Supply Of 'good' Ice In Bkk

simon43

MY GF is opening her new coffee-shop in a few days (blatent advert...). Amongst other drinks, she will be selling iced coffee and tea etc.

Now, that means using ice. (You can tell I know what I'm talking about :o )

Our concern is that the ice supplied to us may not be suitable for the delicate stomachs of farang customers.

How do I know if the ice-cubes havn't been made from water out of the nearest klong?

Can anyone recommend an ice-cube/slush-ice supply company in BKK (near Sukhumvit), that can supply 'clean' ice?

First 3 correct answers will get free beers on me on our opening night :D

In one of your thread you mentioned sukhumvit 24 next to Emporium. I saw a place being renovated just next to the entrance of Emporium... is that yours?

Try to catch one of the pick-up trucks delivering ice to Emporium or mini-marts and restaurants in the area (usually twice a day). These small businesses have filters and fill bottles of water themselves but they buy bags of ice from larger factories, so I don't think you have to worry about the quality...

Have you found your cakes?

Hi Simon ,

Why don't you get a filter and put it in your new place and make your own ice ?

It would probally be more cost effective in the long run and you will know the quality at all times . Just a thought .

Good luck with the new business and I will stop by in December for a cold one .

Has anyone here ever experienced problems that were clearly due to the ice? I haven't, and I've never ever taken any precautions except on my first day in Thailand- on the suggestion of a guide book, I brought some 'baggies' to put the ice in first...Hey, try stuffing that in a glass of coke..What a mess! Tossed all the baggies and just through caution to the wind after that...

Jeff1 - Yes, making your own ice is one option, and we did have an ice-making machine delivered to the cafe for just that purpose. BUt it's a large machine, and our cafe was just too small for this monster! (Looked like it could supply ice to a 5-star hotel :o )

MY GF is opening her new coffee-shop in a few days (blatent advert...). Amongst other drinks, she will be selling iced coffee and tea etc.

Now, that means using ice. (You can tell I know what I'm talking about :o )

Our concern is that the ice supplied to us may not be suitable for the delicate stomachs of farang customers.

How do I know if the ice-cubes havn't been made from water out of the nearest klong?

Can anyone recommend an ice-cube/slush-ice supply company in BKK (near Sukhumvit), that can supply 'clean' ice?

First 3 correct answers will get free beers on me on our opening night :D

will you have espresso made by someone who has pretty good Barista skills ?? OK, I am a coffee snob, but if you do I'll come by for a sample. Maybe this could be your niche ! A coffee shop that actually makes decent coffee (as opposed to that mud from Starbucks) !!

Jeff1 - Yes, making your own ice is one option, and we did have an ice-making machine delivered to the cafe for just that purpose. BUt it's a large machine, and our cafe was just too small for this monster! (Looked like it could supply ice to a 5-star hotel :o )

I think that you got the wrong size ice maker :D

Where did you plan to store the bought ice ?

Has anyone here ever experienced problems that were clearly due to the ice? I haven't, and I've never ever taken any precautions except on my first day in Thailand- on the suggestion of a guide book, I brought some 'baggies' to put the ice in first...Hey, try stuffing that in a glass of coke..What a mess! Tossed all the baggies and just through caution to the wind after that...

You are right!

How can somebody living here for such a long time worry about ice?!?

Only drinking in 5 stars or what?

Thanks for your great reply, Dr Burrito. I've obviously thought about this business (my 3rd in Thailand) for a lot longer than you thought before your posting :D

We have an ice-supplier right now, but I'm certainly right to be concerned about levels of cleanliness of the ice and the sacks that it is carried in. Remember that many people only visit Thailand for holidays, and their stomachs may not be as accustomed to local ice as those who live here.

It makes sense to try to use a proven ice supply company. I have no information as to the track record of our current supplier.

Anyway, this little cafe is finally open, i've eaten the ice, (as have my customers), and no-one seems to be dying yet :o

I have had a two year concern for the ice I eat in my home, I use a lot, but not as much as you might.

I did buy a counter top potable water ice maker for 15K from PowerBuy and it worked fine, Wished I was in BKK and I would bring it over and let you try it.

I ended up with a side-by-side friedge with a particulant filter and it is connected to Chiang Mai municipal water supply and I have had no problems.

If you really want to "promote" bottled water used to make your ice, look at the counter type potable ice machine. You will have to take the ice out when the baket gets full and put it in a freezer as the holding size of the ice basket is about equal to twelve ice trays.

PM me if you have any further questions.