Gotta Love Cheap Labor/spare Parts

Thaiboxer

Just like to say how much we appreciate the cheap labor and spare parts here in Thailand. Many folks on this board have consulting or business type jobs which pay fairly well, whereas my job is done by a great many fellow farangs and pays peanuts. I'll bet you can guess what that job is! :o

A couple days ago, our old tub had a little fever. It turns out that the core cleanout plugs in the engine block were losing coolant. Those plugs were replaced along with the exhaust manifold gasket, two V-belts and the radiator overflow tank. All of this was done for 1,625 Baht (roughly $49.25 US). That amount of money in my hometown would get you an oil/filter change and perhaps a nightmarish repair estimate. For years, the hourly labor rate for everyday cars was $50. Before leaving the US in 2002, it was up around $65, along with the 6% sales tax and whatever else they could squeeze out of you. The mechanic shops here are usually run by Uncle Somchai who knows his stuff, and a few apprentices covered in grease. Some of these guys will climb right into the engine bay if they're small enough, and they'll pull, prod, whack and hammer away until your vehicle is fixed. The guys in the States will generally use paper floor mats and such to keep the vehicle clean. Still, I'd rather put up with greasy fingerprints on the dash than get gouged on the repair bill.

I've never had our vehicle serviced at a dealership, and perhaps we'd get laughed out of the office for bringing in something that old. For those who've used dealerships, how do you find the quality of work? Also, just curious to know what the labor charges at those places are.