Hashimoto's thyroiditis

eek

Looking for some advice, if anyone knows.

Originally I made a thread some time ago about my hyper/hypo thyroid problem (not necessary to read this of course!): http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Hypothyroidi...;hl=hypothyroid

My thyroid levels are now normal, and i take a small pill each day to keep it that way.

Problem is, im having a re-occurring goiter on my neck/gland. A few weeks ago when it got quite bad and swollen I was given a weeks dose of steroids, which brought the goiter down (not completely but sufficiently). All was ok for a week or so, but now the goiter is back up (and i think worse than before). Its hard to swallow and I feel a strong pressure and tightening in my throat.

Im wondering whats going on as my thyroid levels show as normal. Is there anyway to naturally bring down the goiter? Could it be from food im eating?

I will go back to the hospital again, but i dread the idea of further steriods. Just confused as to what is going on.

Any tips / advice would be most helpful.

Thank you.

Dear Eek,

From what I recall of your case it was a complex one and I think you had best make the trek back down to Bkk and see Dr Rosanee (endrocrinologist) there again....just too many possibilities here to say much else.

In terms of diet, goiter can occur from insufficient iodine but that is pretty unlikely unless you have a most unusual diet. No harm in taking an all round supplement that contains it tho.

• 1 month later...

bumping this because I havent had a chance to go to Bumrungrad and on the off-chance someone may have some ideas.

Getting frustrated as the goiter soften slightly after 2 separate doses of steroids, but after both courses were over, it came back again quickly (plus the side effects of the steroids was pretty awful too), so no use there.

An ultrasound scan showed no nodules or anything pertaining to cancer, so that was a huge relief.

My thyroid levels show normal, but antibody test shows up abnormal. But not sure what that really means.

I go back to the doc on the 17th of this month, but im not holding my breath on hearing any further info on this, as she seems to keep fobbing me off. Is it normal to keep telling the patient to wait? Maybe it is, maybe she thinks things will rectify on their own, but im sick of this goiter and the constant pain and pressure. Although not huge, it is unsightly and noticeable, as well as painful/tight.

I know I really should just go to Bangkok, but I was hoping things would improve, and my doctor here was recommended by the doctor in Bumrungrad that i was seeing. Plus the expense of going to Bangkok and Bumrungrads fees caused me to put it off.

Has anyone heard of anything like this? Thyroid levels normal, but reoccurring goiter. I cant seem to find any info on the net. Any thoughts, experiences, or advice would be great.

Thank you.

Be sure to ask the doc to check you for "Hashimoto's Thyroiditis"..

Tnx.

The doc at Bumrungrad suspected this, and seeing as it has been about 18 months or more and with the symptoms I have, the doc im seeing in CM thinks it is Hashimoto.

Apparently Hashimoto doesnt respond to steroids either, so thats probably why the goiter only soften slightly but didnt go away. I have been studying some info on Hashimoto on the net, but still cant find anything relating to the levels being normal but having goiter. Maybe its some kind of separate issue..really clueless!

Already have a thread here about some problems im experiencing, if interested: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thyroid-Goiter-t211661.html

Any members have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis?

Just wondered what problems you have encountered (for me it seems to be a goiter that wont go away, despite thyroid levels being normal).

Do you have any good sources of information on it and how to stay healthy? ( I find the net quite overwhelming at times, trying to find out info on this)

Would appreciate other sufferers feedback.

Thank you. :o

A goiter develops usually as a result of an Iodine deficiency. The levels of T3 and T4 in the body drops and the brain starts ti increase levels of TSH. This causes the gland to enlarge. It is usually surgically resected (not completely removed) and Iodine replacement is usually enough treatment.

In Hashimoto's, the gland enlarges as a result of an auto-immune response to one of the enzymes in the thyroid gland. Eventually, this reaction "burns itself out" and patients end up with a non-functional gland and has to take thyroid hormone replacement therapy. During enlargement of the gland, thyroid hormone levels may remain normal for some time; can be years.

The TSH level in Hashimoto's may be predictive for the progression of the disease. If elevated, with normal hormone levels, it usually means that the disease is progressive and signs for hypo-function should be watched out for. This can also last months. At some point, thyroid hormone levels may also increase; this is due to the inflammatory reaction in the gland and not due to higher TSH levels as with "conventional" hyperthyroidism.

There is no specific treatment for Hashimoto's but steroids may sometimes be given if there is an acute flare-up of the inflammation. This may suppress the auto-immune reaction but will not result in reduction of the size of the gland.

It would be great to hear from people who has gone through this unfortunate condition..

Best!!

Eek,

Goiter does happen in Hashimoto's despite normal thyroid levels as explained by FBN. I am combining these 2 threads as it is really the same problem.

Good luck

Ops, just read that you merged them Sheryl..didnt read properly. However, I would really like to hear from members who have Hashimoto, seperate from this thread, because i think its less confusing and cleaner and doesnt focus on a specific problem. I hoped to have a thread where i could read others experiences, not a thread where my own problem is specifically discussed. My title was inviting other members who have this problem to come and share their story and any tips and suggestions on Hashimoto as a whole.

Any chance you can have a rethink and unmerge the threads?

I had the tumor remove thirty years ago, and no I didn't change at all, I don't even take syntheroid now, but losing weight is a problem.

Generally you perk up more when you get your thyroid or thyroid substitute working again.

So you might be more active or cheerful. But not manic or crazy or a completely different person....

Just took a chance on something the Iast coupIe of days, to see if it wouId reduce the goiter. Wonder if anyone has thoughts on this...

When i first started having goiter probIems a few months ago, i had stopped taking the contraceptive piII (due to migraines whiIst on it). I decided to just test something out, and started taking the same contraceptive piII 4 days ago. AIready im feeIing and seeing a difference in the size of my goiter. Of course im scared about the migraines, but i wanted to test this out. So..what is the connection with thyroid and the piII? How is it that steroids werent heIping, but after onIy 4 days the piII seems to be (aIong with my thyroid piII that i take everyday). Its stiII earIy days, but im wondering whats going on. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Have an appointment with my doctor on Monday, wiII ask her about it aIso.

Thank you.