Kawasaki Er6n

12DrinkMore

Been looking into tyre choice in replacing the Roadsmarts, which have never totally convinced me.

Kwackers offered

Dunlop Roadsmarts @ 4,400/5,800

Bridgestone Battleaxes @ 4,500/5,950 (But not available yet... or maybe they are trying to sell off the old lot of Roadsmarts first)

The local guy offered Pirelli Diablos @ >10,000 Baht for the pair (have to go back for a firm quotation)

Any other choices?

I'll probably go for the Bridgestones, once Kawasaki get the supply side working.

How many kms have you done?

Just over 10,000; not quite down to the markers, but the rear is noticeably squared off.

Edited by 12DrinkMore

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

FWIW, I did not like the Dunlop Roadsmarts at all. Strange as they've received glowing reviews, but I found them very slippery and was glad to be rid of them... I'm quite impressed with the Bridgestone Battlax BT021s on my Ninja 650R.

2010Ninja650R7.jpg

Changed the ER6n to Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa Pros and they ROCK! Incredibly sticky confidence inspiring tires. Only drawback is that they only last about 7-8 thousand km and they're a little bit more expensive than the other brands. Still- I think only a fool would buy tires by price alone...

PirelliChart.gif

Set of Pirellis for the ER6n and Ninja 650R will set you back about 10,000 Baht. Worth every satang! :)

I've done 300kms now and obviously loving every km.

This morning I went to Sattahip, Laem Chanbang and back to Pattaya.

I got the oil and filter changed @ 109kms @ a cost of 760 baht after 3 days of ownership.

I bought some of that blue spray wax for the chain and gave it a liberal dose.

I 've a slight backfire now and again when I shut the throttle off, is that normal?

I also think the chain is noisy or maybe it is just me getting to know the sounds of the bike.

Yes the seat could be better.

Yes I could do with a gear indicator.

and yes it does run hot.

All polished and rain-X ed up and ready for the next run.

Living the dream.

NormanW

FWIW, I did not like the Dunlop Roadsmarts at all. Strange as they've received glowing reviews, but I found them very slippery and was glad to be rid of them... I'm quite impressed with the Bridgestone Battlax BT021s on my Ninja 650R.

2010Ninja650R7.jpg

Changed the ER6n to Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa Pros and they ROCK! Incredibly sticky confidence inspiring tires. Only drawback is that they only last about 7-8 thousand km and they're a little bit more expensive than the other brands. Still- I think only a fool would buy tires by price alone...

PirelliChart.gif

Set of Pirellis for the ER6n and Ninja 650R will set you back about 10,000 Baht. Worth every satang! :D

Great timing for that post!

Just did my first ride over the mountain on the green 2010 ABS Er-6n. The bike rides and handles like a dream. But I was reminded of your forum post when my rear wheel slipped twice AND the ABS came on about 5 times in the mountains. The rear wheel has zero braking power compared to my D-Tracker.

I always do emergency braking tests so I know how quickly I can stop. D-Tracker stopped faster than ER-6n, but I have a feeling it's because the rear wheel tends to slip very easily, which then engages the ABS, and then it takes, feeling-wise, way too long to stop. I wasn't going that fast either, road was wet from rain and still getting used to the bike.

Anyway, I love the engine and gearing and handling. This bike feels natural after a very short time, it's so easy to be in the perfect gear / RPM in turns, much easier than on the D-Tracker. There's no straining the engine, always plenty of power left. Acceleration is a dream even at high speeds.

So my to do list for now is:

- Get proper tires - I'll give the Pirellis a try, thanks so much for the tip.

- Windscreen. 140kph almost blew me off the bike which is a shame since it's obvious the bike can go much faster. But not the human, not without a windscreen. The mostly transparent one looks acceptable. 6000 BHT.

- Get 1000kms on the clock quickly. Yeah it's a tough job but somebody's got to do it :):D :D

- Bike jacket. My rain jacket turns into a sort of parachute at 120kph. Time for the real thing.

One more thing: The ER-6n ABS is now up on the Kawa big bike page. Strangely, though, the gallery shows black and lime green ones. Mine's kawa racing green which has already grown on me, looks absolutely fantastic.

Edited by nikster

I got the oil and filter changed @ 109kms @ a cost of 760 baht after 3 days of ownership.

I 've a slight backfire now and again when I shut the throttle off, is that normal?

I also think the chain is noisy or maybe it is just me getting to know the sounds of the bike.

and yes it does run hot.

Engine feels less hot now, maybe just getting used to it, or maybe it's broken in. Either way it doesn't seem to be an issue.

I got the backfire too, a handful of times so far. It kind of stands out because the engine performance is perfect apart from that. D-Tracker did the same thing though.

Didn't hear the chain.

Gear indicator is for sissies :)

Found the seat OK but after the torture that was the D-Tracker seat anything would be an improvement. The process of taking off the seat is pretty strange though - seems awfully complicated. But the helmet locks are an indication that the seat is meant to be taken off every time you stop and want to lock the helmet?! I don't have the english manual yet, maybe that provides some clarification.

And... most importantly, loving every KM too :D

Edited by nikster

Engine feels less hot now, maybe just getting used to it, or maybe it's broken in. Either way it doesn't seem to be an issue.

I got the backfire too, a handful of times so far. It kind of stands out because the engine performance is perfect apart from that. D-Tracker did the same thing though.

I get that too, I believe it is due to the emission control feeding some air into the exhaust stream.

Maybe try one of those nice bright orange plugs used by Tony might help if you find it a nuisance.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Kawasaki-Er6...75#entry2904975

Found the seat OK but after the torture that was the D-Tracker seat anything would be an improvement. The process of taking off the seat is pretty strange though - seems awfully complicated. But the helmet locks are an indication that the seat is meant to be taken off every time you stop and want to lock the helmet?! I don't have the english manual yet, maybe that provides some clarification.

It's a pain. I find that turning the key, taking a firm grip on the rear of the seat and a series of hefty yanks backwards and upwards gets if off.... Surely there must be a more elegant way?

and yes it does run hot.

Didn't hear the chain.

Gear indicator is for sissies :)

And... most importantly, loving every KM too :D

Yes I'm a sissy I'm afraid.

My wish list at the moment is:

1. Boots

2. Jacket

3. Gloves

4. Trousers not jeans

5. Slime green wheel rim paint

6. Putrid green chain

7. For it to stop raining every time I plan a ride.

Let the good times roll.

Congrats on the new ER6n NormanW! :D

Sounds like you're having fun getting to know your new baby :)

Sometimes it feels like you spend almost as much on riding gear as you do on your bike, but please, do make sure you get kitted out soon!

There's an old biker saying that goes like this: "There's bikers who've been down, and there's bikers that are going down".

Point is- we all crash sooner or later! Save yourself a lot of pain and get some good gear BEFORE you kiss pavement!

If you're on a budget I recommend DR Bike and 118 Bike for locally made but still good quality riding boots, jackets and gloves. No doubt there are some good shops down your way as well. I noticed however that everything in the Kawasaki Mityon Pattaya shop was grossly overpriced...

When are we going to hook up for a ride?

Happy Trails!

Tony

Cheers Norman- big singles and twins do tend to backfire more than inline 4's. The massive stock can on the ER6n muffles most of the backfiring- throw an open can like the TWO BROS on and it sounds like gunfire! :D It's not an indication of anything wrong, but you can reduce backfiring by plugging the PAIR valve-

0728PAIRValve1.jpg

Thanks to 12DrinkMore for posting the link on how to do it. It's really easy to do and will noticeably reduce backfiring. If you're ever in Bangkok swing by my place and I can do it for you in 15 minutes. I charge 1 beer/minute :)

Happy Trails!

Tony

When I first installed the TwoBros the backfiring was really bothering me, but after a couple thousand kilometers I've actually started to like it! I've figured out how to make it backfire on demand and love scaring the $hit out of soi dogs.

Congrats on the new ER6n NormanW! :D

Sounds like you're having fun getting to know your new baby :)

Sometimes it feels like you spend almost as much on riding gear as you do on your bike, but please, do make sure you get kitted out soon!

There's an old biker saying that goes like this: "There's bikers who've been down, and there's bikers that are going down".

Point is- we all crash sooner or later! Save yourself a lot of pain and get some good gear BEFORE you kiss pavement!

If you're on a budget I recommend DR Bike and 118 Bike for locally made but still good quality riding boots, jackets and gloves. No doubt there are some good shops down your way as well. I noticed however that everything in the Kawasaki Mityon Pattaya shop was grossly overpriced...

When are we going to hook up for a ride?

Happy Trails!

Tony

Cheers Tony,

I will let you know as I want to get kitted up (Will take me a while to save up again) and get some more kms on the clock then I'm up for anything.

Can't wait man.

Yeh, the backfire I don't actually mind so no big deal, in my head was a sooty spark plug or something.

I will look around although there was a nice Alpine Star jacket in Mitiyon for 4250 before discount, apparently they give you discount (probably won't be much) if you've bought a bike from them. Ought to as well!

The trousers were 10k, boots 8k and gloves 1750.

Looks like I'm going to have to dose the chain in that blue wax stuff to try and get rid of that mechanical whirl sound. I know I ought to get it out of my head that I'm not riding on fresh air hehe.

Let the good times roll.

Looks like I'm going to have to dose the chain in that blue wax stuff to try and get rid of that mechanical whirl sound. I know I ought to get it out of my head that I'm not riding on fresh air hehe.

Whilst you are oiling the chain make sure that it is not too tight, mine was like a piano wire, and that the rear wheel is aligned according to the marks, mine was a whole mark off.

When I first installed the TwoBros the backfiring was really bothering me, but after a couple thousand kilometers I've actually started to like it! I've figured out how to make it backfire on demand and love scaring the $hit out of soi dogs.

LOL! hel_l yeah- the Two Bros is a very effective way of clearing away the dogs and waking up spaced out drivers too! I ran over a dog on my Ninja 250R and I'm sure it was because the poor pooch didn't hear me coming. Got bumped by a Somchai who turned into me- never would have happened if I'd had a loud exhaust. My new Ninja 650R is whisper quiet and no one hears me. A bit creepy. I really notice a difference when I jump on the ER6n with the TWO BROS- splitting Bangkok traffic cars and bikes are generally quite good about getting out of my way :)

Ride On!

Tony

Whilst you are oiling the chain make sure that it is not too tight, mine was like a piano wire, and that the rear wheel is aligned according to the marks, mine was a whole mark off.

Yikes! I've noticed Kawa tend to overtighten chains, but that's the first time I've heard of the wheel alignment being off- where did you get yours serviced? A mistake like that would merit a talk with the manager I think!

LOL! hel_l yeah- the Two Bros is a very effective way of clearing away the dogs and waking up spaced out drivers too! I ran over a dog on my Ninja 250R and I'm sure it was because the poor pooch didn't hear me coming. Got bumped by a Somchai who turned into me- never would have happened if I'd had a loud exhaust. My new Ninja 650R is whisper quiet and no one hears me. A bit creepy. I really notice a difference when I jump on the ER6n with the TWO BROS- splitting Bangkok traffic cars and bikes are generally quite good about getting out of my way :)

Ride On!

Tony

Yep! I never liked loud exhausts before, but I'm a convert now. The day after I put it one it was like driving in a different country. Attentive drivers, people yielding the right of way to you at intersections, etc etc etc. Amazing difference.

Yikes! I've noticed Kawa tend to overtighten chains, but that's the first time I've heard of the wheel alignment being off- where did you get yours serviced? A mistake like that would merit a talk with the manager I think!

That was the new bike. I could PM you the location, but I reckon that until Kawasaki have the "big bike" mentality it is up to us, the riders, to take responsibility. The manager/owner(?) of this particular garage does not ride a big bike and nor do any of the mechanics as far as I could see. They probably could not afford one, the price of a 650 is quite possibly well over two years' gross salary.

I dread the day that the bike needs a major operation. Based on past experience with a Honda Phantom that day will signal the day to scrap the old Kwacker and buy a new bike.......

Ride On!

Tony

Yep! I never liked loud exhausts before, but I'm a convert now. The day after I put it one it was like driving in a different country. Attentive drivers, people yielding the right of way to you at intersections, etc etc etc. Amazing difference.

Arrrrhhhhhhh!

Looks like I will have to start saving for something else now!

Yer can't win!

Now how can I make more money????????

Does anybody know of a dealer who still has a 2009 ER-6n with the metallic orange color in stock? The dealer in Pattaya has two of them on the showroom floor, but they were recently sold. I wouldn't mind getting the newer ABS model, but the black and green colors are ugly!!

post-14651-1252229683_thumb.jpg

-Jeff

Does anybody know of a dealer who still has a 2009 ER-6n with the metallic orange color in stock? The dealer in Pattaya has two of them on the showroom floor, but they were recently sold. I wouldn't mind getting the newer ABS model, but the black and green colors are ugly!!

-Jeff

There's one standing around in Chiang Mai. I am pretty sure it's for sale. Their number is 053 201-509, they speak english, at least some of them do. And, I may add, this dealer is just absolutely fantastic.

Rare color now that it's been discontinued! :)

>There's one standing around in Chiang Mai. I am pretty sure it's for sale.

I've been living in Bangkok for many years and have purchased three registered motorcycles here (BMW, Yamaha, and Honda). However, they were all purchased from Bangkok dealers. If I purchase a motorcycle from a dealer outside of BKK, are there any hassles with registering the bike at my address in BKK? Can the dealer do this for me or will I have to take care of this myself? When I visited the Kawasaki dealer in Pattaya the other day, I asked the salesperson about this. He claims that they could only register the bike with Chonburi plates. Is this true?

Can I go to a dealer outside of BKK, give them cash for a bike, load the bike into my pickup truck, drive back to BKK, and then register it here?

What about buying a registered second-hand bike from a non-dealer outside of BKK?

-Jeff

Edited by JGA

I've been living in Bangkok for many years and have purchased three registered motorcycles here (BMW, Yamaha, and Honda). However, they were all purchased from Bangkok dealers. If I purchase a motorcycle from a dealer outside of BKK, are there any hassles with registering the bike at my address in BKK? Can the dealer do this for me or will I have to take care of this myself? When I visited the Kawasaki dealer in Pattaya the other day, I asked the salesperson about this. He claims that they could only register the bike with Chonburi plates. Is this true?

Can I go to a dealer outside of BKK, give them cash for a bike, load the bike into my pickup truck, drive back to BKK, and then register it here?

What about buying a registered second-hand bike from a non-dealer outside of BKK?

-Jeff

I have been told the same, but dont know if it`s true, if your new bike comes from say korat it can only be registered in korat, even if you take it on an round trip via changmai to bangkok .....it can only be registered where it was originaly planted (for want of a better word), wether paying cash, credit or what....still no can do..according to kawaski korat, because i asked the very same thing...regards

-Jeff

I have been told the same, but dont know if it`s true, if your new bike comes from say korat it can only be registered in korat, even if you take it on an round trip via changmai to bangkok .....it can only be registered where it was originaly planted (for want of a better word), wether paying cash, credit or what....still no can do..according to kawaski korat, because i asked the very same thing...regards

If its a brand new Kwaker, the dealer can EMS the docs to you when completed, and you go to your local DMV yourself. Then you dont pay the 1900 baht reg fee/tax to dealer. No need to bring bike. Expect 1-2 hours, and perhaps 1000 baht tea money to pick a special numberplate. I v done it several times with new cars, and will have to do it again soon cause no Vigo 4x4 G auto 4 door quickly available in Phuket so I ll get it in Petchburi.

-Jeff

If its a brand new Kwaker, the dealer can EMS the docs to you when completed, and you go to your local DMV yourself. Then you dont pay the 1900 baht reg fee/tax to dealer. No need to bring bike. Expect 1-2 hours, and perhaps 1000 baht tea money to pick a special numberplate. I v done it several times with new cars, and will have to do it again soon cause no Vigo 4x4 G auto 4 door quickly available in Phuket so I ll get it in Petchburi.

Solution no 2 for thai made new bikes

Have the dealer register locally. When you recieve book and plate, bring bike to your local DMV. Bike is inspected, new local plate is issued, reg number on front page of book is changed, and adress on ownerpage is changed. A few hundred baht fee.

The same goes for secondhand thai made bikes purchased out of province.

Secondhand bigbikes non thai made. Nightmare, if doable.

-Jeff

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/automotive...km-s-30439.html

Its mint.. Drop Rickster a PM..

1300 kms is just run in..

Not true.. I have moved both bikes and cars between provinces..

Took a couple of weeks, you get a new plate for your region.. Not any more difficult than a name change but it took a few days more.

Not true.. I have moved both bikes and cars between provinces..

Took a couple of weeks, you get a new plate for your region.. Not any more difficult than a name change but it took a few days more.

i agree with what you say , but i was reffering to a brand new bike, and only quoting what i was told..

Ahh you mean moving an unregged bike ??

I would guess it may be that the dealer has been paid to do the rego, and a new dealer wont do the registration work, if its not been paid for ???

Logically a first reg should happen anywhere ??? But logic in Thailand is a dangerous assumption.

Ahh you mean moving an unregged bike ??

I would guess it may be that the dealer has been paid to do the rego, and a new dealer wont do the registration work, if its not been paid for ???

Logically a first reg should happen anywhere ??? But logic in Thailand is a dangerous assumption.

hahaha aint that the truth.

I was told by the Pattaya dealer that I could register it in Rayong and they would do it for me.

I'm still waiting for my plates. It's only been a week so far.

Just did the 1st service today. 800kms on the clock and everything OK.

Next service 6000Kms but will take it in at 1500kms and get the semi synthetic oil in and away I go.

The oil in my bike will never be black.

Anyone want my oil??????? hehehe.

Let the good times roll.

some pics of the 1st service.

bike connected to computer and it checked everything, injectors, rpm etc etc.

note the photocopied bike documents in the plastic bag under the seat for those daily police stops.

Par for the course in Pattaya.

the mechanic at Pattaya knows his stuff!

post-52293-1252340912_thumb.jpg

post-52293-1252341059_thumb.jpg

post-52293-1252341178_thumb.jpg

post-52293-1252341338_thumb.jpg

post-52293-1252341490_thumb.jpg

post-52293-1252341550_thumb.jpg

Edited by NormanW