Anyone Playing World Of Warcraft?

Ian_B

This MMOPRG has won several game of year awards and I'm very keen to start playing it

Anybody playing in Thailand on the US servers? If so is there any lag etc?

I know a Korean sever will happen in a few months (Blizzard are HUGE there), but all the text will be Korean and so unplayable for non-Koreans.

The UK version is out soon and I'll probably get that imported and use my UK card for billing, but am a bit apprehensive as I used to play Star Wars Galaxies and that used to crawl when in the cities due to the large number of fellow players

I've done a bit of research and World Of Warcraft should be playable on the US servers. Looking over some of the Auzzie gamer sites they are not badly effected by lag, so i guess as long as you stick to west coast US servers you should be ok.

My copy is on order, PC freshly upgraded and i'm ready to play as soon as the CD arrives in my sweaty palms.

Good luck with that, but by my reckoning unless your playing at 2am you wont get a lot of brits online (used to play Dark age of Camelot, but stopped becuase there wasnt anyone around)

I ordered the Auzzie version, so i only need an Auzzie billing address, apparently the addresses are not validated so you can get away with a fake address, although my aussie friend has agreed to allow me to use her address.

Get the US/Oz version, i've a few friends in SE Asia playing so you have an instant group of people to be online with...

I actually got a friend in Australia to order my copies then ship them over to me. Been told today she's got them and they will be forwarded onto me in the next 24hrs - so give it a week (or two) and i will have them.

Get a copy Chailen, that puts us to 5 players if Ian_B gets one also, which is the max group size for WoW. Got some friends playing in the beta for WoW and i'm getting a lot of great feedback for the game, its gunna be great :o

I played EQ a looooong time ago, got me instantly hooked on On-line games, thats my only real gripe with Phuket, the internet connection isnt great for online stuff... but hopefully getting my ADSL line in soon will sort some of that out...

I actually got a friend in Australia to order my copies then ship them over to me. Been told today she's got them and they will be forwarded onto me in the next 24hrs - so give it a week (or two) and i will have them.

Get a copy Chailen, that puts us to 5 players if Ian_B gets one also, which is the max group size for WoW. Got some friends playing in the beta for WoW and i'm getting a lot of great feedback for the game, its gunna be great :o

I played EQ a looooong time ago, got me instantly hooked on On-line games, thats my only real gripe with Phuket, the internet connection isnt great for online stuff... but hopefully getting my ADSL line in soon will sort some of that out...

Is it priced better in Australia... ? I might order it off amazon.com - in which case is easier for me. I hated running around killing rats and snakes in EQ... I prefer instant action, and many say WoW won't be disapointing. :D

The software is localised, so if you purchase the US version you will need to provide a US billing address (Real or Fake) The reason i ordered the Aussie version was so that if i needed to provide a real billing address i had one available to me.

With any online game your going to have a few levels of killing dross so that you get used to the game, the interface and the commands... even in WoW your going to have to go through a few levels of this... of course, if you hook up with me whilst doing that its going to be a lot more fun :o

The software is localised, so if you purchase the US version you will need to provide a US billing address (Real or Fake) The reason i ordered the Aussie version was so that if i needed to provide a real billing address i had one available to me.

With any online game your going to have a few levels of killing dross so that you get used to the game, the interface and the commands... even in WoW your going to have to go through a few levels of this... of course, if you hook up with me whilst doing that its going to be a lot more fun :D

You are so on! :D

I don't supposed they're going to have a localized version in Thailand? :o

I have US Billing address... but how much is it monthly?

Well unless you can read thai script a localised Thai version wouldnt be a lot of help :o

Will there be a monthly fee to play the game?

Yes. After the end of the free month included with the game, you will need a subscription in order to continue playing the game. You have three options, as you will see when you create your account: a month-to-month package at $14.99 per month, a three-month plan at $13.99 per month, or a six-month plan at $12.99 per month. You can also substitute game cards, sold at major game retailers, for the monthly subscription.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com

Hey, $15 totally reasonable... Plus I just got my Geforce 6800 Ultra and am itching to test it out....

Ok, just got it off Amazon.com. Now while I wait and before I get myself addicted day and night to another game, let me go through HL2 first... 3 days should do it... and what should I do for the next 4? :o

*Pleasure over-load* somebody pop my bubble.

Close.. but no cookie

I played a scout in Dark Age of Camelot, and i've gone off bow users,

Currently the party make-up is looking like Nightelf Druid and a Nightelf Rogue. And for Horde were lookign at Orc Warrior and Troll Priest.

I'd be playing the Night elf Rogue (love stealthy types) and the troll priest... but this is still open to discussion until we know who the 5 players will be (or 4 players)

Whats your ideas on a character?

Oh yes, I totally forgot Hunters were bow-proficient. But dude, hunters come with a pet! :D

I will play female - that's my only requirement. The rest is up to you guys.

For anyone interested in being a dwarf -- I am also SO in love with dwarves, can't get enough of 'em they seem to have a "Dwarven-" everything when they talk about themselves. :o

So what about you Ian_B? Up for it?

problem for me is I don't have a US or Aussie billing address so may be difficult to play anything but the UK version.

Any idea if you can choose which WOW to play on or are you restricted to the server associated with the locallised version you have?

So what about you Ian_B? Up for it?

problem for me is I don't have a US or Aussie billing address so may be difficult to play anything but the UK version.

Any idea if you can choose which WOW to play on or are you restricted to the server associated with the locallised version you have?

Ian, I got this off Worldofwarcraft.com:

Can players select what Realm they play on?

Yes. However, you must choose a Realm that is located within your geographical region. For example, North American players must select a North American server, and European players must select European servers. Some exceptions will exist. Australian and New Zealand players, for example, will connect to servers on the U.S. West Coast. The regionally specific servers are there to improve game performance and provide the best online experience possible.

Mine is on "pre order" and won't be here for another 3-4 weeks... :o

Your better off getting the Oz versions...

I got word from BM Media that a Thai version with English option should be avaible soon.. release date pending. There is an Asian server in Korea to keep us occupied when it does come out.... BUT... does any one remember playing Diablo with the Koreans? Some were great.... some were...not? They constanly chat in their own language that showed up as little blocks on my screen.... :o

Your better off getting the Oz versions...

I got word from BM Media that a Thai version with English option should be avaible soon.. release date pending. There is an Asian server in Korea to keep us occupied when it does come out.... BUT... does any one remember playing Diablo with the Koreans? Some were great.... some were...not? They constanly chat in their own language that showed up as little blocks on my screen.... :D

If there will be a Thai version with English option that may be the way to go for me

My wife still loves to play Pristontale (where she is now level 50'ish) but is started to get bored with it as it's a pretty limited game compared to the current crop of MMORPGS

With the dual language option we can play it together, though she'll end up being more powerfull as she plays games whilst I'm at work :o

Knowing a little about Online games and a little about blizzard, your going to be waiting a minimum of 6-9 months before a thai language version is available. In reality thats going to equate to a year, by the time its all done, the infrastructure is in place and the software is on the shelves.

And thats if it happens at all, i really cant see Blizzard spending time and money on translating to thai when the market share is so small (compaired to other places in Asia and Europe)

Thats just my 2 baht anyway

Knowing a little about Online games and a little about blizzard, your going to be waiting a minimum of 6-9 months before a thai language version is available. In reality thats going to equate to a year, by the time its all done, the infrastructure is in place and the software is on the shelves.

And thats if it happens at all, i really cant see Blizzard spending time and money on translating to thai when the market share is so small (compaired to other places in Asia and Europe)

Thats just my 2 baht anyway

I'll take that 2 baht! :o

Blizzard (Vivendi Universal) has been using BM Media to do all their translating for a while now. They're not as... shall we say "dedicated" as EA Games where EA will translate everything into another language and replace English completely for the sake of localization - Which is a complete waste of time if you ask me.

Most of the time BM Media just translate the box and manual contents, the original game stays pretty much the same. I think the biggest project they have thus far is HL2 - from which there were actual in-game translations involved.

Either way, my copy is coming. If it gets localized, I'll look into that as well.

Everquest2 is another game to look into if your an Online MMORG freak like me... :D

:o For some reason, EQ never clicked with me. I had so many friends tried to get me playing, but I never got used to it... so I decided that EQ2 was also a natural enemy :D

WoW will be my first MMORPG since the genre started. :D

EQ was good, EQ2 will be better, they had an entire World of material to use, the whole continents, stories, quests etc and have rewritten large parts... its going to be great (you really should look into it)

But agreed, WoW will be really cool, i always liked the Warcraft series so migrating that from a stand-alone PC game into a persistant Online world will make it even better.

As for being your first MMORG, dont worry too much about it, there will be a ready made group there to help you along and get you started... MMORGS are very social games, unlike other computer based games that tend to be solo affairs. MMORGs you get to meet up with people, chat and have a laugh whilst playing the game... a little concerned they have reduced the maximum group size to 5 (other games its around 8 people) but i'm sure it wont effect things too much :o

I was playing wow in canada, and yes its worth it, i have my cds with me in Bangkok and have yet to find a place where i can at least login, but i will be getting a laptop and will put it on, i expect to lag a little bit :o but what can ya do eh. :D

anyone know of any cyber cafes that have Counterstrike ONLINE, sheesh!! you can only mow down so many Thais on lan before you need some online play .. lol.

PM me with which server your on and character names g0mer, i'll look out for you when i get the game running...

ADSL ordered... should be connected by friday (maybe)

Game in shipping, should get it by Friday (Hopefully)

New Stonking GFX card on order, should get it by Friday (Definately)

Guess what i'm doing next weekend?

I play on west coast server Ner Zhul, and my characters are Horde Troll hunter (awesome fun) g0merino is his name and Horde Undead warlock named PurplePieMan.

I dont even know if it will work from thailand but i guess we will soon find out.

once again.. anyone know a good Cyber cafe in BKK that has counterstrike and some food first person shooters games, all the ones i find are all the silly asian games like Ragnarok online.