Pellet Gun

mr.buffalo

Does anyone know the best place in Pattaya to buy a .22 air rifle and the approx. cost ? Here in UK I can get a Chinese one for £36 so could dismantle it and put it in the suitcase that goes in the aircraft hold, with the carriers permission of course. Possible to buy a proper .22 or .222 in Thailand I expect but does anyone know the liscence laws ?

Hi

As far as i know the Thais call these bird guns and i think are now banned because of the damage done to the bird life, the Police attitude when i asked about getting any sort of fire arm was if we catch you you go to jail.

I am not so sure on crossbows or slingshots both are on sale in Pattaya but remember if for what ever reason you hit a Thai be prepared to be in the clink many years and or be a substantial amount poorer.

Best stay well away

Edited by martyh01

Yep, I looked into it a couple of years ago and whilst there are ways and means to get one, I was told the same thing, that it wouldn't be good if you got caught with it - even if you were simply plinking at targets. They didn't go into detail about licensing laws, but I think the fact that you're a foreigner would go against you in any event.

You can buy assorted pellet guns in any open thaistyle market from around 500 baht for a browning replica to a coupe of thousands for a rifle-type. Don't go walking around town with one but I'm sure one used for target practice behind your house isn't going to raise any eyebrows.

Edited by Phil Conners

i havent seen any pellet guns for sale at any of the markets in pattaya but have seen the bb guns that fire plastic balls there.my mate has brought a couple over here with him and had to inform the carrier in uk that he was taking with him.you had to tell them a few days in advance and have a secure case to carry it in.....thailand end was no problem.im not sure of any laws regarding them as its not easy as you cant ask a local cop as he dont know and aint interested in finding out really.maybe if you bung em a few baht they might look into it