Jellyfish stings

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just heard that a 31yr old Thai woman died on Koh Phangan yesterday after being stung by a box jellyfish. Was apparently on the Thai news.

Edit to change age of victim.

My gf just told me the same thing, Hadrin apparently. Full moon party tonight, hope nobody else gets stung (by jellyfish that is).

Just reading up first aid for jellyfish stings...

Lot of conflicting advice on the net...

• But most say vinegar (5% acetic acid), even Bicarbonate of soda, though there is some research disputing vinegar.
  • Use sea water not bottled or tap water.
  • Do not use urine.
  • Some say compress others say not too, but defiantly do not rub.
  • Stingose quoted as being no better than sea water.

Bit like snake bites treatment depends on spices, so being able to ID the spices may help unless you can collect a substantial amount of the jelly fish, identification can be near impossible.

Also read there have been less than 100 deaths from box jellyfish in Australia and in most cases CPR was not used, my views are this is probably an instance where on the onset of the casualty stops breathing and their heart stops the use of CPR until medical assistance arrives or patent recovers may well save a life.

Best advice: http://sydney.edu.au/medicine/anaesthesia/resources/venom/marine_enven.html

Edited by Basil B

Having read read shocky's post in http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/845146-box-jellyfish-sting-kills-woman-in-koh-pha-ngan/?p=9691569

I note:

I feel very bad for her best friend that went with her on that trip and was with her in the ambulance when she died in her arms. This is a terrible tragedy...

I ask one question do Thai Ambulances not carry ventilators and AED's (automated external defibrillator)?

the point is you do not expect a person who put in an ambulance alive without major trauma to be DOA if the ambulance is carrying an ventilator and AED.

Edited by Basil B

Gulfsialor, that was the correct procedure, but I don't think this involved a box jellyfish. Can you describe where on Chaweng beach this occurred, in front of which hotel? Did you check with the hotel(s) if they had vinegar available?

I'm very interested to find out, since I'm trying to have hotels around the island to put up vinegar posts!

It was next to Monkey bay. Didn't bother to ask Ozo or Monkey Bay for vinegar, but the play area guys and jet ski guys didn't have vinegar. The sailboat/SUP rental place advised to do the creditcard method.

I don't think it was a particular nasty jellyfish, as after 10 minutes she was ok again to go into the water.

Gulfsailor, next time use vinegar if available or use seawater. Fresh water may fire off more charges in the tentacles, especially with box jelly fish.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody

We've come all the way from Israel to enjoy your paradise and it seems that we are at the right place, not only for the places but alsofor the people...

We were warned by the media of the box jellyfish and would like to believe that you have be stupid enough to go swimming in the see at 8p.m. (or to be 5 year old) to be stung by them...

Are there any news besides the tragic accident at the beginning of the month?

Thanks (Kapunkha)