Fish And Chips, Where Is The Good Stuff?

Jingthing

The Jolly Friar is OK, but not great. I am not overly impressed by the texture of the fried batter for the fish or the quality of the chips (not the right potatoes). Goose's is much better on both counts.

I did enjoy the grilled salmon at the Jolly Friar though and it really is not bad for F&C in Thailand..

Edited by Ulysses G.

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think The Village Chippy will soon price itself out of business. Everything goes up by 20/30 baht every few weeks.

Well, not quite everything. The medium fish & chips is still B95 and as good as any I have had elsewhere.

I think The Village Chippy will soon price itself out of business. Everything goes up by 20/30 baht every few weeks.

Well, not quite everything. The medium fish & chips is still B95 and as good as any I have had elsewhere.

The medium fish and chips is now B120.!

The medium fish and chips is now B120.!

Thanks for the price update. Actually I was there a few weeks ago when it was still B 95.

^

Thanks for the wise comment.

But not accurate I think, they look Belgian to me, aren't there quite a few Belgian (or Dutch) bars around doing fries like this?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Not a problem to find Belgian chips in Pattaya, but fish & Belgian chips seems not so evident.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not British but I started to like Fish and Chips a lot since I moved to Pattaya. I even like mushy peas.

So where are the best spots you have found?

Here are some comments I have, but I would love more suggestions:

Pig and Whistle, I like it alot but it is 50/50 sometimes good, sometimes not, by good I mean the fish and chips cooked nicely, more fish than batter, not too greasy, the tartar sauce is always lovely. I would settle for the Pig but am annoyed about how unpredictable they are.

Seaside -- cheap and you know why, good value but I can't get excited enough to go there anymore

Bert's Tropical, fish was nice when I went there, but no tartar sauce, a fault I can't live with

Simon's -- expensive, it was pretty good, but the owner has banned me (if you want the gory details, do a search, ha ha)

Have one place with amazing portions and perfect taste "Sea Side" restaurant on soi 7 second road closer to beach road. Very poor decoration inside but very good taste and 100% competitive prices. Chef cook spend long time in England but he is Thai and it's their family bussines.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, there's a new chippie on the block! Thappraya Road specifically, on the east side on the Pattaya-Jomtien road and famous Russian baht bus route.

It's called Sea Fresh Restaurant and Grill.

They have a website but very limited, not even their address is on it. But they do deliver.

Any reports on their fish & chips yet?

(The thread that never dies, and why should it, as long as there are men, fish, potatoes, and boiling vats of grease?)

Edited by Jingthing

• 1 month later...

The mushy peas thicken.

I tried the Dory at the Jolly Friar and it wasn't so good, greasy and the crust was too soggy. Maybe back to Gooses?

Last trip i made it into the jolly friar only once on my last evening in pattaya.

I had a small dory (which looked big enough to me) 60 bht, medium chips (50 bht) and a chang (50 bht)

looked excellent when it turned up and tasted just as good.

still gets my vote

Last trip i made it into the jolly friar only once on my last evening in pattaya.

I had a small dory (which looked big enough to me) 60 bht, medium chips (50 bht) and a chang (50 bht)

looked excellent when it turned up and tasted just as good.

still gets my vote

I forgot to mention that it comes with a small bowl of tartare sauce, a piece of lime, and a small sliver of lemon on top of the fish.

nice touch

The Village Chippy is the best. I've tried all the others at some point. Yes, they have raised the prices and other than fish and chips you must be ready for an above average check. They now have Inidan food but I've not tried it yet. Assume frozen or some other way perhaps shrink wrapped then microwaved? For the large Cod with some chips and a drink you are going to spend 300baht but it's good.

The Village Chippy is the best. I've tried all the others at some point. Yes, they have raised the prices and other than fish and chips you must be ready for an above average check. They now have Inidan food but I've not tried it yet. Assume frozen or some other way perhaps shrink wrapped then microwaved? For the large Cod with some chips and a drink you are going to spend 300baht but it's good.

This puts Goose's back into play.

• 6 months later...

Sorry to get up an old thread, but I just got some take away fish and chips from the Village Chippy 3rd in Pattaya, got home and bunged them straight in the bin.

If I get chips from a "chippy" I expect fresh cut chips, not some under cooked "beefeater steak" style ones. They had no cod, which was my reason for going, so I had the Dory, but it to was sadly under cooked and watery

Is it under new owners? because 6 months ago I could not fault them

This puts Goose's back into play.

If Goose's is as good as it was last year, I highly recommend it. The dory and chips were as good as back in a decent place in the West or Australia and not expensive. I usually have cod, but the dory was so good that I did not bother.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Ban Thai Kitchen (newish place) on new second road. Same side as Bali Breeze in Jomtien, but maybe 300 metres south, has excellent fish and chips at 120 baht. Fish is a large helping of Dory in a crumb (not a Batter). Beer is cheap there also --- just saying --- no thanks, not with fish and chips.