Retirement Visa Question: Criminal Background Check

To the American experts...

I have everything together to apply for a retirement visa (Non-O A), except the criminal background check.

What's the best (and faster) place to get this in 1) Washington State; 2) Oregon?

I want to make sure I have the right report, (i.e., local, state, federal?), and can submit the application to the Portland Consulate ASAP.

Thanks.

Two things I would do. The cheapest and easiest thing is to approach your LOCAL police department and ask them if you can pay for such a report. Then, if they say, yes, ask the consulate if this specific kind of report will be OK. I bet it probably will be.

I went to the Oregon State Police office in Portland. They will give you the info and forms to mail into the State Police office that handles criminal history reports. You will have to send in a fingerprint card with it and a fee. They will give you the locations to get finger printed.

Allow up to ten business days to receive your response.

This was the right paper for the Thai Consulate in Portland.

Since when is a criminal background check required to apply for retirement visa?

I ask because I will have to apply soon aswell but was not aware of this requirement.

It is required if applying for an O-A visa in your home country. The O-A is usually what people call a retirement visa.

The O-A also requires a you file a medical form (supplied by the Thai embassies).

It is not required if applying for an extension based on retirement in Thailand. People going this route never need the O-A. They get a regular O either abroad or even in Thailand if qualified to apply for the extension in Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing

I checked with the Thai consulate via e-mail and they suggested that I go to the Multnomah (Portland) County Sheriff's office for a local report. That is all they require.

Thanks for the input!

This is all I used, all they did was run a want // warrant search the entire thing took about 10min and no charge.

Since when is a criminal background check required to apply for retirement visa?

I ask because I will have to apply soon aswell but was not aware of this requirement.

It is required if applying for an O-A visa in your home country. The O-A is usually what people call a retirement visa.

The O-A also requires a you file a medical form (supplied by the Thai embassies).

It is not required if applying for an extension based on retirement in Thailand. People going this route never need the O-A. They get a regular O either abroad or even in Thailand if qualified to apply for the extension in Thailand.

Thanks for the explanation jingthing.But why would one want to go that route if it is so much easier when applying for an extension of stay while in thailand.

Are there advantages when you apply in your home country for an O-A visa?

Edited by basjke

The multi entry OA is valid for one year of travel with a one year stamp on each entry into Thailand. It odes not require re-entry permit during this year. You can enter the day before it expires and still have another year stay in Thailand on entry so covers almost two year stay. There is no need for any money in Thai bank (if not using pension) until you extend your stay almost two years down the road.

Are there advantages when you apply in your home country for an O-A visa?

Lopburi answered this. However, I do want to add that starting out on the O rather than the O-A does not mean you have a lesser status over time. With both types, the person retiring in Thailand for years will eventually be here strictly on one year extensions based on retirement and subject to the exact same annual approval requirements and the same possibility of annual rejection. So the O-A provides some advantages but only in the early part of your retirement.

I pointed this out because I have read some posts from O-A holders which indicate they think they are the only ones here on legitimate visas for retirement and are somehow in a higher status class of visa holders. This isn't true. After the early years advantages, both classes (starting on O or O-A) are the SAME class.

One more O-A advantage to add: applying for the O-A in your home country and getting approved gives you the peace of mind that you are good to stay once you move to Thailand. If you choose to start with the O visa to extension method, you will first move to Thailand, and then apply in Thailand for the extension. Of course, alot of older people will prefer the increased security of knowing they are approved and go for the O-A.

Edited by Jingthing

The multi entry OA is valid for one year of travel with a one year stamp on each entry into Thailand. It odes not require re-entry permit during this year. You can enter the day before it expires and still have another year stay in Thailand on entry so covers almost two year stay. There is no need for any money in Thai bank (if not using pension) until you extend your stay almost two years down the road.

Thank you for the answer.What will be the regular charge for an O-A visa?

One more O-A advantage to add: applying for the O-A in your home country and getting approved gives you the peace of mind that you are good to stay once you move to Thailand. If you choose to start with the O visa to extension method, you will first move to Thailand, and then apply in Thailand for the extension. Of course, alot of older people will prefer the increased security of knowing they are approved and go for the O-A.

I have just got an O-A visa from the Thai Embassy in London, my main preference over the O/extension-in-Thailand method being as stated by Jingthing.

My visa was issued on 13 Aug 2008, with an "enter before" date of 12 Aug 2009. I am planning to travel from the UK to Thailand on 25 Oct 2008, arriving on 26 Oct 2008. I would, however, welcome clarification of 3 points with you Thaivisa resident visa experts:-

(1) Upon my arrival at Suvarnabhumi on 26 Oct 2008, should the "admitted until" date which is stamped in my passport be 25 Oct 2009?

(2) I am planning a visit to the UK with my tiirak (so long as we can get the necessary UK visa for her) in the summer of 2009. Provided that I returned to Thailand by 12 Aug 2009, should the "admitted until" date which is then stamped in my passport be 11 Aug 2010? Or will the relevant dates, in fact, be 11 Aug 2009 and 10 Aug 2010 respectively?

(3) In any event, would I be correct in believing that I would not need to seek a re-entry permit for any trip made outside Thailand before 13 Aug 2009, but that I would for any such trip made after that date (notwithstanding my original "admitted until" date of 25 Oct 2009 as per (1) above)?

1. Yes

2. Need to know if multi entry or single entry visa

3. If single entry visa any travel will require re-entry permit. If multi entry any travel with a return after expiration of visa will require re-entry permit.

You need to enter Thailand the day before your visa expires. So if you enter August 11, 2009 you will be stamped in until August 10, 2010.

Many thanks for your advice, lopburi. Just one further question. Assuming that events materialise as I have outlined them, would I need to take any action to secure a formal extension in my O-A visa upon its expiry on 12 Aug 2009? Or would I not need to do anything as far as the Thai immigration authorities are concerned until near the expiry of the 10 Aug 2010 "admitted until" date in my passport, from when I shall presumably need to start applying for yearly extensions of stay in Thailand?

Assuming the latter, would the procedure involve me submitting a completed TM7 form together with photo, 1,900 baht fee and necessary financial evidence (i.e. Thai bank account statements confirming constant minimum balances of 800,000 baht over at least the preceding 3 months, or formal confirmation from the UK Embassy of minimum monthly income of 65,000 baht or 40,000 baht if I were to marry my tiirak in the meantime) to my local immigration office? And, with reference to the advice which you have today given on another thread in connection with an O visa extension, could I submit my initial application within 30 days before 10 Aug 2010?

I am, of course, assuming no fundamental procedural/requirement changes over the next 2 years.....

OJAS, in your situation the various options available to you can be a little confusing. The first thing to understand is that with your multiple-entry non-O-A visa, which was issued on 13 AUG 2008 and must be utilised before 12 AUG 2008, you can enter Thailand any time and as many times as you wish between 13 AUG 2008 and 11 AUG 2009 and on each arrival you will receive an entry stamp giving you permission to stay for one year from the date of entry. Therefore, after your first arrival in Thailand on 26 OCT 2008 you have the following two options for your long-term stay for retirement:

Option 1: with travel outside Thailand

Step 1:

a) On 11 AUG 2009 or shortly before that date, make one last entry into Thailand and revive a new entry stamp with permission to stay for one year. This can be a day trip to a neighbouring country and return to Thailand.

B) If you wish to travel abroad, ie outside Thailand, and return to Thailand after 11 AUG 2009, get a re-entry permit from an immigration office before you leave Thailand. This will keep your permission to stay alive.

Step 2: a) During the last 30 days of your new permission to stay, apply at the nearest immigration office for a one-year extension of stay for retirement. Thereafter, repeat this application every year.

B) Again, if you wish to travel abroad during the period of your extension of stay, get a re-entry permit from an immigration office before you leave Thailand in order to keep your permission to stay alive.

Option 2: without travel outside Thailand

a) On your arrival in Thailand on 26 OCT 2008 you receive permission to stay until 25 OCT 2009. During the last 30 days of this period, apply at the nearest immigration office for a one-year extension of stay for retirement. Thereafter, repeat this application every year.

B) If you wish to travel abroad, ie outside Thailand, and return to Thailand after 11 AUG 2009, get a re-entry permit from an immigration office before you leave Thailand. This will keep your permission to stay alive.

The requirements for evidence of financial status are spelt out in paragraph 7.21 of the Royal Thai Police Order 606/2549:

(3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than Baht 800,000 as shown in bank account transactions for the past 3 months; or

(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application

--

Maestro

:o If you wish to travel abroad, ie outside Thailand, and return to Thailand after 11 AUG 2009, get a re-entry permit from an immigration office before you leave Thailand. This will keep your permission to stay alive.

Many thanks for your comprehensive reply, Maestro. If I were to travel abroad and return after to Thailand after 11 Aug 2009 with valid re-entry permit, would I then be stamped in for a further year?

No, only until the expiration date of your new permission to stay. Example:

You use your multiple-entry non-O-A visa to enter Thailand for the last time on 11 AUG 2009 and receive permission to stay until 10 AUG 2010. After getting a re-entry permit you leave Thailand on 20 OCT 2009 and return to Thailand on 5 NOV 2009. On the arrival card, in the space for visa number, you must enter the details of your re-entry permit. The immigration officer will give you an entry stamp with permission to stay until 10 AUG 2010. This is what the re-entry permit does; it keeps your current permission to stay, in this example until 10 AUG 2010, alive.

--

Maestro

The requirement for retirement is 800k or 65k or combination. There is no change if you are married. There is another extension of stay provision that allows family extension of stay with proof of 40k per month income but that requires wife and other paperwork not required for retirement extension.

lopburi3,

First off, you receive my highest respect and praise for your amount of contribution to this board! (Maestro as well)

Now that I have properly "greased the wheel", just kidding.....my true feelings.

I am thinking of taking a teaching job for 2009. Can I obtain a work permit while on an O-A Visa?

If so, can the O-A visa be kept separated from the WP so that if there is a change in employment, I can retain all the "rights" that a regular holder of an O-A that hasn't worked has maintained?

I don't want my employer, if possible, to have leverage on me because of visa considerations.

Secondly, for the first request of visa based upon retirement, does the money-in-the-bank option require it is in a Thai bank? I think there is some ambiguity in the retirement visa requirements I've read but clearly a second extension does require seasoned money in a Thai bank.

Regards,

Martian

Edited by Martian

1. The new work permit rules seem to allow issue on a retirement extension of stay; so suspect that would also apply to a retirement OA visa entry. But not all offices seem to be using the same game book yet.

2. If extension of visa is for retirement it will have nothing to do with work. As long as you can meet the financial requirements.

3. Only Consulate issue OA visas do not require money in Thai bank account. Any extension of stay from immigration for retirement requires the money be here. But for home country visa issue it is not required.

1. The new work permit rules seem to allow issue on a retirement extension of stay; so suspect that would also apply to a retirement OA visa entry. But not all offices seem to be using the same game book yet.

2. If extension of visa is for retirement it will have nothing to do with work. As long as you can meet the financial requirements.

3. Only Consulate issue OA visas do not require money in Thai bank account. Any extension of stay from immigration for retirement requires the money be here. But for home country visa issue it is not required.

Perhaps I am leaving out some important information here and/or don't understand the O-A Visa. Safe to say, probably both!

I won't be 50 years old until almost one year from now, does that mean I cannot apply for the visa being spoken about here that if you get it multi-entry, you can basically stay for 2 years as long as you leave and enter at the proper timing (without needing re-entry permit)?

My thoughts were not to get the Non-B that the school asked me to get (and they would pay for extension based upon job) if I can get the work permit while on another type of visa that isn't "linked" to my employment. I just don't want to be placed into a compromising position because someone at my place of employment decided to be stupid or something.

If that is possible, I would like to know how.

Secondly, can one deposit the retirement money into an account different than regular passbook to "season", such as money market or something earning better interest? If not, then can one transfer the money out for almost 9 months into a higher yield account somewhere else and then transfer it back in just 3 months before visa extension time?

My guess is that there are Thai banking laws that restrict that kind (amount) of money being highly liquid between countries?????

Regards,

Martian

OJAS, in your situation the various options available to you can be a little confusing. The first thing to understand is that with your multiple-entry non-O-A visa, which was issued on 13 AUG 2008 and must be utilised before 12 AUG 2008, you can enter Thailand any time and as many times as you wish between 13 AUG 2008 and 11 AUG 2009 and on each arrival you will receive an entry stamp giving you permission to stay for one year from the date of entry.

Just double-checking, but shouldn't that read: "which was issued on 13 AUG 2008 and must be utilised before 12 AUG 2009" ?

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up my Non-Immigrant O-A today at the Portland, Oregon (Honorary) Thai Consulate Office.

It took all of about 5 minutes. A couple of items worth mentioning:

1) The office has moved from the World Trade Center to NW Portland - 1136 NW Hoyt, Suite 220

2) They issue multiple entry O-As (for $175)

3) Two (2) copies of the application packet are required (application w/picture, additional information form, copy of passport, bank statement, bank letter, medical certificate, criminal background check)

4) They accepted a copy of an on-line criminal background check from the Washington State Police

Very easy... :o