Farang Street Magician On Walking Street

eek

Bf came back from Sunday Walking Street raving on about a farang magician who was amazing and very clever etc etc.

He got his card from him. Apparently he spoke in Thai too.

Havent seen him, so cant vouch for his act, but thought I would let CM members know in case they fancy going along to see him. Personally I like it when I hear about a westerner doing some kind of act that leaves a positive impression in Thai peoples minds. So also feels good to promote him a little.

His website is: which show his upcoming dates in CM. Just a street performance, where the donation was requested at the end.

I hope to see for myself at one of his performances.

To clarify, i do not know him or shamelessly promoting! :o Just posting something that may be of interest to some.

Bf came back from Sunday Walking Street raving on about a farang magician who was amazing and very clever etc etc.

Havent seen him, so cant vouch for his act, but thought I would let CM members know in case they fancy going along to see him. Personally I like it when I hear about a westerner doing some kind of act that leaves a positive impression in Thai peoples minds. So also feels good to promote him a little.

His website is: which show his upcoming dates in CM. Just a street performance, where the donation was requested at the end.

To clarify, i do not know him or shamelessly promoting! :o Just posting something that may be of interest to some.

As you say it's nice to hear of a foreigner doing something interesting that leaves an impression.

Trouble is if he's that popular and blocks walking street, he'll probably get moved on by one of those (foreign) wannabe Thai cops in blue.

As you say it's nice to hear of a foreigner doing something interesting that leaves an impression.

Trouble is if he's that popular and blocks walking street, he'll probably get moved on by one of those (foreign) wannabe Thai cops in blue.

I sincerely doubt that he will be 'moved on.' Thanks for sharing the information about him. It's good to read something positive for a change about someone who is providing escape from the current problems being experienced my many.

Edited by ubonjoe

:o:D:D Yawn yawn We dont move anyone on, THEOS maybe you need to learn a little about what we do instead of posting inaccurate information.

Many acts block walking street and that's part of the attraction, with ref to this chap my thoughts are more work permit related especially if he is taking money, not that we would check that either but if the reg cops pass by he could get a check I personally saw him and wish him the best

Edited by FarangCravings

:o:D:D Yawn yawn We dont move anyone on, THEOS maybe you need to learn a little about what we do instead of posting inaccurate information.

Many acts block walking street and that's part of the attraction, with ref to this chap my thoughts are more work permit related especially if he is taking money, not that we would check that either but if the reg cops pass by he could get a check I personally saw him and wish him the best

I enjoy both Saturday and Sunday walking streets. Although some entertainment clog the street a bit, I am able to move through slowly. If his act became that popular with Thais, I wouldn't appreciate being stuck in the middle of a growing mass of Thai people where no one can move one way or another. Quite dangerous IMO, so I wouldn't mind such a popular act being moved. Sorry.

I enjoy both Saturday and Sunday walking streets. Although some entertainment clog the street a bit, I am able to move through slowly. If his act became that popular with Thais, I wouldn't appreciate being stuck in the middle of a growing mass of Thai people where no one can move one way or another. Quite dangerous IMO, so I wouldn't mind such a popular act being moved. Sorry.

I know what you mean, all those pesky people buying things from the stalls along the road can be a serious irritation too . . . :o

Best of luck to the magician . . . didn't we have a magician posting here a little while back?

JxP

I know what you mean, all those pesky people buying things from the stalls along the road can be a serious irritation too . . . :o

I am glad you agree. I believe walking streets should be free of vendors, tourists, musicians, shoppers, dogs, and others so I can enjoy a quiet stroll. :D :D

maybe he can do magic and come up with a work permit should the need arise

Precisely this thought occurred to me :o , along with wondering if importing magicians to Thailand (in heavily touristed zones, in particular) might not be rather similar to taking coals to Newcastle?

Regarding work permits, I really wish there were more viable options for foreigners. Why cant he receive some kind of temp entertainment license? People from all over the world can entertain at street level in London, Edinburgh, etc. CM and other places could even have a regular entertainers event maybe? Or, if people dont like street events at the market, they could have a specific area. I actually like it when I see them around the 3 kings area.

I think street level entertainment is one of lifes joys. Some amazing performers, some absolutely dire! But that is part of the pleasure. I also loved Speakers Corner in London, and would be amazing if a version (although i imagine would need to be MUCH tamer), was around in CM.

The visa categories are really too limited. (Dont even want to get started on the restrictions for volunteering). I really hope that he has a good time whilst here and that he doesnt get into any problems. Personally im very happy and proud to know of a farang street entertainer providing entertainment to the Thai. I wish there were more. I imagine his presence encourages a positive perspective of westerners in Thailand. That can only be a good thing.

Precisely this thought occurred to me :o , along with wondering if importing magicians to Thailand (in heavily touristed zones, in particular) might not be rather similar to taking coals to Newcastle?

Hmm sorry waiwai, but I dont agree. I think street performers/entertainers/artists etc should be diverse. Part of what I loved about street entertainment in Edinburgh and London was the real diversity offered. People of different nationalities, with different acts. Some traditional acts, some modern, some unusual. I also do think if more foreign entertainers were around at this kind of street level, it could help build further positive images of foreigners to Thai.

Anybody remember the piper a few years back? ..... Bagpipes that is, not the smoking kind

I remember that this piper was about to be rousted by the BIB, when along came a NAME and made a suggestion that the police go find something else to do and stated that CM needed more of this cultural exchange type of input.

Edited by Gonzo the Face

I spoke with this guy at the flower festival, he was doing his act. From what he told me he was born here in Thailand, and has a Thai ID card. He was educated here too, if you see him speak Thai you would prob guess that anyway. Good luck to him

Tigerbeer: maybe he can do magic and come up with a work permit should the need arise.

QUOTE (WaiWai @ 2009-02-24 13:08:32)

Precisely this thought occurred to me , along with wondering if importing magicians to Thailand (in heavily touristed zones, in particular) might not be rather similar to taking coals to Newcastle?

Eek: Hmm sorry waiwai, but I dont agree. I think street performers/entertainers/artists etc should be diverse.

:o Seems my little joke was misunderstood. I was referring to the diverse other magics which sometimes occur in markets and other heavily-touristed areas.

I also do think if more foreign entertainers were around at this kind of street level, it could help build further positive images of foreigners to Thai.

Please discuss, CM forum members :D .

Hurriedly, but more seriously:

Never treat Work Permit issues lightly. I hope this chap is working legally.

Also, street performers (esp. foreigners in this context, I'd expect) and other forms of "obstruction" in crowded areas can create something of a nuisance, forcing people onto the road and into the traffic.

There's also the issue of rented space. I understand the stall holders in the touristed areas pay for their space (quite possibly not just for rent in the premium territory, but to "other parties", too). It might be unwise to tangle with territorial agreements in such areas if one is not renting one's own space, because of the risk of irritating paying stall holders and the (possible) "other parties".

Edited by WaiWai

this guy will be fine unless someone pays some tea cash to move him on, which i highly doubt will happen. if anything it stops people near their vending areas. any police will likely get a kick out of his act as opposed to asking him for papers for taking tips.

on a side note, go there too early and nothing's set up, anytime after 6 or 7 and it's so congested it's not very fun... i don't mind busy, but it's somewhat too much for me personally.

Edited by damian5000

this guy will be fine unless someone pays some tea cash to move him on, which i highly doubt will happen. if anything it stops people near their vending areas. any police will likely get a kick out of his act as opposed to asking him for papers for taking tips.

Damian -- maybe yes, maybe no ... however, always best to keep within Work Permit rules, especially if working so openly (speaking generally; have no knowledge of this particular case).

on a side note, go there too early and nothing's set up, anytime after 6 or 7 and it's so congested it's not very fun... i don't mind busy, but it's somewhat too much for me personally.

I quite agree! Enough people there already, from a personal point of view. I have seen tourists of various ages and sizes knocked off course in the milling crowd, or simply becoming irritated by the congestion and noise.

Damian -- maybe yes, maybe no ... however, always best to keep within Work Permit rules, especially if working so openly (speaking generally; have no knowledge of this particular case).

I quite agree! Enough people there already, from a personal point of view. I have seen tourists of various ages and sizes knocked off course in the milling crowd, or simply becoming irritated by the congestion and noise.

not much to be done about it i suppose... even in the 2 years i've spent here things have changed quite a bit...but you can't keep people from this amazing place (chiang mai)... lamphun is looking nicer every day to me, next time i come with a decent roll, that'll likely be the spot. close enough to the conveniences of CM, but away from all the hustle bustle, yaa baa, p-baa's, and insane drivers

greetings,

im flattered that you all are writing about me. its interesting to read different peoples views on what they think, and the different directions the thread has gone. all the questions you guys and gals have posted, all the thoughts, i have an answer or reply for.

but im most happy to read that someone wrote what was most true about it all. they mentioned the fact about the entertainment taking minds off all the bad news happening around us.

thats one of my intentions with my work.

sincerely,

magically,

nick w

What happened to the website address? If you are not allowed to post it, could you please PM the web address to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone needing Nick's contact details are welcome to pm me for contact details.

This magician is talented and makes a lot of people very happy.

Why not visit Love at first bite on Saturdays @ 16:30

Ally

• 1 month later...