What Documents Do I Need To Marry A Thai Lady?

Farside

Ok i'll start off by quoting a post from a while back then i'll work my way through the questions i have:

to marry a Thai Lady you need a "freedom to marry" (in whatever form it takes) from your embassy, which needs translation to Thai, then you head to the Amphur and get the job done.

I used a translation service which was a lot easier than doing the job myself.

What documents from you do the embassy require for this? I mean, surely they don't know if you are married or not? Or is that information on their computer? Do you need to bring some document from your country to prove you arn't married already and give this to the embassy? I am in the UK and will be marrying in July and so i need all the info i can get to prepare it and take it with me when i go in July,

Also i have been reading conflicting post regarding what documents i need to bring.... Can someone who is a uk citizen and who has recently married a Thai lady please tell me all the documents i need to bring, So far i found i need:

1) Affirmation of freedom to marry,

2) Passport,

3) wage slip (Latest one),

Should i also bring a bank statement to prove my address?

Also on the affirmation it asks for 2 references and some places i read up on say it can't be a family member, But other places i read say it can be a family member? So does anyone know if i can actually use someone like my mother and father as a reference or should i just use 2 friends names and addresses?

Thanks.

:o

Ok i'll start off by quoting a post from a while back then i'll work my way through the questions i have:
to marry a Thai Lady you need a "freedom to marry" (in whatever form it takes) from your embassy, which needs translation to Thai, then you head to the Amphur and get the job done.

What documents from you do the embassy require for this? I mean, surely they don't know if you are married or not? Or is that information on their computer? Do you need to bring some document from your country to prove you arn't married already and give this to the embassy? I am in the UK and will be marrying in July and so i need all the info i can get to prepare it and take it with me when i go in July,

Also i have been reading conflicting post regarding what documents i need to bring.... Can someone who is a uk citizen and who has recently married a Thai lady please tell me all the documents i need to bring, So far i found i need:

2) Passport,

Also on the affirmation it asks for 2 references and some places i read up on say it can't be a family member, But other places i read say it can be a family member? So does anyone know if i can actually use someone like my mother and father as a reference or should i just use 2 friends names and addresses?

Thanks.

:D

Live with her for 5 years, telling her she has to go out to work to support you.

If you are still together after that, then worry about what documents you need :o

Step 1.

Go to the British Embassy in Wireless Road and collect the "Freedom to Marry" form. You do not need to go through security, they will give you the form at the gate.

Step 2.

Fill in the form. I used family members as references even though it says you cannot, and had no problem. The form comes with a complete check-list of what to do.

Step 3.

Take the completed form back to the embassy. If you have never married, your statement is good enough; if you state that you are divorced, you must take the original divorce certificate with you. Wait your turn, submit your form. You can collect the "Confirmation of freedom to marry" the next day.

Step 4.

Take the document to a translator. You will be accosted by one outside the embassy gates, they are probably as good as any other. They will lead you to their office 200m away and do it all there.

Step 5.

Take the translation and original to the department of foreign affairs (?) - they certify the translation - that takes about an hour or two.

Step 6.

The translated document is what you need to take to the amphur for the actual wedding. Also you need your passport. You make a declaration of income but no documentation was required. Your bride needs her ID and house book. She can get a new ID with the new surname issued at the amphur at the same time.

Good luck,

Mike

edit> corrected the order of two steps.

Edited by phibunmike

Step 1.

Go to the British Embassy in Wireless Road and collect the "Freedom to Marry" form. You do not need to go through security, they will give you the form at the gate.

Step 2.

Fill in the form. I used family members as references even though it says you cannot, and had no problem. The form comes with a complete check-list of what to do.

Step 3.

Take the completed form back to the embassy. If you have never married, your statement is good enough; if you state that you are divorced, you must take the original divorce certificate with you. Wait your turn, submit your form. You can collect the "Confirmation of freedom to marry" the next day.

Step 4.

Take the document to a translator. You will be accosted by one outside the embassy gates, they are probably as good as any other. They will lead you to their office 200m away and do it all there.

Step 5.

Take the translation and original to the department of foreign affairs (?) - they certify the translation - that takes about an hour or two.

Step 6.

The translated document is what you need to take to the amphur for the actual wedding. Also you need your passport. You make a declaration of income but no documentation was required. Your bride needs her ID and house book. She can get a new ID with the new surname issued at the amphur at the same time.

Good luck,

Mike

edit> corrected the order of two steps.

Cheers Mike! :o

I'll also take along a certificate of no impedement from the registrar office from where i live, I have downloaded a template for a "Affirmation of freedom to marry" so i'll just add in my personal details and then print it off and take it to the embassy in Bangkok to be signed by myself and countersigned and witnessed by them. This will save me the hassle of having to keep going back and forth to the embassy all the time.

2) Passport,

Thanks.

visa /mastercard and a 10 baht gold chain ought to do it ! :D

2) Passport,

Thanks.

And if you are a genuine case ( and i assume you are ) ,dont worry, its easy, ive done it twice :o

And if you are a genuine case ( and i assume you are ) ,dont worry, its easy, ive done it twice :D

Yeah im a geniune case ha ha. :o

i think you will find that the clerk will run through the application in front of you just to check its all filled out,or you can send it recorded delivery bit if you are local take it in just in case,.

I am going to marry my long-time Thai girlfriend some time in the next couple of months. I get the impression that we will have to allow for two days in Bangkok. Am I right?

Also what financial details do I have to provide? I'm a retired Englishman receiving a UK State pension. I have a Retirement extension and fulfill the 800,000 Baht (made up of pension plus cash in my Thai bank account) requirement at renewal.

Finally, my fiance has a 9 year-old son (not mine). Will I be his legal step-father? I have no problem with that, I just want to know. Having said that, I've just had a thought - perhaps I'll be able to claim a dependant's allowance for him from the UK.

I am going to marry my long-time Thai girlfriend some time in the next couple of months. I get the impression that we will have to allow for two days in Bangkok. Am I right?

Also what financial details do I have to provide? I'm a retired Englishman receiving a UK State pension. I have a Retirement extension and fulfill the 800,000 Baht (made up of pension plus cash in my Thai bank account) requirement at renewal.

Finally, my fiance has a 9 year-old son (not mine). Will I be his legal step-father? I have no problem with that, I just want to know. Having said that, I've just had a thought - perhaps I'll be able to claim a dependant's allowance for him from the UK.

No financial requirements (although your future wife might have something to say)

On your afirmation form you have to write a monthly income, but no one checks.

As for your Ladies Son, you would need to formally adopt him to be legally his father. I gather that is a rather drawn out process.

Yes normally you have to submit you affirmation request one day and collect the document the next day.

There are plenty of companies near the UK Embassy who will do the whole process for you. Including filling in forms, translations,take you to the Embassy, pick up the document and take you to the Ampur to register the marriage. Cost me 9,000 Baht 3 years ago.

There are plenty of companies near the UK Embassy who will do the whole process for you. Including filling in forms, translations,take you to the Embassy, pick up the document and take you to the Ampur to register the marriage. Cost me 9,000 Baht 3 years ago.

That is one option. I had time and like to find out what all the steps are, so I did it myself, cost a few hundred baht altogether.

No appointment is necessary at the embassy; as the other mike said, they will check everything is in order at the desk, then you collect the next day. You leave your passport with them too.

Cheers,

Mike

So basicly.... I don't need to bring anything from the UK with me then. Only my passport :o

No wage slips, No "No impedement to marry" cert from the registrar....

Ok thanks. That's easy enough then, I'll just go to the embassy and get a form and fill it in then give it back and come back the next day for the document.

Thanks. :D

Why let someone get their legal claws into you?

Once you do that, she will be under tremendous pressure by friends and relatives to clean you out.

They start coaching her minutes after the ceremony.

She is probably a good girl so don't put her in that situation.

I made that mistake once. Dumbest thing I ever did.

Avoid any problems.

Live together is my advice.

If you stay together, great. If it doesn't work out, not a problem.

Why let someone get their legal claws into you?

Once you do that, she will be under tremendous pressure by friends and relatives to clean you out.

They start coaching her minutes after the ceremony.

She is probably a good girl so don't put her in that situation.

I made that mistake once. Dumbest thing I ever did.

Avoid any problems.

Live together is my advice.

If you stay together, great. If it doesn't work out, not a problem.

Clean me out? ....First i would have to have something to be cleaned out on ha ha, I have no money / savings of any kind, I'm not really old so i havn't had time to get any savings ha ha, so it would be hard for her family to get a lot from me. :o

2) Passport,

Thanks.

You'll need

Passport, every page photocopied and signed

Bank statement, signed

Utility bills, signed

Council tax statement, signed

Letter from you inviting your G/F to come and marry you

A letter written by you to the embassy explaining how and where you met your G/F

Proof that you have visited and met your G/F

Photo's of you with your G/F

Photo's of your house/flat

Proof that you can support your G/F for 6 months

And anything else that they will ask for after you have submitted all this

And then they will ask for everything again so make 2 copies of everything

Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...
so if you have no savings and no money .how u going to live and support her family.another disaster waiting to happen :o

Well how do you think i have lived and supported myself for the past 29 years? I have had a job ever since i left school.

The only reason i have no savings is because the flights to BKK are so dam_n expensive, I get 2 weeks shut down at work at the end of july then another 2 weeks at xmas and new year... Both times are expensive times to book flights, So i'm paying like £700+ for each flight, Manchester airport not london, London is so much cheaper but is not possible for me to get to, I live up north east of england.

£700+ is the chepest,I look for several hours each day for maybe 1 week before i book anything), i send my left over cash (after my bills are paid etc) to my fiancee to pay her bills and help her family. And yes she does work too. But if i can get her here then we both work then it will be happy days. I don't have to send her that money as she'll be here so we have that to save.

You'll need

Passport, every page photocopied and signed

Bank statement, signed

Utility bills, signed

Council tax statement, signed

Letter from you inviting your G/F to come and marry you

A letter written by you to the embassy explaining how and where you met your G/F

Proof that you have visited and met your G/F

Photo's of you with your G/F

Photo's of your house/flat

Proof that you can support your G/F for 6 months

And anything else that they will ask for after you have submitted all this

And then they will ask for everything again so make 2 copies of everything

Hope that helps.

You're joking me right? Why would i need all that just to marry her? I think your talking about a VISA not getting married right? :o

• 10 months later...

2) Passport,

Thanks.

Signed witness statements from at least 2 Doctors verifying mental stability :o

Farside - the information phibunmike is correct. You don't need an appointment to hand over the affirmation at the embassy. You will sign in front of the staff member - depending on how busy they are it can take around 45 mins to be served.

The only suggestion I would make is NOT to use the translation service near the Embassy as if there is a mistake you will either a) have to take it back and get it corrected and the dept of foreign affairs is out of town area or :o get it redone at the translation office over the road from dept of foreign affairs. I always take the form(s) to translation office near foreign affairs as it is easy to run across the road and get it corrected if there happens to be an error.

Also the time at the Foreign affairs section is about 4 - 6 hours and that is what they call the express service or you can do the snail way and return and collect the next day.

2) Passport,

Thanks.

sanity certificate :D

You really posted on the wrong forum. It would not of grown to 2 pages of nonsense.

Have a look at this page on the embassy website. It tells you everything you need to know.

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for...gister-marriage

As far as the translation goes there are lots of good translation services. Most will handle the the MFA certification for you for a small fee. Which might be less than taxi fare to the MFA and back.