Way Get To India From Thailand By Boat?

musehead

Yes, several friends have crewed on boats sailing from Phuket to the Mediterranean. All these boats passed thru India. You might try the marinas in Phuket and see if anyone is headed that way and jump aboard.

I tried to get a boat to India from Penang, it was said to be possible but a foreigner had caused trouble in the deck passage so no more foreigners were allowed.

Mind you this was in 1965 so things might have changed....

Colin

As far as i know, there are no scheduled services from Thailand to India.

Also, the wind direction at this time of year means that virtually no sailing boats make the passage as the wind is coming mainly from the west. You can certainly pick up sailing yachts when the wind changes again in October to take you as far as the Andaman and Nicobar islands and you can certainly get a scheduled ferry from there to (i think) Calcutta and Madras.

Getting passage on a freighter from Thailand, Malaysia or Singapore could be your only options - however, why do you want to sail? The sea is in a bit of turmoil at this time of year and a passage would be uncomfortable to say the least.

This would be interesting. I heard that there is a new tourist boat that goes North on the Mekong from the Golden Triangle up to China. I think I will go check that out soon. My fiance is Lahu and I read that about 65% of all Lahu people are along the banks of the Mekong in Southern China so I think it would be an interesting trip for us.

Is there any way, a short, get from Thailand to India by boat?

thanks

There are 2 passenger carrying freighters each month sailing between Sri Lanka (Colombo), and Malaysia (Port Klang), try Freighterworld as mentioned above, or The Cruise People Ltd., in London.