Kawasaki Er6n

12DrinkMore

OK dudes,

Here is why I don't like ABS personally, and bear in mind this is very subjective and might sound stupid for many.

When I was young I had an Ascona tuned car, it had no abs, no traction control no nothing. The entire thing was completely up to my skills. I loved to take that car to the gravel roads back in my home land in the summer, gun it and drift as they call it now through the corners. I started to ride bikes legally on the road at 16, summer and winter, and dude if you ever go to my homeland you will recognize the road is ice and snow during winter months, I rode my bike with spike tires. When I got a car I raced ice races again there were no such thing as ABS back then. I loved it. the entire experience was entirely up to my ability to keep the car and bike on the road so slippery you will have a hard time to imagine.

Anyway my car has now traction control, full 4wd which automatically adjust for slippage, ABS, auto everything, and I sit there in my car so bored I hate driving it. On the bikes I have there are no ABS or help, it is entirely up to me. For me it's a blast from the past, suddenly I feel rejuvenated young, it's all up to me, and when something happens it's me not the bike's wrongdoing, there is no electronic brain lulling me in safety, I am on the edge and I love it. It is pure riding pleasure for me, I wish I had a Caterham and got back the joy of driving cars as well...

So fair enough, yes as I stated I fully understand people buying ABS bikes, but I won't, It would ruin my riding pleasure. So there... that is why for me.

Now over to Liams accident, if you apply brakes on a bike you go supposed to go straight ABS or no ABS. If you emergency brake and find it impossible to stop in time, release the brake go for the hole and apply throttle. If you brake it will prevent the bike from turning, and you loose traction and your turning radius becomes wider.

Anyone ever wondered why the rear wheel of a bike is wider than the front? The rear wheel does a wider turn than the front, now visualize two tires one on the outside of the other, push on the one furthest out and what will logically happen? It will push the other wheel more into the curve as that tire turns slower than the one pushing so it makes a tighter turn radius. Also for traction, A bike braking loads up the front tire and lift weight from the rear obviously, simple weight distribution really. What tire has most importance for the turn radius as seen above... the rear so that is not good. Also do a simple test when your on a safe area, do a sweeping turn and brake... what happens?

This is why I love track and safe areas, I try different scenarios, do emergency brakes, tight u-turns, figure 8 as tight as I can, drive over road edges and all sort of stuff, why? Because I learn how the bike reacts, the limits where I start loosing control and where and how the bike gives the best traction and is most controllable.

I did a big mistake when I got my new bike, instead of playing with it on track and safe areas I went on a tour. I had almost no feeling with the bike and surely enough I ended up lowsiding it, which was 100% my fault. If I had played with it until I was fully confident in the bike first it would never have happened. Luckily it was just a bruise and easy fix for the bike, but I remembered then how stupid it was to go straight on a tour without proper knowledge of that bike.

Tony I really respect you and I know you are a very good rider and a good friend, and dude there is nothing wrong for you to go for the ABS, anyway now you know why I don't like it. To be honest the handling of a particular bike is mainly up to the weakest link, which is the rider. If a rider knows his ride and are very confident in it, he will control it in bad conditions as well. ABS does remove the learning curve for the brakes on the bike and make braking very easy, so you will be a safer rider with the brakes with ABS from day one than on a non-ABS ride. However when a rider becomes confident with his bike, he will control it equally well ABS or no ABS. Normally as I know you do as well Tony we look for riding holes in the situation and concentrate about them and not braking but riding it through.

I think we all had that disgusting feeling of slippage when you ride along feeling confident, after you loose confidence on the road surface and start tightening up, it's a basic survival instinct but it makes you have less control than you had when you were a happy confident rider. Ever seen when a GP racer get a wobble, it gets worse and worse and throws him off the bike, after he falls off, the bike straightens up and rides smooth... Why? He was tightened up and tightened grip on the handlebars does that, it makes you loose control. If he let go of the handlebars he would not be thrown off the bike, so think about a rider in that class does these simple mistakes, assure you we do them more often luckily in more controllable speed, and not at the edge like they do.

Most bad accidents happen due to the rider get focused on the situation and brakes, getting focused leads you straight on target on what you are focused/frozen on, and all the brakes in the world still requires stopping distance, most of these accidents could have been avoided if the rider did not get focused, but looked for a hole and gunned through it, turning around the problem and not touched the brakes at all.

Anyway I will stop irritating and winding up people with the ABS stuff. I hope this post explained and killed the issue, I am a wind up as everyone who knows me know, so sorry if I offended anyone, it was not the objective. I respect the decision on getting ABS and I am sure now you respect my decision not having it.

Bard. I m all with you.

I v been riding/driving on ice and snow until I moved to LOS 6 years ago. 4-5 months a year. Started bicycles at 4, motorcycles at 14 and cars at 16. yea it was my mums car :):D I expect every road at any time to be slippery until proven otherwise. Its in my spine.

I still switch off ESP (stabilitycontrol) on my car when I want to go fast and not half asleep. But some car ABS have become so good, I keep it on in LOS. Driving car really fast on snow, ABS has to disconnect too.

Crashed twice on bike, 30 years ago. ABS would not have helped in any case.

Never tryed an ABS bike before, but looks like I will have my Ninja 650R next week. If ABS interferes when I m doing fine on the limit of traction, its gone. I will control my bike myself.

If its advanced as BMW/Bosch last gen, I may keep it. Just disconnect it (hopefully a separate fuse) when fooling around, and connect it when touring.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ABS.....

ABS only comes on when traction is lost. ie. A skid, a wheel lock-up, etc...

The activation of ABS itself is a very rare event. It only comes on when the wheel is locked, cease rotation.

You can be biking for 5 - 10 years and the ABS never comes on. However a car pull out on you. Road is wet. You panic, grab brake. Front end locks and start to slide. In a slide you are neither braking nor steering. The wheel has ceased to rotate. ABS kick in wheel start to rotate again, thus giving control back to you and steer around the car. It worked once and only for a fraction of a second. That is all it take for it to be affective and allow you to get home in one piece.

I have ABS on my bike. Done 15,000kms. It had not been activated yet. Because I have not come across a situation that warrants it. But I am happy to have it, knowing one day it will save my bacon.

• 2 weeks later...

Erm...

So- this nice guy comes to my house in Bangkok to look at the bike. Had a few beers so he didn't want to ride it. Fine, no problem. He says he'll take it we shake hands and he gives me a 25,000 Baht deposit and asks me to ride it down to Phuket for him.

Cool I think- an excuse for a road trip grin.gif

Enjoy a brilliant ride down via the stunning highway 4 through Ranong. Enjoy some surfing in Kamala and Patong night life and the guy still hasn't sobered up enough to take the ER for a spin... :)

Finally we make it to the Kawasaki shop where he wants them to take care of the paperwork and I tell him he ought to ride the bike before we complete the deal. My mistake I guess... He does and comes back all flustered. Something about the bike being to "raw", and 'twitchy' throttle, and too loud... <deleted>?! He already heard the bike in Bangkok and it was in an enclosed space then and really loud. Anyway... long story short, he was kind enough to give me some money for my time and expenses and I still have the ER6 grin.gif

It's still for sale, but I'm no longer in any rush to sell it. 200,000 Baht firm and I'm going to put new Pirellis on it this week.

Anyone who wants it delivered to another province will have to place a non-refundable deposit.

Happy Trials!

Tony

0811ER6Ninja650R.jpg

Having seen the above bike ER6n ABS up close yesterday i really think the picture makes it look better than really is. The green is the notorious kwak lime green which you either love or hate. I suppose at least the black accents break it up a bit otherwise if it was all lime green would be very over powering.

Edited by Rickster

2010 ER6n ABS FIRST LOOK!

I went to my usual 2nd floor short time room at Hotel Kwackerzaki for a lube and a fluff and what should I find when I turn on the lights but this beauty-

2010ER6nGrn.jpg

2010 Kawasaki ER6n ABS!

TASTY! :)

Ha! Just as I decided to finally get the thing, black, they come out with a green ABS one! Awesome!!!! The road to my house is still not done but f... them I am just going to get her a bit muddy. Still better than paying the tea money to accelerate the process.

Can the 2010 ABS be pre-ordered + what's the price?

After my first post on page 7 (January this year) and buying the sliders from Tony many months ago, I can safely say that I will put a deposit down on a green er6n ABS next week.

It's been a long time in the waiting but I feel now is the time to let the good times roll!

Following in everyone else's footsteps and getting excited now.

First things first, I will leave the showroom on whatever day I pick it up, go for a ride and then head straight back for the important oil change.

I went into the showroom on the Sukhumvit yesterday and I was given the OK to get finance but decided it was a little expensive and a lot of hassle.

They wanted 8% interest per yer over 3 years working out at a little over 70k in interest charges. That was with 100k down.

Total came out at 320760 baht.

So I am just going to NIKE (do it!)

They didn't offer anything free as they really are selling like hot cakes, they took me out the back to show me a black one (all sold for the next month), it had the rear suspension coil in red and everything else was well, black. Kwaker green is for me.

I can have a green one at the end of the month.

Insurance I will get from the people on the third road in Pattaya who also insure my car and moped.

Can't wait for THAT time to come so I can commute to my place of work everyday that little bit faster together with a smile on my face.

Thanks for all the posts everyone, I will certainly follow several people's suggestions in keeping my bike in tip top condition.

Once again, let the good times roll.

NormanW :)

After my first post on page 7 (January this year) and buying the sliders from Tony many months ago, I can safely say that I will put a deposit down on a green er6n ABS next week.

It's been a long time in the waiting but I feel now is the time to let the good times roll!

First things first, I will leave the showroom on whatever day I pick it up, go for a ride and then head straight back for the important oil change.

I went into the showroom on the Sukhumvit yesterday and I was given the OK to get finance but decided it was a little expensive and a lot of hassle.

They wanted 8% interest per yer over 3 years working out at a little over 70k in interest charges. That was with 100k down.

They didn't offer anything free as they really are selling like hot cakes, they took me out the back to show me a black one (all sold for the next month), it had the rear suspension coil in red and everything else was well, black. Kwaker green is for me.

Insurance I will get from the people on the third road in Pattaya who also insure my car and moped.

Can't wait for THAT time to come so I can commute to my place of work everyday that little bit faster together with a smile on my face.

Thanks for all the posts everyone, I will certainly follow several people's suggestions in keeping my bike in tip top condition.

Awesome man! I know you've been waiting for this bike for a long time- have fun and keep her shiny side up! Hope we can hook up for a ride some day.

Happy Trails,

Tony

Awesome man! I know you've been waiting for this bike for a long time- have fun and keep her shiny side up! Hope we can hook up for a ride some day.

Happy Trails,

Tony

Yeh cheers Tony, plenty of weekends and a few rounds of golf to sacrifice and school holidays and we'll be there out in the sun taking in the views.

Thanks again.

I thought: Green and ABS, f- it I am going to pre-order it.

Well. Turns out Kawa CM - the best Kawa dealer in the world - has them in stock. Today!!!!!!! YES!!!!!

RESULT!

GO FOR IT.

Keep us up to date.

I'm going for an insurance quote today.

Let the good times roll. :)

Well. Turns out Kawa CM - the best Kawa dealer in the world - has them in stock. Today!!!!!!! YES!!!!!

RESULT!

GO FOR IT.

Keep us up to date.

Let the good times roll. :D

Yah! 245,000, mine is secured with a 5k deposit. Hulk-green, aka Kawasaki Racing green which I much prefer to the lime green Kawa puts on the F. Seeing it in person, I am not sure it really looks better than black. Not worse mind you but the machine in black is dam_n fine too. But I decided a long time ago that if I can get a Kawa racing green bike, I will.

Kawa CM told me they have more in stock, though they didn't tell me how many. Seeing the showroom I guess the situation will ease significantly. Previously, they only had the ER-6n in the showroom in this category. The only 650cc bike at just over 200k baht in Thailand. Now they have: Ninja 650 both in green and black, ER-6F in blue and green(? not sure), ER-6n 2009 in black and orange, and the ER-6n 2010 in 3 colors. There's just way more models to go around, Kawasaki is smartly covering as much ground as possible before anyone else thinks of producing reasonably priced big bikes in Thailand :)

I could have driven this one home today but didn't bring my D-Tracker which I am planning to trade in. Unless somebody here on TV is dying to get a black D-Tracker with the usual additions like pro taper high bars and engine sliders and the cool Japanese signals front and back, derestricted, 5500kms, then I might consider a private sale. I like to think it's probably 10k worth of additions, but I probably paid more. Eh, who's counting? :D I know I get less from the dealer but the main factor is time + hassle.

Edited by nikster

RESULT!

GO FOR IT.

Keep us up to date.

Let the good times roll. :D

Yah! 245,000, mine is secured with a 5k deposit. Hulk-green, aka Kawasaki Racing green which I much prefer to the lime green Kawa puts on the F. Seeing it in person, I am not sure it really looks better than black. Not worse mind you but the machine in black is dam_n fine too. But I decided a long time ago that if I can get a Kawa racing green bike, I will.

Kawa CM told me they have more in stock, though they didn't tell me how many. Seeing the showroom I guess the situation will ease significantly. Previously, they only had the ER-6n in the showroom in this category. The only 650cc bike at just over 200k baht in Thailand. Now they have: Ninja 650 both in green and black, ER-6F in blue and green(? not sure), ER-6n 2009 in black and orange, and the ER-6n 2010 in 3 colors. There's just way more models to go around, Kawasaki is smartly covering as much ground as possible before anyone else thinks of producing reasonably priced big bikes in Thailand :)

I could have driven this one home today but didn't bring my D-Tracker which I am planning to trade in. Unless somebody here on TV is dying to get a black D-Tracker with the usual additions like pro taper high bars and engine sliders and the cool Japanese signals front and back, derestricted, 5500kms, then I might consider a private sale. I like to think it's probably 10k worth of additions, but I probably paid more. Eh, who's counting? :D I know I get less from the dealer but the main factor is time + hassle.

Great stuff nickster.

I also paid my 5000 baht deposit today at Mityon Pattaya on the Sukhumvit road.

The lime/hulk/kwacker green er6n ABS with all other stuff matt black arrives next Wednesday.

I will take their insurance @ 8420 baht as it is better than the quotes I have been given.

I found the all black one a bit too glossy for my taste.

If the pictures I've attached are here, then i'm sorry about the PUKE green colour on them as I used my Nokia.

Let the good times roll.

post-52293-1250597475_thumb.jpg

post-52293-1250597580_thumb.jpg

post-52293-1250597684_thumb.jpg

I have to say thats probably the color I would go for.. Some green wheel tape and it will look hot..

Kawa CM told me they have more in stock, though they didn't tell me how many. Seeing the showroom I guess the situation will ease significantly. Previously, they only had the ER-6n in the showroom in this category. The only 650cc bike at just over 200k baht in Thailand. Now they have: Ninja 650 both in green and black, ER-6F in blue and green(? not sure), ER-6n 2009 in black and orange, and the ER-6n 2010 in 3 colors. There's just way more models to go around

So whats the other 2010 N color.. black.. green.. and ?? They are not keeping the candy orange are they ??

Also I dont uinderstand what you mean with saying how theres the ER6F versions AND Ninja versions.. Theres the 2010 Ninja branded machine in blue green and black.

If the pictures I've attached are here, then i'm sorry about the PUKE green colour on them as I used my Nokia.

Let the good times roll.

Don't blame your Nokia....... It IS a puke green colour..... :) But each to their own eh !!!

Edited by Rickster

I have to say thats probably the color I would go for.. Some green wheel tape and it will look hot..
Kawa CM told me they have more in stock, though they didn't tell me how many. Seeing the showroom I guess the situation will ease significantly. Previously, they only had the ER-6n in the showroom in this category. The only 650cc bike at just over 200k baht in Thailand. Now they have: Ninja 650 both in green and black, ER-6F in blue and green(? not sure), ER-6n 2009 in black and orange, and the ER-6n 2010 in 3 colors. There's just way more models to go around

So whats the other 2010 N color.. black.. green.. and ?? They are not keeping the candy orange are they ??

Also I dont uinderstand what you mean with saying how theres the ER6F versions AND Ninja versions.. Theres the 2010 Ninja branded machine in blue green and black.

Sorry but i find it hard to believe that a reputable dealer would display 2010 models before shifting 2009 models, just doesn't make sense unless you chuck em out cheap which errrrr they already are !!!

LiL..... 2010 ER6n ABS only comes in puke green/black and black. The candy burnt orange has been discontinued so whats out there is all there will be. The ER6f that he mentioned is probably old stock, that said i wasn't aware that the ER6f ever came to Thailand???

Edited by Rickster

Sorry but i find it hard to believe that a reputable dealer would display 2010 models before shifting 2009 models, just doesn't make sense unless you chuck em out cheap which errrrr they already are !!!

LiL..... 2010 ER6n ABS only comes in puke green/black and black. The candy burnt orange has been discontinued so whats out there is all there will be. The ER6f that he mentioned is probably old stock, that said i wasn't aware that the ER6f ever came to Thailand???

Maybe it is because some people wanted the ABS on the N and it was only available on 2010 versions? I don't know, but I thought there is always a transition period between years at dealerships, both cars and bikes. Maybe we are in it. From what everyone has conveyed here, the dealers didn't seem to have any idea they were getting 2010 bikes at all. Weird.

From what everyone has conveyed here, the dealers didn't seem to have any idea they were getting 2010 bikes at all. Weird.

I wonder if this is a Thai mentality issue? No curiosity, no genuine interest in the product, the technology and its development.

With less than 10 dealerships in Thailand, if I was the product marketing manager, I would be in every dealership once every month, collecting information and discussing where Kawasaki Thailand Big Bike wants to go. And I would have the website translated into English. They haven't bothered to put up the Ninja 650 yet.

I suppose in addition to the Thai mentality, there is also the huge change in the target market to deal with. Up until now the motorcycle manufacturers have been pushing out "small bikes for the masses", and "the masses" are not too bothered about in depth information.

They are simply not used to customers asking questions and possibly, in fact probably, knowing far more about the bikes than the dealership owners.

From what everyone has conveyed here, the dealers didn't seem to have any idea they were getting 2010 bikes at all. Weird.

I guess they just got the ABS version ready in August 2009..what to do... make it the 2010 model! Mid-2010 they can then come out with the 2011 model... all just numbers really.

I am sorry if I got the ER-6F confused with the Ninja 650 - I guess it's one and the same bike then?!

I wonder if this is a Thai mentality issue? No curiosity, no genuine interest in the product, the technology and its development.

With less than 10 dealerships in Thailand, if I was the product marketing manager, I would be in every dealership once every month, collecting information and discussing where Kawasaki Thailand Big Bike wants to go. And I would have the website translated into English. They haven't bothered to put up the Ninja 650 yet.

I suppose in addition to the Thai mentality, there is also the huge change in the target market to deal with. Up until now the motorcycle manufacturers have been pushing out "small bikes for the masses", and "the masses" are not too bothered about in depth information.

They are simply not used to customers asking questions and possibly, in fact probably, knowing far more about the bikes than the dealership owners.

Well put.

Is there any price change in the 2010 model of the ER6N???

Would I 186cm... above 100Kg be happy on a bike like that??? I like speed, I used to ride a CB750 naked bike before, not a problem, but a bit slow...

I am still wanting one, where can I go for a test drive, I live in Nakhonsrithammarat??? They do look a bit small for me!

Would I 186cm... above 100Kg be happy on a bike like that??? I like speed, I used to ride a CB750 naked bike before, not a problem, but a bit slow...

Your about like me.. 105 - 110 kg and 6'3".. I could ride a ER6 (whereas I couldnt really feel comfy on the Ninja 250) but at the upper end.. I mean I can ride a ksr but I can actually feel comfortable on the er6 it just feels a little 'light' and slightly thin (but thats very much a personal persdpective) so am happy I found something a bit bigger, if I hadnt I would own one.

Surely Surat has a Kwaker ?? If not a trip to Phuket or Samui ??

Your about like me.. 105 - 110 kg and 6'3".. I could ride a ER6 (whereas I couldnt really feel comfy on the Ninja 250) but at the upper end.. I mean I can ride a ksr but I can actually feel comfortable on the er6 it just feels a little 'light' and slightly thin (but thats very much a personal persdpective) so am happy I found something a bit bigger, if I hadnt I would own one.

Thanks, I am going to Surat Next week then and I will try to find one shop there where I can take a closer look at it! Hopefully I will be able to go for a test ride too...

Thanks, I am going to Surat Next week then and I will try to find one shop there where I can take a closer look at it! Hopefully I will be able to go for a test ride too...

I am 180 and 100+ kg and I m comfy on the Ninja 650, but no trip more than an hour yet. Its very light, but I find that an advantage around Phuket. I will probably look to lower the pegs an inch to increase knee angle.

Kata if you think its light you must bench press a hel_l of a weight. The Ninja 650 ABS is 208KG. My ER6n is 200 KG which is heavy if you are parked on an incline. I tend to reverse the bike into a spot so i don't look too foolish when I leave :)

Kata if you think its light you must bench press a hel_l of a weight. The Ninja 650 ABS is 208KG. My ER6n is 200 KG which is heavy if you are parked on an incline. I tend to reverse the bike into a spot so i don't look too foolish when I leave :D

My VTX 1800 v-twin was 380 kg with fuel. Main reason to sell it. Needed more space to park than my Yaris :D

I always reverse bike when park, in case I m drunk when I want to leave :):D

FWIW I definitely found the ER-6n a bit small to sit on and I am 180cm... it's no BMW, that's for sure. But the Yamahas seem equally small - I don't know maybe they make them lower in Asia?

The low center of gravity will make it easier to drive but at 186, definitely test drive the thing first.

Two Brothers

twobros.jpg

sorry guys if this has already been said, I did look throught the forum and could not find a result.

Where can you get a two brothers exhaust for the ER6n In Thailand? and how much are they???

cheers for the replys....

Edited by wildpikey