Retirement Visa - Bank Account

Yesterday I managed to obtain a renewal of my retirement visa in Phibunmangsahan, but only due to the leniency and common sense shown by the Pol. Lt. Col. who signed the visa - a really charming and helpful lady.

One item I should have failed on was having a joint bank account with my wife; apparently, since 25th November, bank accounts have to be in the applicant's name only for a retirement visa, whereas a married visa can be a joint account.

Something we maybe don't always consider - the immigration staff are as brassed off with the constantly changing regulations as we are!

Thanks for the post. That is the immigration office I use. Great service every time I have been there.

Thats usefull information on the joint account.

There were no rule changes for the retirement extension other than a first time application only needs to have money in bank for 60 days.

Most offices have never accepted a Joint Account. So yes the op was lucky.

This is my 4th retirement renewal, and always with a joint account, as were the previous 8 marriage visas, so yes I guess I'm lucky I use Phibun. As Ubonjoe says, the people at Phibun are first rate.

This is my 4th retirement renewal, and always with a joint account, as were the previous 8 marriage visas, so yes I guess I'm lucky I use Phibun. As Ubonjoe says, the people at Phibun are first rate.

The Marriage Extension ,Yes.

With Retirement most offices will want you to have 1,600,000 as they reason that half the money is your Wife's.

When they read this they will change. :o

We had used a joint account for the last five years until Sept, renewal number six, not possible we were told. Went to bank, change to a single name account.

Back to immigration within 1 hour- got "retirement" visa - went back to bank and redeposited money in joint account. TIT

Is that just for retirement extensions using 800000 in the bank?...

The account also has to be in you name alone when you use the combination of income and money in the bank for the retirement extension.

...I use the 65000 pm route and have always had a joint account. (they require copy of marriage certificate)...

Theoretically, in this case you would not need to show any bank account at all but some immigration officers want to see a bank book, balance immaterial, and in this case a joint account is know to be acceptable.

--

Maestro

This has now got me worried!!!. Last 2 retirement extensions at Suan Plu I have been successful with joint bank account and the first one was with the combination option. I had only 500 k in the bank but backed it up with the letter from the Consulate. Following year I had the 800k, on both occasions had the wife with me for back up!.

So no problems if I have to change the bank details, as our local Bangkok Bank only an hours drive away, but do I have too???

Next extension due in March.

Yes, in principle the bank account should be in your name alone, or if it is a joint account the balance should be minimum 1,600,000 Baht.

Some immigration officers may allow a joint account with minimum 800k but as they won’t give you this in writing you can never be sure whether it will really be allowed when the time comes for you to apply.

--

Maestro

Re- my previous post No 12, Yesterday I changed my joint account which has the bulk of my savings to meet the annual amount required for the retirement extension. The wife was a little perturbed on why I was doing this but did 'nt make too much of a fuss!!. She has her own accounts with the Farmers Banks anyway.

So the account is now in my name only. As I had to close the account and re-open a new one Bangkok Bank issued me with a new BE 1st Debit card, it has 'VALUED CUSTOMER' in bold letters on it. Wow!

My last 6 retirement extentions and previous to them 7 marriage extentions all done at Suan Pluu were granted showing 800k in our joint account, supported by our marriage certificate and the presence of my wife.

There doesn't seem to be one rule for this. The mind boggles!

:o:D:D

What is you show the 800k in savings and a monthly of about 175000 baht thatt would cover either so has to be good for two?????

I am not sure what your are trying to say but if the applicant has a monthly income of minimum 65k per month he does not have to show evidence of any money in a bank account.

--

Maestro