Directions

iainiain101

A couple of weeks ago there was a thread about how difficult or not people found folowing directions in and around CM (where is North etc.).

Tonight I happened to be in Rimping near the Airport Plaza, and saw the most unitelligible directions, in English I have seen to date.

There were a number of laminate signs for a 'Fish and Chips' restaurant (not sure how new they were), directions, ""near Rimping left 3 blocks!!!""

As far as I am aware, there are 4 Rimpings in or around CM, but assuming it was the NIM airport one, there are 3 different exits going in totally different directions! So no idea where this place is, let alone what a 'block' would be here!

Iain

A couple of weeks ago there was a thread about how difficult or not people found folowing directions in and around CM (where is North etc.).

Tonight I happened to be in Rimping near the Airport Plaza, and saw the most unitelligible directions, in English I have seen to date.

There were a number of laminate signs for a 'Fish and Chips' restaurant (not sure how new they were), directions, ""near Rimping left 3 blocks!!!""

As far as I am aware, there are 4 Rimpings in or around CM, but assuming it was the NIM airport one, there are 3 different exits going in totally different directions! So no idea where this place is, let alone what a 'block' would be here!

Iain

Let me leap to your aid immediately.

Firstly, we need to understand that all Americans, some Thais and (apparently) some Irish are totally and utterly incapable of giving or taking directions. This is 66% true. The Irish are actually brilliant, but use language rather differently from the rest of us.

"You can't get to there from here" (and I've heard this personally, in the lovely Co. Donegal) means "you have to go via another place in the middle, turn left and THEN you'll get there." It's a form of friendly short-hand speech!

Secondly, the Thai directions you quote got only ONE word wrong. The absolutely bloody excellent new little fish n' chip shop at NIM (Rimping-near-the-airport) is only 3 DOORS (or shop fronts) to the left of the main supermarket entrance there!

Please have patience and tolerance.....and DO try those fantastic fish n chips. Only 59b a portion and out of this world!!

59baht!!???

now im interested!

rimping near the airport? hmm.. is that the one near the river, or the one near the 'adventure hotel'?

nope, forget it, i think im talking about the same rimping.

i will never find it.

Thanks Flatout!

I have similar difficulties with a good Canadian friend who use N/W/S/E as a reference for directions in Chiang Mai. Perhaps I am a little simple but somehow I cannot get my brain around that.

As for the Rimpings near Airport Plaza. Start at Chiang Mai Gate, with the Klong to the right of you. Follow the klong all the way down and turn left at the end heading for the airport. When you come to the fly-over... keep left, as if still heading for the airport, and the turning for Rimpings and the small shopping mall is on your left. The actual Rimping's sign on the main road is a somewhat difficult to spot.

Ah, those gosh darn Amerikkaanz....actually, lots of USA-ans do not know their compass or give compass directions, and we have different size blocks, too. I know where that Rimping is, and Gladiator just gave great directions once he was headed toward Doi Suthep mountain on the outside of the moat.

Here is a link to the earlier thread, in which those gosh darn Amerikkaanz were widely criticized for being well educated in their compasses....

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Finding-Chia...bs-t224365.html

Iain

Firstly, we need to understand that all Americans, some Thais and (apparently) some Irish are totally and utterly incapable of giving or taking directions. This is 66% true. The Irish are actually brilliant, but use language rather differently from the rest of us.

"You can't get to there from here" (and I've heard this personally, in the lovely Co. Donegal) means "you have to go via another place in the middle, turn left and THEN you'll get there." It's a form of friendly short-hand speech!

Secondly, the Thai directions you quote got only ONE word wrong. The absolutely bloody excellent new little fish n' chip shop at NIM (Rimping-near-the-airport) is only 3 DOORS (or shop fronts) to the left of the main supermarket entrance there!

Please have patience and tolerance.....and DO try those fantastic fish n chips. Only 59b a portion and out of this world!!

I will match my american map reading,direction giving/receiving with anyone of any nationality. I have been reading maps, airplane charts,finding my way with compasses,moss on the north side of trees,etc. since childhood.Father was a fire control officer on the Leavenworth district of the Wenatchee National forest. All the fire lookouts called in the coordinates of fires spotted to the radio base station in our house.I triangulated the coordinates of literally hundreds of forest fires and passed the info on to the proper help.The statement you gave about all americans was about the most ridiculous claim I've heard all day but it is early.Pretentious idiot!

I'm sorry, but those directions make perfect sense to me! The sign was at the Nim City Rimping, which is where the sign was, and the new fish and chip shop (which smelt amazing when I walked passed the other day) is infact 3 blocks (stores) left of Rimping.

Merry Christmas!!

I'm sorry, but those directions make perfect sense to me! The sign was at the Nim City Rimping, which is where the sign was, and the new fish and chip shop (which smelt amazing when I walked passed the other day) is infact 3 blocks (stores) left of Rimping.

Merry Christmas!!

Well I drove there and entered from the opposite end to the 'fly over' (East entrance), so in fact never passed said restaurant and hence the confussion!

I will match my american map reading,direction giving/receiving with anyone of any nationality. I have been reading maps, airplane charts,finding my way with compasses,moss on the north side of trees,etc. since childhood.

But none of the above will help the lost pedestrian looking for a few simple directions. Would it?

Aitch

Iain

I will match my american map reading,direction giving/receiving with anyone of any nationality. I have been reading maps, airplane charts,finding my way with compasses,moss on the north side of trees,etc. since childhood.Father was a fire control officer on the Leavenworth district of the Wenatchee National forest. All the fire lookouts called in the coordinates of fires spotted to the radio base station in our house.I triangulated the coordinates of literally hundreds of forest fires and passed the info on to the proper help.The statement you gave about all americans was about the most ridiculous claim I've heard all day but it is early.Pretentious idiot!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxFz4LQUR1w&NR=1 springs to mind!

One of favorite TVisa posters is in town; he's not from CMai, not native speaker of English. I gave him directions to Prida motorcycle shop on Chiang Moi Road, but forgot to mention the name. He called to ask what a moat is. I must have thought that every Thai and farang who enters the changwat is issued a ten-language index of terms like moat, som tam, klong, and Mikes Hamburgers.