Australian Aged Pension

32 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Yes it is very simple if you're sure you do have 'portability'*. Just call the Centrlink International office in Hobart, free call from Thailand just dial 0018006114136. Always answered quickly, always pleasant, focused and helpful. They will explain where to download the required form (just one form).

*portability - meaning you have qualified for permanent portability of payments (meaning the place/country where the funds are sent is portable across the world). It can be changed as often as you wish.

If you're not sure about Portability perhaps call the Centrelink Hobart free call number and initially act dumb and ask 'Do I qualify for portability of payment?' Then ask where to download the bank form mentioned above

On the downloaded form write in the details you know (your account name**, bank name, branch**, account no. etc.), then take it to your Thai bank and ask them to write something simple to confirm that the bank account details and the SWIFT code you have entered are correct and they add and sign a bank stamp. All completed in a couple of minutes.

** Account name can be a joint savings account (e.g. my OAP is paid into a joint savings account at K Bank, account name is myself and my adult Thai son). Branch doesn't need to be the full street address, just 'Roi Et' or similar. My understanding is that Centrelink prefer the second name on a joint savings account is a family member, but it can be anybody.

Also ensure you ask the Centrelink officer for the very specific e.mail address to send a scanned/photoed copy of the completed bank form.

When I did this I was concerned that they might not be able to read the details (especially the account number) that I had hand written on the form. So I typed a simple Word document, just

a list of the words and numbers I had hand written on the bank form, in big font.

Then I printed my Word ddocument and added this document to the attachments on the e.mail to Centrelink International:

- Attachment 1 - The completed Centrelink banking form with stamp etc., from K Bank.

- Attachment 2 - My Word document (as just above, with names and numbers typed in big font). No signature.

You can also mail the fully completed bank form to them if you prefer, for this ensure you get the correct Centrelink mailing address when you call them.

If you go this overall route your payments are changed to a 4 weekly cycle (every 4th Thursday). However my 4 weekly payment goes into my K Bank joint savings account about 10.00 am on the Monday after the 4th Thursday. No big deal.

My K Bank account is set up so that I get an immediate 'ding' on my phone to indicate there's an SMS message showing there's been some activity funds in / funds out on my joint savings account. This always shows in Thai Baht. 

With K Bank you can set up a 'CREDIT ADVICE'. Every time K Bank deposits these payments to your savings/joint savings account you get a fully detailed e.mail from your bank. I'd be surprised if SCB don't have the same facility.

When I get the credit advice it's already been converted to Thai Baht. But the credit advice document does also show the AUD amount.  

It's difficult to understand whether Centrelink pays the international bank transfer fee or not, but if you are paying it's a very small amount (guess less than 200Baht). Your receiving Thai bank also make a charge to your savings account each time. I get the full OAP, the K Bank charge each time is 120Baht.

It does take a few weeks for Centrelink to get you transferred and fully up and running in the 4 weekly payment cycle. Not surprised.

When I changed to the 4 weekly cycle, they very quickly confirmed receipt of the bank transfer form (above) by e.mail, then sent me a couple of progressive e.mails to confirm they were going through the steps to get me into the 4 weekly cycle and the date I would get the first international transfer and the first payment did appear as they advised re date.

Hope the above helps, please yell if I can explain further.

For any Aussie also receiving payments from the DVA they also have a 4 weekly payment system to your bank abroad, also very easy to set up.

Good luck.

Thanks. That explains it very clearly.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

I can't find my original copy of the actual Centrelink form I submitted by e.mail, however just below I've attached a Word copy of the actual very simple Centrelink form:

Name of bank

Kasikorn Bank (K Bank)

Address of bank

Thailand

SWIFT

KASITHBK

Account number

Name of account holder

Can be joint savings account

Bank writes something to confirm the account name and account number is correct. Thai bank then adds and endorses their own stamp.

Customer signature and date

Customer name (can be a joint savings account)

Customers Centrelink Reference number

XXX    XXX    XXX   X 

Here's the web address for the official Centrlink banking abroad document:

c.link%20bank%20abroad%20payments%20start%20up%20doc%20%20%20aus178-2006l-f.pdf

The original Centrelink form (it's also available online inside the web addrees above):

See attachment.

NOTE:

1. Full street address of the Thai bank branch is not needed, just name of town etc.

2. See SWIFT / BIC.      SWIFT code is what you need. Every bank in Thailand has a SWIFT code.  Ask at the branch or call the bank call centre. The SWIFT code is not restricted information.

Ignore BIC, doesn't apply. 

image.png

C'link banking to K Bank.pdf

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

I'm heading back Oz mid 2023 to do the 2 year stuff.

Called the International # yesterday that other posters supplied.

Wow! What a fantastic resource. The girl/lady I spoke to simply did not just quote legislation/regulations. Not just a "Cheat Sheet" service. She certainly has a brain.

Allayed some fears I were forming.

Of course it all depends (like Thai IO's) who you get back in Oz.

But I feel much better equipped now.

Cheers to all who have contributed.

Edited by Lucky Bones

1 hour ago, Lucky Bones said:

I'm heading back Oz mid 2023 to do the 2 year stuff.

Called the International # yesterday that other posters supplied.

Wow! What a fantastic resource. The girl/lady I spoke to simply did not just quote legislation/regulations. Not just a "Cheat Sheet" service. She certainly has a brain.

Allayed some fears I were forming.

Of course it all depends (like Thai IO's) who you get back in Oz.

But I feel much better equipped now.

Cheers to all who have contributed.

Did International tell you about this legislation :

"A claim for pension can be lodged by a former resident who has resumed residence in Australia only if, on the evidence available, there is a clear intention to remain permanently in Australia. A person who intends to return to Australia for a defined period only (e.g. 2 years) would not be an 'Australian resident' as per SSAct subsection 7(2)."

7.1.4 Requirements for former residents of Australia receiving a portable pension | Social Security Guide (dss.gov.au)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LosLobo said:

"A claim for pension can be lodged by a former resident who has resumed residence in Australia only if, on the evidence available, there is a clear intention to remain permanently in Australia. A person who intends to return to Australia for a defined period only (e.g. 2 years) would not be an 'Australian resident' as per SSAct subsection 7(2)."

7.1.4 Requirements for former residents of Australia receiving a portable pension | Social Security Guide (dss.gov.au)

Yes, but if you don't own a home/apartment etc., in Australia you can submit a typical one year renewable rental agreement in your name (house, apartment etc.) it's accepted as a major point to indicate that you're setting up a home. 

Been there done that.

As Centrelink process your oap application they will also look at your rental agreement (if you do go this route) for another reason - to see if you're entitled to rent assistance. If you are it will start automatically.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Yes, but if you don't own a home/apartment etc., in Australia you can submit a typical one year renewable rental agreement in your name (house, apartment etc.) it's accepted as a major point to indicate that you're setting up a home. 

Been there done that.

As Centrelink process your oap application they will also look at your rental agreement (if you do go this route) for another reason - to see if you're entitled to rent assistance. If you are it will start automatically.

News to me, my understanding is rent assistance only applies to an Australian rental, which cuts out after more than 6 weeks outside Australia.

54 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

News to me, my understanding is rent assistance only applies to an Australian rental, which cuts out after more than 6 weeks outside Australia.

Thats what hes referring to.on retuen to.Oz.

On 1/11/2008 at 6:20 AM, david96 said:

You should contact the local office of Centrelink, the web site is not very explicit. Thailand does not have any social security agreements with Australia.You must be in Australia to apply when you are 65 for age {retirement) pension.

Full pension is 25 years in Australia part pension after 10 years. You can get the payments credited to your Australian bank account. However you must notify Centrelink if you are going overseas and how long you will be away.

Everyones circumstances are different so one should contact Centrelink, in person, and state your case.

There are special requirements for Australian citizens returning to Australia to claim an age pension after living or working overseas for a number of years.

If you have problems with Centrelink staff take the matter up with your local Federal Member their office might be able to solve it with a telephone call.

There's a toll free number to call Centrelink International (in Hobart) from Thailand:

I've called this number many times (calls from Sydney and from Thailand), every call has been pleasant and focused, the officers are good listeners and the discussions have been very fruitful.

My experience was the same on the 2 occasions I went to a local big Centrelink office on the Northern Beaches just above Sydney; very pleasant greeting, waited for about 10 minutes for an officer to be free, good listening and well focused discussion, very courteous and very focused. I did have a problem to prove my identity, the C'link online submittal screen wouldn't accept my Autralian birth certificate number.

The C'link lady (N'thern Beaches office) immediately called C'link Canberra, the Canberra lady checked and then said (on speakerphone) 'please wait 5 minutes and try again'. Tried again and accepted and the C'link lady from Canberra called back to double check the number had been accepted. All very pleasant and focused.  

Going backwards.... my first visit was to establish a personal Centrelink Reference number. All done in 15 minutes. The officer politely mentioned 'you don't need to personally visit a Centrelink office again, unless you want to claify something etc', but you are welcome to come in at any time.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, LosLobo said:

I hear what you are saying. If you have ticked all of the earlier boxes for pension you will be ok. This was discussed with International.

Pensions can be, and are, taken overseas.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Nemises said:

Good to hear …and good luck!

I’m doing the same next year. Able to share any of the fears that you have/had? 

Biggest fear is/was not being able to get back here to extend 1 year stay when due. I had visions of being "locked in" Oz for 2 years.

Travel outside of Oz seems OK.

2nd fear was maybe no financial/age care assistance in these troubled times. (Possible upon circumstances.)

3rd fear was being excluded from Medicare.

If your card has expired you can renew on their phone #.

Sounds like it would be a good idea to have some form of extended travel insurance.

As I originally said, tell Centrelink you are back full time.

And.....like IO's....just hope the Centrelink person is not having a bad day!

Time will tell.

7 hours ago, LosLobo said:

Hi again Los.

Forgot to mention that it was discussed that retention of bank accounts, superannuation in Oz and lodging tax returns (even if NRR- no return required) is good to show intention to return full time.

All sorts of possibilities if you (like me) no longer have secured real estate.

Cheers

Hi again Los.

Forgot to mention that it was discussed that retention of bank accounts, superannuation in Oz and lodging tax returns (even if NRR- no return required) is good to show intention to return full time.

All sorts of possibilities if you (like me) no longer have secured real estate.

Cheers

Please let me share;

Before I went back to Australia I did have concerns that Australian tax matters might cause some complicated in getting the OAP, and I had noticed that you have to write your Australian Tax  file number on the multi-page OAP application form.

I made several calls to the freecall number for Centrelink International Hobart to get clarity / to confirm I had the correct understanding on several points.

In one of my early calls I mentioned to the C'link Hobart lady I had noticed the need to write in my Tax file number. She responded very quickly and pleasantly 'Yes you have to write it in however when your OAP application is received (mail or online) the Centrelink computers record that you have shared your ATO file number but at the same time the number is deleted. She politely confirmed that I had understood her explanation.

I continued 'Are you saying that in processing an OAP application the ATO is not contacted by Centrelink?

She responded 'Yes, that's correct'. 

She continued 'but as I just mentioned your ATO file number is deleted immediately after it's confirmed that you did share the file number'. 

I continued 'So I guess you're saying no part of my historic / current taxation records are taken into account in Cenrelink deciding to approve / not approve my application for the OAP?

She instantly responded 'exactly correct'.  

Edited by scorecard

Biggest fear is/was not being able to get back here to extend 1 year stay when due. I had visions of being "locked in" Oz for 2 years.

Travel outside of Oz seems OK.

2nd fear was maybe no financial/age care assistance in these troubled times. (Possible upon circumstances.)

3rd fear was being excluded from Medicare.

If your card has expired you can renew on their phone #.

Sounds like it would be a good idea to have some form of extended travel insurance.

As I originally said, tell Centrelink you are back full time.

And.....like IO's....just hope the Centrelink person is not having a bad day!

Time will tell.

Re As I originally said, tell Centrelink you are back full time.

Can I suggest don't make such a strong and absulute statement. 

If asked say things like 'it will probably be quite a while before I do any more holidays abroad' or similar.

Re the second last line:

"....... just hope the Centrelink person is not having a bad day!"

Please let me share, I made many calls to C'link International Hobart on the freecall line and I twice visited the big regional C'link office at Norther Beaches. I'm in a wheelchair, both times I went to the Nth Beaches office the officer rearranged the chairs to get me closer to her desk, and on both visits asked if I would prefer if she got someone to help lift me onto a normal office chair. All totally pleasant and caring. 

On the first visit I asked if someone could please call the DVA taxi service to take me home. C'link lady responded instantly 'yes of course' she called and 10 minutes later she wheeled me out to the taxi and made sure I was comfortable.

On the second visit, the C'link officer (diferent officer), when we were near the end of the discussion 'Do you want me to call the DVA taxi service?

On both occasions the C'link officers asked if I was a VN veteran. I responded yes and they both quickly responded 'thank you for your service',  

Every contact I had with a number of C'link officers was polite, pleasant, the officer listened carefully and ensured they had well understood my point, all very focused and I got very clear answers.

Edited by scorecard

10 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Re the second last line:

Please let me share, I made many calls to C'link international Hobart and I twice visited the big regional C'link office at Norther Beaches.

Every contact I had with a number of C'link officers was polite, pleasant, the officer listened carefully and ensured they had well understood my point, all very focused and I got very clear answers.

Yup. Agreed. 

My comment was a mere throw away line.

The Hobart # is professionalism to the 'nth degree.

I was referring to any possible Centrelink person (or other person anywhere) who I may have to deal with face to face when the time comes.

All in some form of jest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Please let me share;

Before I went back to Australia I did have concerns that Australian tax matters might cause some complicated in getting the OAP, and I had noticed that you have to write your Australian Tax  file number on the multi-page OAP application form.

I made several calls to the freecall number for Centrelink International Hobart to get clarity / to confirm I had the correct understanding on several points.

In one of my early calls I mentioned to the C'link Hobart lady I had noticed the need to write in my Tax file number. She responded very quickly and pleasantly 'Yes you have to write it in however when your OAP application is received (mail or online) the Centrelink computers record that you have shared your ATO file number but at the same time the number is deleted. She politely confirmed that I had understood her explanation.

I continued 'Are you saying that in processing an OAP application the ATO is not contacted by Centrelink?

She continued 'but as I just mentioned your ATO file number is deleted immediately after it's confirmed that you did share the file number'. 

I continued 'So I guess you're saying no part of my historic / current taxation records are taken into account in Cenrelink deciding to approve / not approve my application for the OAP?

I regret that I forget to share a couple of further points re Aust. Taxation so I need to add more. I'll go back to my earlier paragraph and add more:

EARLIER, AND MORE DETAILS ADDED: In one of my early calls I mentioned to the C'link Hobart lady I had noticed the need to write in my Tax file number. She responded very quickly and pleasantly 'Yes you have to write it in however when your OAP application is received (mail or online) the Centrelink computers record that you have shared your ATO file number but at the same time the number is deleted. She then politely confirmed that I had understood her explanation.

MORE:  The C'link officer also mentioned:

1. - Before the C'link accepts and then deletes the number provided their systems check that the ATO number given by the applicant is an acceptable number.

2. - One of the basic foundations of gaining the OAP is proof that the applicant has at some time paid Australian tax. Accepting the Tax file number quoted by the applicant is seen as proof that the applicant has at some time paid Australian personal taxation. 

-------------------------------------

NOW BACK TO MY EARLIER POST: I continued 'Are you saying that in processing an OAP application the ATO is not contacted by Centrelink?

She continued 'as I just mentioned your ATO file number is deleted immediately after it's confirmed that you did share the file number'. 

I continued 'So I guess you're saying no part of my actual historic / current taxation records are taken into account in Cenrelink deciding to approve / not approve my application for the OAP?

Edited by scorecard

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

If asked say things like 'it will probably be quite a while before I do any more holidays abroad' or similar.

Re the second last line:

Please let me share, I made many calls to C'link International Hobart on the freecall line and I twice visited the big regional C'link office at Norther Beaches. I'm in a wheelchair, both times I went to the Nth Beaches office the officer rearranged the chairs to get me closer to her desk, and on both visits asked if I would prefer if she got someone to help lift me onto a normal office chair. All totally pleasant and caring. 

On the first visit I asked if someone could please call the DVA taxi service to take me home. C'link lady responded instantly 'yes of course' she called and 10 minutes later she wheeled me out to the taxi and made sure I was comfortable.

On the second visit, the C'link officer (diferent officer), when we were near the end of the discussion 'Do you want me to call the DVA taxi service?

On both occasions the C'link officers asked if I was a VN veteran. I responded yes and they both quickly responded 'thank you for your service',  

Bloke, once again agreed ....BACK FULL TIME.

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Re the second last line:

That wasn't my experience with C'Link. I told the lady I was leaving to live in Thailand, and she immediately said with what I can only describe as glee, "you know your payments will stop once you move to Thailand". I told her I'd been in touch with their international branch in Hobart and know her statement was false and she better check before she tells anyone else that lie. She had her nose put out of joint, and guess what? My first payment was stopped when I moved, so I rang Hobart, told them the story and they immediately reinstated me. So you couldn't convince me that she didn't stop that payment out of spite.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, giddyup said:

That wasn't my experience with C'Link. I told the lady I was leaving to live in Thailand, and she immediately said with what I can only describe as glee, "you know your payments will stop once you move to Thailand". I told her I'd been in touch with their international branch in Hobart and know her statement was false and she better check before she tells anyone else that lie. She had her nose put out of joint, and guess what? My first payment was stopped when I moved, so I rang Hobart, told them the story and they immediately reinstated me. So you couldn't convince me that she didn't stop that payment out of spite.

Err....what payments would stop?

6 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

Yup. Agreed. 

My comment was a mere throw away line.

The Hobart # is professionalism to the 'nth degree.

I was referring to any possible Centrelink person (or other person anywhere) who I may have to deal with face to face when the time comes.

All in some form of jest.

There are professional Centrelink officers, and there are unprofessional ones. I've encountered both.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Will27 said:

Good to see that you're getting some good advice on here.

But as you're not going back for another 12 months, things may change so best keep an eye on things.

True of course.

And good reason for folks taking this route to regularly share their experiences and share any new / adjusted regulations or information they find.  

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2

Think you may have gotten on the bad side of the Centrelink Officer.

Everyone else seems to get by OK.

Your pension should not stop.

Sue them!

This was 12 years ago after I first moved. The payments have been regular since then.