Thai Woman Charged In Husband's Killing Out On Bail, Family Says

funfun

Once again - sorry don't have time to read all the posts since I last visited - but focus on the Canadian media to shame Canada's pathetic influence, do it here, do it there, but do it loudly.

You are wasting your time fighting for justice in Thailand (on your own) and as others said above, few here get justice regardless of their nationality. You need to PUSH Canada into action (I keep saying the Iranian vs. Canada woman murdered) - sure she probably called herself "Persian" as they do .. anyway, Canada listens to Hi-So families just like Thailand- but the great Ace in the Hole about Canada is a smart Lo-So can still F+ck Up a Canadian Government BADLY - so go to work there.

I've said this a few times and will now not return to this thread - good luck to you Wild Rose folks.

ThaiGene2

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a 'westerner' who spends much time in the LOS every year, I have been disturbed by the killings of farangs in the country over the last few years, such as those of Mr. Henry and Mr. del Pinto. Greatly disturbed in fact, as I began to feel that Thai society might not value me as I would like. Then I realised that in each case of a farang death, the authorities were able to learn the facts and apprehend suspects.

If not for the Thais who step forward as witnesses, and those who work as police detectives, these cases would often remain unsolved. Some would remain complete mysteries.

I would like to acknowledge the courageous Thais who come forward as witnesses in these cases, as well as the Thai authorities who work hard to solve them. I believe that in some instances, Thai witnesses knowingly subject themselves and their families to serious risk. These are truly courageous people.

Kevin

I would just like to set the record straight as for "Thais that came forward as witnesses in these cases" I'm not sure where you got that information.

There was a Burmese Housekeeper, who had fled back to Myanmar. The mother was also in the home...of course not a word from her, she is not even a witness.

These people were arrested due to text messages left on the phones and Maneerat's confession.

Mary Jane,

I was thinking of the two Thai, (I believe that's what I read), eye witnesses in the del Pinto case. I believe I read that they were deposed in Bangkok, by a special branch of the police, because it was felt that their lives would be in danger in the Pai area.

Please accept my condolences for your loss. I have never had a loved one killed and I doubt that anyone who has not experienced that, can imagine what it would be like.

I know that this "Listserv' has Thai members, and I just wanted them to know my feelings.

There are very decent and capable Thai people in the justice system here. They don't always prevail, but I hope they will be able to do so in Dale's case.

Kevin

Mary Jane,

I was thinking of the two Thai, (I believe that's what I read), eye witnesses in the del Pinto case. I believe I read that they were deposed in Bangkok, by a special branch of the police, because it was felt that their lives would be in danger in the Pai area.

Please accept my condolences for your loss. I have never had a loved one killed and I doubt that anyone who has not experienced that, can imagine what it would be like.

I know that this "Listserv' has Thai members, and I just wanted them to know my feelings.

There are very decent and capable Thai people in the justice system here. They don't always prevail, but I hope they will be able to do so in Dale's case.

Kevin

Thanks for clarifying, I understand what you are saying. We hope justice is served for Dale. He had so many more hopes and dreams to fulfill, he was quite an entrepeneur...

Also in a statement above, I didn't mean to ruffle feathers :o ..."don't find that in Canada" I meant the ease of making a friend in the way I did with several women in Thailand. These ladies were genuine and wanted nothing in return. In Canada it takes a very long time to make a friend, and that is how I feel. Now for the friends and family here I do appreciate any efforts on your behalf. It doesn't go un-noticed. It is evident who you are when we see your posts.

Now my focus is back to Dale, this is what it is all about.

SLAIN CANADIAN

'Killer' wife released

Calgary family fears moves to undermine justice process after Ranong woman is freed on bail

News that justice officials in Ranong have released a local woman accused of organising the slaying of her Canadian husband has angered the victim's family.

Maneerat Nee, 27, was accused by police of hiring a hitman to kill her husband Dale Henry - shot dead in his Ranong home on February 3 - so she could collect a $1 million (Bt32 million) insurance policy on his life.

Henry, 48, a health and safety officer for an oil firm, who spent much of his life in Calgary, was shot in the head while in his bed by a hitman, allegedly hired by Maneerat.

Henry's sister, Mary-Jane Matheson, expressed dismay after Maneerat was bailed recently for about Bt650,000.

Hitman in custody

Two men accused of carrying out the shooting - Amornsak Keskaew, allegedly Maneerat's lover, and Jinda Sae Tae, the alleged gunman hired to carry out the "hit", are believed to still be in custody.

Henry's brother Richard has been in Thailand trying to sort his death brother's affairs. Court proceedings to have Dale's assets unfrozen were delayed by more than a month. Police needed time to obtain the insurance policy in which Maneerat Henry was named as beneficiary.

In a note to the Xpress, Ms Matheson said news that her brother's alleged killer had been bailed was "sickening", although not a total surprise.

The family was concerned court hearings had gone ahead without them receiving notice and thus were unable to organise a representative to attend. But it was unclear if this was caused by miscommunication from court officials, legal representatives or the Canadian embassy.

Ms Matheson, who lives in Calgary, said she had written to Thailand's Human Rights Commission to look into the case, because of fears efforts have or are being made to undermine the justice process.

Meanwhile, the family of another Canadian shot dead in northern Thailand is also awaiting news this month.

Ernie del Pinto was quoted telling the Calgary Herald he was expecting a report from the Department of Special Investigation into the shooting of his son Leo in Pai on Jan 6.

Ernie del Pinto said he plans to come to Thailand for the court hearing. "I have to face this man who shot my innocent son," he said.

Police Sgt Uthai Dechawiwat has claimed he shot del Pinto, 25, and Carly Reisig, 24, in self-defence during a late-night struggle in Pai.

- Daily Xpress / June 7, 2008

I have received some information, quite disturbing. This is someone who has been paid.

The expats in town are less than enthralled with the lawyer acting on your behalf. The last date he was telling Dale's friends to stay away from court

They are not sure if Richard is aware of what the lawyer is up to, but when I heard he was telling the friends to stay away from court, I smelled a rat.

An Australian friend had a legal problem while he was here, and it was only when he got past the Thai staff that he made any progress. He was trying to adopt his step daughter, and the Thai officials were trying to stop him, he wanted to take her to Australia to get her away from her uncle. A certain Jinda Sae-Tae.

Just bloody amazing...not the first story I have heard about Jinda Sae-Tae !!

I did call the NCCC and have an e-mail address to write to.

Thanks to all for your help. Anyone who writes to me in confidence will remain anonymous!

There is also a fella writing a book on cases such as these. That will make quite a BIG book!

Edited by MaryJane

Mary Jane,

This is one of the most disturbing cases i have ever heard.I hope and pray that whoever did this crime is given the death penalty and it should give a clear message that farangs will not just sit down and accept this..

I feel useless sitting here in Pattaya thinking i could give some sort of support,when you and your family are working so hard to have justice.Maybe thousands of expats all over thailand should go to the court hearing and give support with our voices.I certainly would give all my time up for this just cause.

keep strong,keep safe strong lady.

To Dale's family,

I am so sorry for what has become of this tragedy. My sincere condolences to all of you and to those who knew Dale.

Regarding the granting of bail this is not unusual in Thailand and provided you have good lawyer who is making sure there is no "wriggle room" for corrupt police and Thai officials you would likely achieve the desired result when the case goes to trial. However, it seems you may have some problems with your legal representation so please accept my comments below as trying to be helpful.

I'd have been looking for a Thai lawyer who works in Thailand in a company with foreign or even Canadian lawyers. The law company would ideally have some connection to Canada (as in representing Canadian companies in Thailoand), Canadian clients or companies, or the Canadian Embassy in Bangkok. The bigger the company the better. There may be some reluctance to get involved in a controversial case due to possible tarnish of their other business clients, but you have a good basis to make a personal appeal for their help as "fellow Canadians".

There are several things which would be of benefit if you could engage such lawyers. Specifically it would help to gain access to Canadian government officials both in Thailand and in Canada. You need contacts in both areas, but those in Canada will be of more help to you than trying to directly influence those in BKK. Canadian Embassy officials in BKK are guests of Thailand. They don't want to do anything which will upset their other dealings with the Thais. After all, what happens here affects their diplomatic career and therefore future postings. Don't expect them to make any fuss or become passionate about any particular personal cause of yours. That is exactly what diplomats are trained to avoid.

However, they will be very responsive to directions from their masters back in Canada who their future postings, so it is these offials you need to get help from to put pressure on their BKK counterparts to help you. How to put pressure on the Canadian officials must come from you directly or through the Canadian media. In some ways the shooting of the other Canadian in northern Thailand will help to focus the Canadian media's attention (two stories for the price of one, so to speak). But this attention must be tranferred to the relevant officials in the Canadian government (Foreign Affairs Department, Human Rights, Justice, or similar) who must then take up your cause locally (are there any elections in Canada happening soon ?) and exert pressure on the Canadian Embassy officials in BKK .

Only if Ottawa (your government ?) directs the Bangkok Embassy to watch over this will it happen. Only then will the Thai government feel there is any scrutiny on them and seek to keep an eye on the legal proceedings and ensure some semplace of justice to appease international opinion and reputation. If they don't feel there is any scrutiny on them, they will do the same as the embassy officials...accept the simplest outcome with the least complications. Both the Thai and Canadian government want this issue to go away, of that you can be certain, and the best way for that to happen is to say and do as little as possible.

So, choose carefully the Thai lawyer. Get a Canadian connection,and keep up the pressure on the media to report on the abuse of justice in Thailand. I'm sure you'd happily spend that $! million life insurance on putting away the murderers rather than see it go to criminals due to poor legal work. Using the insurance money to help fund the legal team is a good way to motivate the lawyers to do all that's necessary to achieve a guilty verdict in Thailand. Consider using some of the money to hire a professional PR company in Canada to keep the local media interested in the story. In Thailand to achieve a guilty verdict is much the same process as to achieve an innocent verdict, regardless of the evidence. The right lawyers will know what to do and when. The lawyers are the key. Choose carefully. Good luck.

dear Mary Jane, Crystal and Richard. I admire your resolve.

You're also having to spend money week by week (hotel, food, transport, etc) as the proceedings (or non-proceedings) drag on.

I've hired 2 Thai lawyers for 2 different matters here in Thailand. One was a man who did close to nothing. The other was a woman who, though very friendly, was ineffectual at her job. If all's the same except the choices are male or female, I'd pick a male lawyer and here's why: Women traditionally take a back seat to men in Thailand. Of course it's not supposed to happen in litigation, but cultural mores run deep. A Thai woman will rarely if ever stand up to a male - especially if that male is elder or has a more senior status. (an attorney vs a judge, for example).

Also, try to avoid paying fees up front. As much as possible, pay on results. You'll get much more alacrity from a hired Thai person if you withhold fees until you get the results you're shooting for.

I hate to miss thanking anyone...sriracha john, thank you for posting the publication, it was really inspiring.

bratpack, your heartfelt thoughts are appreciated and believe me, every little bit helps along this long hard road. I do hope Dale's friends do not listen to "our lawyer" and stand united for him and their future.

sibeymai...wow, you sure know your stuff, we thank you very much for your wealth of knowledge. We had been going on advice and help from someone that we thought was sincere...although it doesn't seem that way. It is a real journey. One we never thought (nor does anyone) we would be dealing with. It's only something we read in the papers. I can tell you that our efforts our mainly directed at the Canadian level, although, efforts have been made to reach a certain standing in the Thai justice system...awaiting some feedback from that? Yes, money is not the forefront...justice is. Of course we don't want to see these parasites profit from the crimes, although she used his money to pay for his murder...the worst would be that she is rewarded for doing so as well...YUK!!!! Funds we have had to put out are mounting, and putting off court dates is not helping matters. Smells like abuse of the judiciary process to me. I really hope the NCCC does a full review, just waiting to hear.

brahmburgers, So right you are. I have only made one trip since this happened, my costs were $5000.00 +. Richard is on round 2 and dates keep getting moved forward, can't trust his own lawyer, it is really just not what anyone should have to go through. The death of Dale was hard enough! The first trip Richard took was a reunion holiday to visit, it was booked months ahead...they were so excited...the dates happened to fall around his funeral instead. It sucks!

Well we will see what tomorrow brings??

Thank you for all the encouraging words.

Dear Mary Jane,

moving court dates here is common. It's sufficient for a lawyer not to show up due to a headache for the case to be remanded several months. The Thai ex-PM Thaksin has made the court no-show into an art form. Expect the case to be delayed repeatedly in the hope that interest fom the government (Thai and Canadian) and the media wanes. Also, the longer it goes on the more it will cost you while costing the defendants little extra. The defence lawyer knows he's in for a share of the insurance money if he is successful and time is his ally, not yours.

As westerners know going to court is never cheap and cases like this in a foreign country even less so. As you have said Richard no longer trusts his lawyer. Is a new lawyer going to be appointed ? Your lawyer should be able to defer service fees until after the trial but will most probably charge a premium for this convenience. However it's worth it to get a better lawyer.

I assume Dale's wife is the beneficiary of the insurance policy, possibly the sole beneficiary. Find out if the insurance payout is paid to Dale's estate in Thailand first or if it's paid directly to his wife first. If it's paid to his estate first then spend it on lawyers telling them they will get paid from Dale's estate. Who is the executor of Dale's will in Thailand ? If his wife were to get off (very difficult...$1 million can buy a lot of justice in Thailand) then your lawyers would be paid first out of Dale's estate leaving the "innocent" wife with nothing in the estate. You might even be able to come to an arrangement to "recover" some funds from your lawyer after everything is over. Many things are possible in Thailand. However, if the money is paid directly to the wife then the lawyers risk not being paid if she is found innocent which won't be very motivating for them.

Beware also that it's possible to appeal all the way to the Supreme Court. I'm not certain but from the current court the next is the Appeals Court then the Supreme Court. With the wife (and the wife's lawyer) standing to gain from the insurance you can bet there will be appeals with the defendants likely to remain free on bail during the whole time. Unfortunately evidence and witnesses tend to disappear between courts.

Again, I say use the best lawyers you can find and afford. They will be expensive, but justice has never been cheap, even in Thailand. Be prepared for a long path through the courts and, if the insurance is paid to Dale's estate first, be prepared to spend every $ in seeking justice for Dale. If you can't get justice for Dale, at least you might be able to stop those responsible from profiting.

If it were me, I'd find some satisfaction in, if the accused were found innocent, knowing that there was little of the insurance money left because you spent it on trying to get a guilty verdict. The defendants still have to pay their own defence costs at the end of the appeals so effectively you might force them into selling their other assets (cars, property, etc) which Dale provided to cover the costs, effectively bankrupting them. Now that would be a shame.

Sibeymai...you seem very intelligent...thank you for all the different avenues to ponder or pursue.

I am hoping more media is going to pick up on this story, I had a call from Canadian press yesterday...I will talk with them today. So things are looking up.

Frustration grows for two Calgary families who had loved ones slain in Thailand

CALGARY — Two Calgary families whose loved ones were slain in Thailand earlier this year say they're increasingly frustrated as they look for justice from 12,000 kilometres away.

They also say they feel helpless as they try to keep track of a complex legal system and they sometimes fear that those accused in the deaths may not be properly prosecuted.

Canadian oil worker Dale Henry, 48, was shot to death at close range at his home in Ranong on Feb. 3 as he slept in front of his television. His 27-year-old wife, her lover and an alleged hit man have been arrested.

Thai authorities allege that Maneerat (Nee) Henry, the man's wife of five years, waited until he fell asleep before sending a text message to her lover, a Thai man, who they say entered the house along with a hired hit man through a door she had left unlocked.

The family alleges Henry was killed for a $1-million life insurance policy provided by his company, which named his wife as the beneficiary.

"You really could make a movie out of this," said Henry's sister, Mary-Jane Matheson, in an interview with The Canadian Press in Calgary.

"The two are out of jail, Nee and her boyfriend, but the hitman is still in jail apparently. They got out through an appeals court. We weren't notified by the embassy," she said.

"It's pretty disgusting."

The preliminary hearing for the trio was originally scheduled for May 28. It was put over to June 2 and is now scheduled for June 23.

Matheson said another sore point is what she sees as a lack of pressure from the Canadian government. Other than occasional updates from Foreign Affairs, there is little the federal government has done to move the case along, she suggested.

"Apparently our government is a guest in Thailand. I think a lot of the Foreign Affairs (Department) is built for trade," she said.

"It's just a big slap in the face and our country isn't helping. They maybe send a letter to pacify you a little bit but have done nothing significant," said Matheson. "How lame is that when one of your citizens is killed there."

Foreign Affairs officials were not immediately available for comment.

Henry, who grew up in Victoria and worked as a paramedic and firefighter in Alberta for 30 years, had been working in Nigeria as regional head of safety for Noble Drilling. Every three months he would spend a month with his wife in Thailand.

He is not the only Canadian attacked and killed in that country this year. Leo Del Pinto of Calgary was shot in the head and chest in the northern town of Pai in January. An off-duty Thai police sergeant was arrested and charged with premeditated murder. He also faces attempted murder in the shooting of the man's friend, Carly Reisig of Victoria, who was badly injured.

The Del Pinto family is at least aware of what's going on in the case, but is eager for a trial to begin.

"What's going on right now is the prime minister of Thailand is the head of the department of special investigations. They have taken over the case," said the victim's father, Ernie Del Pinto.

A report from the special investigations unit is expected sometime next week.

"I want them to tell me when there is a trial, when there is a date and I'm ready to pack and ready to go," Del Pinto said. "I want to look him right in the eyes."

He was also concerned when he found out his son's alleged attacker was allowed to remain free.

"Within 24 hours they gave him his gun and badge back and put him back on the job," Del Pinto said. "This is ridiculous and they told me they sent him up north to somewhere else so the tourists wouldn't be afraid."

- The Canadian Press (1 hour ago)

He (Ernie Del Pinto) was also concerned when he found out his son's alleged attacker was allowed to remain free.

"Within 24 hours they gave him his gun and badge back and put him back on the job," Del Pinto said. "This is ridiculous and they told me they sent him up north to somewhere else so the tourists wouldn't be afraid."

I reside 'up north' - I sure don't want that rogue drunkard bloodstained cop roaming around here. Thailand has a long way to go to begin the process of cleaning up its image.

Edited by brahmburgers

I don't see how any insurance company with a conscience could give the life insurance money to her in this case, even if by some travesty of justice she's found not guilty.

Sorry JimJim, gotta laugh at your reference to insurance companies with a conscience. There is no such thing. The insurance company must legally pay according to the policy contract and only withold payment where there is fraud involved or they can exercise a no-payment clause in the policy contract. Some countries have laws which prevent perpetrators of crimes from benefitting financially from their crimes (Mary Jane, does the country where the insurance policy was issued have such a law, or the country to which the funds will be sent ?) and some policies may have exclusion clauses in such instances.

Bill Graveland with the Canadian Press: I googled our story and what came up was so overwhelming I just started balling. I thought it was swept under the rug, not to be heard of again. I commend you on following through with what you stated you would. That being, putting the pressure on through the media and bringing life back to thes stories.

You have done a tremendous job!! (BTW...an umbrella is looking realy good right now!)

Keep your strength up MaryJane. We are all thinking of you and supporting you. It must be so so difficult but know that people support you. Your strength is phenomenal.

Wishing you all the best in your fight for justice in this, at times, 'justice backward' country.

Andiamo

Scary one yesterday. We were sat outside the house, and this couple we know were going past on their motorbike. Sopha said, they asked him to shoot Dale but he said it was not enough money for a Farang killing. Sopha says he has retired, I certainly hope so.

Thanks Mosha...That is so scarey...how do you feel living with that type of mentality around? I wouldn't sleep. Life has no value ... money does I guess.

Thank you Andiamo for your encouragement :o

Scary one yesterday. We were sat outside the house, and this couple we know were going past on their motorbike. Sopha said, they asked him to shoot Dale but he said it was not enough money for a Farang killing. Sopha says he has retired, I certainly hope so.

I have the same siege mentality I had in Yorkshire. I used to lock and bolt the doors even when in the house watching tv at night. The crime wasn't even that bad, a few dickheads causing 95% of the trouble. You just don't open doors unless you know who it is. :o

Mosha...locks are for innocent people with no hidden agendas. :o

Here is an article that went National in Canada. I am really happy about that.

Frustration grows for two Calgary families who had loved ones slain in Thailand

June 10, 2008 - 17:46

Bill Graveland, THE CANADIAN PRESS

CALGARY - Two Calgary families whose loved ones were slain in Thailand earlier this year say they're increasingly frustrated as they look for justice from 12,000 kilometres away.

They also say they feel helpless as they try to keep track of a complex legal system and they sometimes fear that those accused in the deaths may not be properly prosecuted.

Continued Below

AdSpot("macleans","science",3,300,250); Canadian oil worker Dale Henry, 48, was shot to death at close range at his home in Ranong on Feb. 3 as he slept in front of his television. His 27-year-old wife, her lover and an alleged hit man have been arrested.

Thai authorities allege that Maneerat (Nee) Henry, the man's wife of five years, waited until he fell asleep before sending a text message to her lover, a Thai man, who they say entered the house along with a hired hit man through a door she had left unlocked.

The family alleges Henry was killed for a $1-million life insurance policy provided by his company, which named his wife as the beneficiary.

"You really could make a movie out of this," said Henry's sister, Mary-Jane Matheson, in an interview with The Canadian Press in Calgary.

"The two are out of jail, Nee and her boyfriend, but the hitman is still in jail apparently. They got out through an appeals court. We weren't notified by the embassy," she said.

"It's pretty disgusting."

The preliminary hearing for the trio was originally scheduled for May 28. It was put over to June 2 and is now scheduled for June 23.

Matheson said another sore point is what she sees as a lack of pressure from the Canadian government. Other than occasional updates from Foreign Affairs, there is little the federal government has done to move the case along, she suggested.

"Apparently our government is a guest in Thailand. I think a lot of the Foreign Affairs (Department) is built for trade," she said.

"It's just a big slap in the face and our country isn't helping. They maybe send a letter to pacify you a little bit but have done nothing significant," said Matheson. "How lame is that when one of your citizens is killed there."

Foreign Affairs officials were not immediately available for comment.

Henry, who grew up in Victoria and worked as a paramedic and firefighter in Alberta for 30 years, had been working in Nigeria as regional head of safety for Noble Drilling. Every three months he would spend a month with his wife in Thailand.

He is not the only Canadian attacked and killed in that country this year. Leo Del Pinto of Calgary was shot in the head and chest in the northern town of Pai in January. An off-duty Thai police sergeant was arrested and charged with premeditated murder. He also faces attempted murder in the shooting of the man's friend, Carly Reisig of Victoria, who was badly injured.

The Del Pinto family is at least aware of what's going on in the case, but is eager for a trial to begin.

"What's going on right now is the prime minister of Thailand is the head of the department of special investigations. They have taken over the case," said the victim's father, Ernie Del Pinto.

A report from the special investigations unit is expected sometime next week.

"I want them to tell me when there is a trial, when there is a date and I'm ready to pack and ready to go," Del Pinto said. "I want to look him right in the eyes."

He was also concerned when he found out his son's alleged attacker was allowed to remain free.

Hopefully this will shake things up a bit?

Hi Everyone,

I never know what to post? But I do come here and read everyday. Everyone on here has been so kind and helpful, our family really appreciates all the nice words and very helpful info. Thanks so much. Mosha That is crazy and scary, To bad word never got back to Dale while she was out shopping for her hitman. I wish we could get info from the insurance company about their clauses. wether she is found guilty or not, she confessed. could they pay her still? If the insurance company could clear that up and the answer was no then Nee wouldn't have a pot to piss in and maybe justice might be served.

Crystal

Hi Everyone,

I never know what to post? But I do come here and read everyday. Everyone on here has been so kind and helpful, our family really appreciates all the nice words and very helpful info. Thanks so much. Mosha That is crazy and scary, To bad word never got back to Dale while she was out shopping for her hitman. I wish we could get info from the insurance company about their clauses. wether she is found guilty or not, she confessed. could they pay her still? If the insurance company could clear that up and the answer was no then Nee wouldn't have a pot to piss in and maybe justice might be served.

Crystal

"A person convicted of felonious homicide of another person, by way of murder or manslaughter, takes no estate or interest in property of any kind from the other person..."

Some states which do not have these kind of statutes have provisions, usually in their Insurance Codes, like the following, which comes from Texas:

"The interest of a beneficiary in a life insurance policy or contract heretofore or hereafter issued shall be forfeited when the beneficiary is the principal or an accomplice in willfully bringing about the death of the insured. When such is the case, the nearest relative of the insured shall receive said insurance."

Maneerat Nee, Henry's wife of five years who was 27 at the time of the killing, is accused of hiring a hit man so she could collect on his $1-million life-insurance policy.

Are there still guys dumb enough to buy life insurance policies on their own lives...it's just like signing your own death warrant :o

The first thing a wise old-timer told me when I first came to Thailand is to always make sure that if you get involved with Thais in any way (business, romance, whatever) to always be sure that you are more valuable to them alive than if you are dead. For if it is the other way around, it won't be long before you are in fact dead!

A decade later, I'm still kicking :D

It's such a simple rule...why do so many not heed it?

Very true Mr BKK. Perhaps some members may recall the kiwi guy murdered by his girlfriends young thai lover a few years ago. He had deposited a million baht or so into her account and the day before she was to give it back - he was to buy some land or property - she arranged for him to be shot. She used the gold he had bought her to pay the scum to do the act. This guy was a fit good looking guy and apparantley treat her well - even having bought her family a house. to cut a long story, she was freed by the court and fined 1 million baht because she said he had abbused her. The hit boy remains in jail - no money. Making any links yet - girl free - money to be had!!!!!