Soundcard Buggered?

cdnvic

I'm getting nothing but a morse code like clicking from my speakers, and can't get any other sounds out of the PC (Win2000/AMD). I've re-installed all my audio drivers to no avail. Am I looking at a new sound card?

cv

maybe try with headphones to see if the speakers have blown.

Then try out different types of sound files (WAV, MID, MP3)

If still no joy then I'd get a new soundcard - they are pretty cheap these days. I used to go for the Audigy boards by Creative (though now I'm using the 7.1 sound on the motherboard)

Would second bartender100 and melus's suggestion, assuming you have a seperate sound card.

Turn power off, then remove sound card and carefully clean sound cards edge contacts using an ordinary pencil eraser. After cleaning, wipe card connector edge with soft cloth. Reinsert card and run a test (a test such as available in the "DirectX Diagnostic Test" should provide good information.

good luck

[edit] - melus beat my post. Sorry, I'm a slow typest. :o [/edit]

I got similar problems when I installed an RS Rock motherboard. Finally I found out from their pathetic FAQ that if the mainboard ever sees a Creative soundcard, it reserves IRQ17 or something like that and it will never work properly. Nor will you ever be able to change to the onboard sound if it ever had a sniff of a creative card. The only solution was a full 'repair' installation of W2K without sound card, and putting in new drivers for the onboard.

Also AS Rock claimed that if you use the first pci slot for anything, then it is likely to not work due to"hardware limitations". In other words their mainboard is crap. Krajok rubbish.