchair). 

Please desist, good bye...

Take it easy, mate.  

I never said you did anything wrong.  

As they say, there are two certainties in life, death, and taxes.  Don't let one cause the other.

If our government wants / needs to tax us, so be it. 

It will hurt some more than others, but at the end of the day, there are governments out there in the world abducting people, never to be seen again. 

There are dictators ruling through fear, incarceration and torture. 

There are countries out there where the divide between the rich and poor is to a point where it is immoral. 

There are countries out there locking up political opponents, even murdering them, even when they are abroad.  

I could go on, but you get point.

If / when we are taxed, we are still doing ok, thanks in part to guys like yourself that fought against the afore mentioned things happening in Australia.  

As I have said, Australia is broke.  Expats are not the only demographic of citizen the government will be coming after for money in the future.  

Edited by KhunHeineken
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Australia is not "broke". Review the info below, if you're capable, refute the data.

https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/rp/BudgetReview202122/CommonwealthDebt

Posted this link on a thread I started about it.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/australia-drives-up-debt-to-menzian-levels-with-no-end-in-sight-20211228-p59kg1.html

Quotes:

"Australian government debt has increased the most of any major economy this century, more than doubling over two decades, with the nation facing at least another 10 years of budget deficits."  

"Australia is the only member of the G20, the world’s 20 largest economies, to have increased debt by more than 200 per cent over a period that includes the dot.com recession, the global financial crisis and now the coronavirus recession."

So, if we are not broke now, when will we be, or, is your definition of broke, defaulting?  

Do you think digging a few more holes in the ground is going to fix this mess?  

Edited by KhunHeineken

10 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Posted this link on a thread I started about it.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/australia-drives-up-debt-to-menzian-levels-with-no-end-in-sight-20211228-p59kg1.html

Quotes:

"Australian government debt has increased the most of any major economy this century, more than doubling over two decades, with the nation facing at least another 10 years of budget deficits."  

"Australia is the only member of the G20, the world’s 20 largest economies, to have increased debt by more than 200 per cent over a period that includes the dot.com recession, the global financial crisis and now the coronavirus recession."

So, if we are not broke now, when will we be, or, is your definition of broke, defaulting?  

Do you think digging a few more holes in the ground is going to fix this mess?  

Debt increasing by 200% from a very low level is misleading and fear mongering by an opinion writer. Go back and review the link I provided from Oz government and let me know why Oz is "broke", as I previously requested, rather than deflecting / avoiding the question.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

Question regarding assets test for the OAP please…

If you’re on unemployment benefits when you hit OAP age, do they  (C’link) automatically switch you over to the OAP or must you apply for it and pass the OAP assets tests?

2 hours ago, simple1 said:

Debt increasing by 200% from a very low level is misleading and fear mongering by an opinion writer.

Is it not a factual statistic?  How is the truth, fear mongering, unless the truth should be feared?  

Go back and review the link I provided from Oz government and let me know why Oz is "broke",

I read your link.  It doesn't paint a rosey picture. 

Look at the trajectory the debt is on.   What's going to turn it around, other than raising more revenue. 

How does a government raise more revenue?  Sell offs and / or taxes.  We've already hocked of the country's silverware, that leaves taxes.

The charts in your own link suggest all is not well in Australia.  

as I previously requested, rather than deflecting / avoiding the question.

I haven't deflect or avoided anything.  I invite you to post your opinion on the thread I started about it, because it's a little off topic in this thread.

Instead of using the term "broke" would you be more happy with the term, "approaching our debt ceiling?"  

What would you describe Australia's debt situation as?

Once again, with the debt rising faster than the revenue, if Australia is not broke now, when do you think it will be?  What do you think will turn that debit trajectory around?  Dig more holes in the ground?  

This if from your own link:

Quote:

"Recently, an article in the Australian Financial Review warned that Australia could lose its AAA credit rating as soon as September 2021, due to the Budget forecast of persistent budget deficits over the next decade. A downgrading to AA+ could result in higher interest rates on new debt."  

Is the Financial Review not a creditable publication?  

How far away are we from losing our AAA rating?  It can't stay AAA forever, with the debt rising so fast.  Then, what happens to the Aussie Dollar, which effects expats?  Yeah, yeah, scaremongering again.  It's all rosey, and the pensions and Sinha will keep flowing for expats.  ????  

Once again, what is your definition of "broke" and just how much debt do you think a nation with only 12 million employed can service?  

Edited by KhunHeineken

35 minutes ago, deej said:

This particlar member started only a couple weeks ago  that expat pensions paid

Would be taxable Etc Etc

Now he states that Oz is Broke

Whats next????

I simply posted a link to the residency tax law changes and suggested it may impact all expats because the 183 day rule seems black and white.  

Replies, such as yours were, "I'm on a pension.  It won't effect me."

I suggested it may effect pensions, and because of that suggestion, I have been personally attacked.  Note I used the word "may."  I never used the word "will."  To date, no information has been posted to show pensions to expats WILL BE exempt.  

Same question to you.  Read the links posted by myself, and others, and if you don't call that broke, what do you call broke?  

23 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

I simply posted a link to the residency tax law changes and suggested it may impact all expats because the 183 day rule seems black and white.  

Replies, such as yours were, "I'm on a pension.  It won't effect me."

I suggested it may effect pensions, and because of that suggestion, I have been personally attacked.  Note I used the word "may."  I never used the word "will."  To date, no information has been posted to show pensions to expats WILL BE exempt.  

Same question to you.  Read the links posted by myself, and others, and if you don't call that broke, what do you call broke?  

Firstly your links ,are not Official Govt releases, all P#ss and Wind,  my reliable sourse,s, say  my epat old age pension, is presently not being effected by any forthcoming change,and not likely to be, despite your Marlarky post,s claiming it will be

Perhap,s Oz maybe in debt, but not BROKE, as u again wrongly post ,and can trade their way out of the current  debt in due course????

• Like 2

1 minute ago, deej said:

Firstly your links ,are not Official Govt releases, all P#ss and Wind,

How reliable are government sources in an election year?  ???? 

2 minutes ago, deej said:

my reliable sourse,s, say  my epat old age pension, is presently not being effected by any forthcoming change,

I agree, it's "presently" not being effected.

How do you sources know it will not be effected in the future when the new laws have not been implemented yet?

There's several links from different accounting and taxation firms.  Definitive answers are not available as yet, because the new laws haven't come in.

5 minutes ago, deej said:

despite your Marlarky post,s claiming it will be

You are misquoting me.

I have always said "may" and "could" not "will."  

6 minutes ago, deej said:

Perhap,s Oz maybe in debt, but not BROKE

How much debt would Australia have to be in before it satisfies your definition of broke?  We'll be hitting 1 trillion early next year.   Would you say at 1.5 trillion Australia is broke?  Pick a number.  

7 minutes ago, deej said:

and can trade their way out of the current  debt in due course

Trade our way out with what?

We hardly have any manufacturing left? 

The Chinese will take advantage of our distressed position and get us accept the lowest price for our mineral resources, just like that did in 2008. 

Our agriculture is having problems with climate change in the form of floods, fires and drought. 

Coal is on the way out, both in Australia and around the world.   

What commodity do you see Australia trading in that will see the 1 trillion debt paid back, and over how many decades / generations?  

27 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

How reliable are government sources in an election year?  ???? 

I agree, it's "presently" not being effected.

How do you sources know it will not be effected in the future when the new laws have not been implemented yet?

There's several links from different accounting and taxation firms.  Definitive answers are not available as yet, because the new laws haven't come in.

You are misquoting me.

I have always said "may" and "could" not "will."  

How much debt would Australia have to be in before it satisfies your definition of broke?  We'll be hitting 1 trillion early next year.   Would you say at 1.5 trillion Australia is broke?  Pick a number.  

Trade our way out with what?

We hardly have any manufacturing left? 

The Chinese will take advantage of our distressed position and get us accept the lowest price for our mineral resources, just like that did in 2008. 

Our agriculture is having problems with climate change in the form of floods, fires and drought. 

Coal is on the way out, both in Australia and around the world.   

What commodity do you see Australia trading in that will see the 1 trillion debt paid back, and over how many decades / generations?  

Australia has not taken full advantage of utilising its rare earth metals fully, and the need growth for more nickel, coal is not the going to be the major tradeable metal into the future.

China unfortunately owns a large slice of the Australian Agriculture sector.

However we will await the presentation of the laws on expat pensions, although they may introduce it via regulation and avoid parliamentary debate on the issue. 

1 hour ago, RJRS1301 said:

That is a two-edged sword, if China invades Taiwan I should imagine Australia will do the same to China as the West has done with Putin's Russia, i.e. freeze, or confiscate.

3 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Australia has not taken full advantage of utilising its rare earth metals fully, and the need growth for more nickel, coal is not the going to be the major tradeable metal into the future.

However we will await the presentation of the laws on expat pensions, although they may introduce it via regulation and avoid parliamentary debate on the issue. 

China  owns <deleted> all (-3%.) Brits by far biggest int. investor in Ag.

31 minutes ago, Olmate said:

And, in regard to the oap received by Australians abroad, it's always possible that those who have income under a published threshold will not be affected. 

47 minutes ago, Olmate said:

The impact of the 3% owned and the output exported, is larger than the 9% land owned by the Brits.

Chinese Impacts Aust economy greater 

Brits are less of an economic threat to taxes etc, than the Chinese . Mentioned only response to economy as in post I replied to 

Edited by RJRS1301

6 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

I would say it's a certainty it will be legislated, and yes, that's just my opinion, prediction, making stuff up, gut feeling, suggestion, suspicion and so on.  I have no link for it.

For those of the opinion these changes will not get through, where was all the rejection and criticism by the opposition when they were put forward?  

How they will be implemented is what most expats will be looking at, and that's a wait and see.

I don't think just one commodity, nickel, will pull Australia out of record debt.  Not even gold can do that.  Taxes will have to play their part. and I can't see anyone getting a free pass.  

Yes, China does own a lot of agricultural land, which means they are producing, not buying from us.   

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

And, in regard to the oap received by Australians abroad, it's always possible that those who have income under a published threshold will not be affected. 

Currently, there is no threshold for non resident taxation.  The first bracket is $0 to $120,000, this would be most Aussie expats living in Thailand, whether that be on a pension, or self funded retiree, and that bracket attracts 32.5% from the first dollar, which is $0.  I have posted a link to these brackets in a previous post.

I have seen no proposed changes to the non resident tax brackets put forward with the proposed non resident tax changes.   That's not to say they will not be forthcoming, they might be, but I would doubt it.  Once again, why go to the trouble and expense to change the law, only to then allow so many to stand outside the new law?

The pension may simply be exempt altogether, and let's hope it is.  

It's the 32.5% from the first dollar that is the biggest concern for all of us.  It's harsh, and is basically 32.5% out of what most of us are living on overseas.

It's yet to be seen if "income" means any and all income from Australia, including pensions, or, any and all income from Australia excluding pensions.  That's the wait and see.  

I simply posted the changes as a heads up that they MAY effect everyone, not just self funded retirees.    

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

That is a two-edged sword, if China invades Taiwan I should imagine Australia will do the same to China as the West has done with Putin's Russia, i.e. freeze, or confiscate.

Should what you describe happen, Australia becomes a Banana Republic, virtually over night, then we have a real prospect of defaulting on our debt, as China is our biggest trading partner.  

The Australian Dollar would be near worthless, forcing huge lifestyle changes for expats, perhaps forcing many of them home.  

It's well know China has been stock piling its imports for years and years.  The strategic time for them to gain world superpower status would be to cripple the world's economy and have countries beg them for a seat that their table.  Either that, or World War 3.  

Imagine for a moment everything that has "Made in China" either costing 20 times more, or not being available, for years.

China has been indebting small countries over the last several years with their Belt and Road policy.  Move on Taiwan, and invoke sanctions, they will send the west broke, and they know it.  They could pull the trigger any day.  

Note: the above is only my opinion, making stuff up, suggestion, advice, gut instinct, vibe, suspicion, and so on.  I DID NOT say "China WILL invade Taiwan."

Edited by KhunHeineken

17 minutes ago, deej said:

YOU have posted links on this topic several times????why B/S 

No link for that comment.  

If I posted a link, you wouldn't believe what's in the link anyway. 

It's all "p*ss and wind. Bubbles and froth.  Bubbles and squeak. Farts and froth."  Right up until the part where it become law in Australia.  ????

9 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

No link for that comment.  

If I posted a link, you wouldn't believe what's in the link anyway. 

It's all "p*ss and wind. Bubbles and froth.  Bubbles and squeak. Farts and froth."  Right up until the part where it become law in Australia.  ????

As i have posted perhaps a week ago, i,am a Clean Skin, my house is in order ( so to speak), i have paid all my dues to date ,therefore IF 

any changes occurr  to my present Expat overseas pension  i certainly will be knocked for a Six, in my case (JMO) Status Quao will remain

46 minutes ago, deej said:

As i have posted perhaps a week ago, i,am a Clean Skin, my house is in order ( so to speak), i have paid all my dues to date ,therefore IF 

any changes occurr  to my present Expat overseas pension  i certainly will be knocked for a Six, in my case (JMO) Status Quao will remain

There's a difference between tax avoidance and tax minimization.  Most on this forum would be "clean skins."  It's not about absconding from debt to the ATO. 

It's also not about avoiding tax, it's bout minimizing tax, as seen in the Kerry Packer clip I posted. Minimizing tax is not a crime.  The ATO is just another bill to pay.  No one here is talking about fraud. 

Minimizing tax is a hell of a lot more difficult to do when you want to be an Australian resident for taxation purposes, but don't live in Australia. 

If the 183 day law comes in, it's impossible to request a review or appeal of your non resident tax bill because immigration records show Australian citizens as being outside of Australia, and for how long.  They have you on toast.  As a pensioner, IN MY OPINION, if pensions  are not exempt, your pension MAY simply decrease by 32.5%.  

Yes, should the unthinkable happen and the 183 day law comes in, and is strictly enforced, with no exemptions, you, me, and the vast majority of retired expats will be knocked for 6. 

Members were posting like the government gives a sh*t, or pensioners back home would be outraged and it would be in the papers and there would be riots and they would be burning the Australian flag in the streets.  ???? 

The reality is, not the government, nor pensioners back home, and certainly not the tax payers, give a rat's a** if this comes in, and pensions are taxed as well.  Why would they?

Due to the geographical location we chose to live in, we are at the mercy of these new changes, and how they will be implemented, and it costs the government no votes, and nets them billions of dollars. 

I posted the changes as a head up.  Do with the information as you please. 

Edited by KhunHeineken

18 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

There's a difference between tax avoidance and tax minimization.  Most on this forum would be "clean skins."  It's not about absconding from debt to the ATO. 

It's also not about avoiding tax, it's bout minimizing tax, as seen in the Kerry Packer clip I posted. Minimizing tax is not a crime.  The ATO is just another bill to pay.  No one here is talking about fraud. 

Minimizing tax is a hell of a lot more difficult to do when you want to be an Australian resident for taxation purposes, but don't live in Australia. 

If the 183 day law comes in, it's impossible to request a review or appeal of your non resident tax bill because immigration records show Australian citizens as being outside of Australia, and for how long.  They have you on toast.  As a pensioner, IN MY OPINION, if pensions  are not exempt, your pension MAY simply decrease by 32.5%.  

Yes, should the unthinkable happen and the 183 day law comes in, and is strictly enforced, with no exemptions, you, me, and the vast majority of retired expats will be knocked for 6. 

Members were posting like the government gives a sh*t, or pensioners back home would be outraged and it would be in the papers and there would be riots and they would be burning the Australian flag in the streets.  ???? 

The reality is, not the government, nor pensioners back home, and certainly not the tax payers, give a rat's a** if this comes in, and pensions are taxes as well.  

Due to the geographical location we chose to live in, we are at the mercy of these new changes, and how they will be implemented, and it costs the government no votes, and nets them billions of dollars. 

I  have,nt even got one tin buried, so i heavily rely on my  expats pension to live here, ETC  ETC, therefore   my pension,  what ever forthcoming changes should occur should remain status quao, BTW i have been a non resident for yrs and yrs

And have been through the ropes with Centre Link perhaps 15 yrs or more ago, to retain my overseas pension,and touch wood  so far so good, and BTW only last month , my Medicare was given to me for another 5 yrs, again Touch Wood

Edited by deej

26 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

The reality is, not the government, nor pensioners back home, and certainly not the tax payers, give a rat's a** if this comes in, and pensions are taxed as well.  Why would they?

I think there would be significant pushback. The government has said, after a life of working and paying taxes hopefully,  people can get their pension and move overseas within certain guidelines. The Australian fair go principle would not be consistent with older Australians losing a third of their pension in tax. 

Australia has a big number of people born in a different country and so there would be a lot of noise if they tried to introduce this - if not from the expats then from the broader Australian families and communities.

There are stricter rules around taking other government payments overseas but to force 1000's of older Australians back due to holding a third of their pension I think is not likely at all. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, deej said:

I  have,nt even got one tin buried, so i heavily rely on my  expats pension to live here, ETC  ETC, therefore   my pension,  what ever forthcoming changes should occur should remain status quao, BTW i have been a non resident for yrs and yrs

And have been through the ropes with Centre Link perhaps 15 yrs or more ago, to retain my overseas pension,and touch wood  so far so goo

You are not the only one.  Many are in the same boat.

Nothing stays the same for forever.  We have had a good run.  Our country is in massive debt. (I didn't use the word broke, for your benefit) 

Expats will not be the only demographic of Australian the government will be chasing money from. 

Who knows, maybe they will do like the British system in the link I posted from another thread and just stop CPI increases to those outside of Australia for 183 days.  It's not kind, but kinder than a 32.5% hit.  It would mean guys like yourself will be reasonably fine, but it would stop the exodus of Australians retiring overseas on a pension in the future.  

One thing is for sure, they didn't go to all the trouble and expense to draft the legislation for no reason.  They already know when they will bring it in, and how it will be implemented and enforced.  

All we can do is wait and see. 

Good Luck to all of us. 

Edited by KhunHeineken

3 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I think there would be significant pushback. The government has said, after a life of working and paying taxes hopefully,  people can get their pension and move overseas within certain guidelines. The Australian fair go principle would not be consistent with older Australians losing a third of their pension in tax. 

Australia has a big number of people born in a different country and so there would be a lot of noise if they tried to introduce this - if not from the expats then from the broader Australian families and communities.

There are stricter rules around taking other government payments overseas but to force 1000's of older Australians back due to holding a third of their pension I think is not likely at all. 

'Robo debt' revisited! Nochance.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

What government would you be talking about?  Would it be the government about to be elected out of power?   Where's the opposition's promise to repeal these laws, should they take government?  

I didn't see any backlash or noise from the opposition when these proposed changes were put forward.  Did you? If you did, please post a link. Likewise from pensioner associations, even the RSL.  The silence has been deafening. 

I posted a link from one company setting up a fighting fund to challenge the details, but that would be for more wealthy individuals. 

Just how many people do you think retiree overseas?  Do you think it's enough to influence the government?  As asked before, how many expats make their way to an Australian Embassy to vote at election time? 

As I have said, pensions may be exempt, and I hope they are, but "income" is income, and 183 days is 183 days, and they very well may not be. 

We will have to wait and see, but I certianly don't put any hope in some type of push back, backlash, petitions, riots, flag burning, protests and so on, changing these laws, because there would have been noise already.

If anything, they will do like they do when they push their own pay rises through, 5 mins before midnight, unopposed.