Test Drive Of Pajero Sport And Fortuner

Disting

I took the time to admire a new 3.0 D4D 2WD Fortuner on display at my local Carrefour today...what a nice SUV. The latest model with the projector headlights is nice, with a great interior for truck-based SUV. I currently drive a 2003 Toyota Sportrider 2WD SUV and am thinking about something new.

The display model was black and I asked about white and the lady said it wasn't available in the 2WD trim level but only on the highest spec Navigator model. I read in some of these post, however, that you can special order any colour if you don't mind a wait. That's nice to hear.

Also, I don't want the Navi model as it has the DVD/Sat Nav stuff I don't need and is 4WD and this seems to be overkill for my needs and adds weight and complexity to the vehicle making servicing more expensive.

One feature of the Navi model I like is cruise-control. On Toyotas website, this feature is only listed as standard on the Navi trim model. Is it possible to order this as an option on other trims?

Also, sales must be down as she said if I order now, I would receive delivery in about a month...I remember when people posted about 4-6 month waits for Fortuners.

One pause I would have about buying a Ford Escape is I believe they are made in the Philippines...a country that has never been know for its manufacturing prowess...I would be worried about the fit and finish of the vehicle.

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

• 3 weeks later...
Took the new Mitsubishi Pajero sport and the new model Fortuner for a test drive today. I had high hopes for the Mitsu as it would have been good too have had some serious competition for the Fortuner. The MU7 and Everest are not in the same class, having driven both, the ride is very pickup like.

On first look round the Pajero looks good. I like the way the rear most seats fold into the floor to give an unrestricted load area. Also the centre console top is padded. Seems a small thing but a nice touch to have something soft under ones arm. unfortunately within 5 seconds of starting it I knew I could never own one. The gear shift for the 4wd is on the right side of the console unit and was pressing against my leg. As all these 4wd shifts vibrate, it would drive me mad. Think of a vibrator being pushed against your leg all the time you drive, might suit some people but not yours truly. The ride was not as good as I had hoped and was quite noisy, both suspension wise on hitting bumps and general road and engine noise. They also havnt put the nice extras on, like stereo controls on the steering wheel or parking sensors.

Dropped that back and went straight to Toyota. They had the top of the line 2WD model as a tester. I know from the Vigo that the 4WD shift is on the left side of the console so that problem wasnt there. Seats are more comfortable, quieter ride and handled bumps better. I did the same circuit as the Mitsu and even the missus, whos car knowledge is the colour, said it felt better and was quieter.

The rearmost seats hang when stowed so not quite as much room in the back. Had more extras like the steering wheel controls and cruise control which i like. makes those runs up and down to bangkok much easier. parking sensors as standars and optional corner sensore, a good idea for the missus. Also had a good chat with the showroom people about colours. I have seen some around in colours that are not in the brochure. Was told that you can do a special order for any colour in the range, months wait and have to pay a deposit.

The Navi version is a lot more, 110000 Baht more than the next top model. Seems to be just for a DVD 7 inch screen Satnav player that has a bluetooth phone built in. Think I will give that a miss. Can always put an after market steroe in if I want a screen type unit.

so it looks like I will be getting a Fortuner after all. Hondas styling people must have taken magic mushrooms when they did the new CRV. How they went from the very handsome mark 2 to the eyesore mark 3 I dont know. Chevrolet I think will not hold its value even though it is quite a nice car.

I have to ask - how big are your legs?! In my test drive with the 4WD selector in the normal 2WD (rear WD) there was 4-5 inches gap between the shifter and my left leg.

I test drove Pajero 2.5, 3.2, Everest, Escape, CRV 2.0E, Fortuner, Captiva 2.0D

In summary, the Pajero 3.2 GT is the one I am going for, mainly because

1) Engine has good power & torque (but is noisier than the others)

2) Internal space, and efficient flat folding seats (I transport a lot of stuff)

3) Exterior & interior design. Fortuner is still too much like a large frog jelly mould shape in my opinion, but that is of course subjective to the beholder

comments on the other vehicles:

Everest is like driving a boat. Enormous, very soft at the front, and harsh but bouncy at the rear owing to the leaf spring suspension. Fine engine and gearbox though, and well spec'd if its the Navi edition

CRV 2.0 is terrific inside, exudes quality build, but is frustratingly underpowered out of town, as it has been tuned for fuel economy. The 2.4L is nearly 200,000Bt more and thirsty.

Escape is facelifted, but still based on an old engine and chassis. Despite being 2.3L it also feels underpowered and no doubt wont be great on fuel. You watch those baby's devalue faster than a concrete block hurled into the sea.

If the Fortuner's 3rd row seats folded into the floor it would be a much better design.

Pajero additional comments:

Go for 2.5L if you want to save some cash and are not concerned with horsepower

The 7" touch screen of the GT edition seems somewhat silly. Can play DVDs (I have what's called a 'house' and TV for that), but no GPS? Odd decision, Mitsu. You can however, get additional reversing camera (useful) and TV tuner (if you are addicted to snowy picture terrestrial Thai channel soap operas) upgrades to use that. But, to date, no GPS upgrade.

If you want to sit 3 people inside, and fold one of the 60:40 2nd row seats, it must be the 60, so the 3rd passenger must sit on the smaller 40% seat.

Hi!

Toyota is introducing the Fortuner Diesel manual in India in Feb 2009. I am driving a CRV mark2 and want an oil burner as diesel is 40% cheaper than petrol in india. My main reason for changing is I have 2 small kids and a maid and CRV is a 5 seater wheras Fortuner is 7 seater and the mileage. I have 2 queries:

1. What is the milegage of the fortuner (my CRV gives 6km per litre - petrol)?

2. How is the suspension of the Fortuner? (My CRV rolls a lot on the highway)

3. Is is possible to have roof rack as an after market fitment?

Thanks!

Kapil Kaaiser

My experience re your questions (after two years and ~27,000 km):

1/ 10 km/l doing almost exclusively city driving (A/T)

2/ I like it, it is fairly firm compared to passenger cars but I like that, and it feels rock steady on the highway

3/ Yes, I did

/ Priceless

Priceless, did the roof rack add much wind noise to your driving experience? Is it tolerable or is it a nuisance? Thanks.

My apologies for not seeing your question until now, I don't spend much time on the motor forum.

In my experience the roof rack adds a negligible amount of wind noise. I think that Toyota has done an admirable job on the soundproofing of the Fortuner, which of course influences the wind noise as it does everything else.

/ Priceless

For those asking about different colours. Buri Ram Toyota told me that any car is available in any colour that Toyota offer. It means a months wait and you have to put down a deposit on the car as I guess they dont want to be stuck with a non standard colour car. It may be that some of the sales staff dont know this so just say no when you ask the question. Just ask to speak with the senior salesperson.