What Is Your Actual Profession?

I was talking to a woman who is with a man who "owns" a pub here in Lamai (it's actually in her name, of course). She told me that he was actually an electrician in the UK.

This got me to thinking...I was wondering what you folks out there actually do. I don't mean what you do now in Thailand, unless, like me, it is the same you have always done.

So for my answer:

I am a journalist, spending most of my career as a copy editor. I have worked on newspapers, magazines and a national news wire service (CNA in Taiwan). I also do freelance feature stories.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before 1st time in Thailand (1992-1996)

I was working about 15 years as a "Site Manager" on oversea construction sites (Asia/Africa/Middle East) for a Swiss company (Civil Engineering and Architecture).

Before 2nd Time 2005-2009? I was working as an IT-Project Manager for an US IT Company in a big Swiss Bank (no comment :o , but good money) I'm here now, due to the knowledge of big changes (Transformation) ahead of us!

Now (if).....working with my laptop/printer/laminator/internet/website.....everything what go's in the jungle

Machine engineering / robot programming for 12 years. Swore 2,5 years ago i would never go back, but i did a short comeback for 4 months this summer. Terrible! :D

Over here i tend to do pretty much nothing allthough i sometimes involve myself in our small electric company in Bangkok. It´s owned by me, runned by my wife, and the actuall work done by staff, hahaha. I do mostly the "representation". I´m very good at organizing good nights out for the customers. :o . Other than that small exports of things to Sweden and sold in our shop there. However the good weather over here makes me too lazy, i should work more but just can´t do it. The fact that i am now without a workpermit gives me a good reason to stay out of things when my wife ask for help. "Sorry, i´m not aloud", :D .

Fun thread btw!

Edited by mattias33

I was talking to a woman who is with a man who "owns" a pub here in Lamai (it's actually in her name, of course). She told me that he was actually an electrician in the UK.

This got me to thinking...I was wondering what you folks out there actually do. I don't mean what you do now in Thailand, unless, like me, it is the same you have always done.

So for my answer:

I am a journalist, spending most of my career as a copy editor. I have worked on newspapers, magazines and a national news wire service (CNA in Taiwan). I also do freelance feature stories.

nosey nosey

So for my answer:

nosey nosey

Human nature BigC :o

Engineer company i worked for shipped me all over the world training ended up in thailand and quit. Found my heaven

I´m dying to know your country of origin..... :o .

They really sent you on engineer training in Thailand?

Sounds like quite the movie-material. Tell us more about your specialties and your homecountry!

Curious! :D

I have not yet moved to Thailand so my relpy is slightly off! Currently own and run two businesses, a training consultancy (this pays the bills) and a wine tasting and events business (this is just a hobby). When in Thailand, although I won't have to work, I plan to teach Tai Chi and Yoga. I would also like to pursue my hobby business of wine tasting events but have no idea how this might work in Thailand.

I have not yet moved to Thailand so my relpy is slightly off! Currently own and run two businesses, a training consultancy (this pays the bills) and a wine tasting and events business (this is just a hobby). When in Thailand, although I won't have to work, I plan to teach Tai Chi and Yoga. I would also like to pursue my hobby business of wine tasting events but have no idea how this might work in Thailand.

I do, organize, monthly wine tastings in Bangkok.

Feel free to pm me when you are back in Thailand.

So for my answer:

nosey nosey

so you BIG C are one of our upstanding members of the community?....can't say who you are back home :o ...please excuse us. :D