Anti-hacker Software

Noodles

ANTI-HACKER SOFTWARE

I now have most pretection software on my computer.... except

for the above, which would you advise be good for me...free and non free!

thanks

Noodles

Free: see Microsoft New Spyware thread on this forum

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/s...re/default.mspx

Non-free: eTrust PestPatrol

http://www.ca.com/products/pestpatrol/

Best advice: use protection programmes that can be frequently/regularly updated with new definitions - AND KEEP THEM FREQUENTLY/REGULARLY UPDATED!!!

ANTI-HACKER SOFTWARE

I now have most pretection software on my computer.... except

for the above, which would you advise be good for me...free and non free!

thanks

Noodles

A program not yet mentioned is Hijack This! It's a freebie, Google will find it. This program will list all settings and programs having the capability of affecting the way Internet Explorer works, and will show any nasty plants.

But watch out! It lists the 'good' as well as the 'bad'. So be careful not to delete anything that is needed for IE to work properly.

What Noodles could do, if he's not sure, is install and run it, then find a way to copy & paste the resulting screen into a new posting. I'm sure forum members will be happy to advise him on the 'good' & the 'bad' (if any).

Edited by johnrh

If you want to block intrusions but don't have very much computer experience then download Zonealarm, go for the Default settings, and set the trusted zone and internet on "high".

Now, Zonealarm will ask you when your programs try to access the internet, if you give it permission to. If you don't know what the program is, then say no. This doesn't normally cause problems as long as your browser, email client, and any other communication software has the ok to access. AIM, MSIM, mIRC, ICQ, and other chat or instant message software will ask for permission to act as aserver. Click Ok, as thats how these programs work.

If you aren't sure of something, ask here and we'll try and sort you out.

Before The Zonealarm install, be sure you run your spyware programs. I use spybot search & destroy, and ad-aware. Other posters have given you some other options as well.

Good Luck

cv

that is needed for IE to work properly.

:D:o:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

all your browser are belong to us

switch to thr firefox browser from mozilla and only enable javascript for site you trust

run spybot , adaware regularly

install zonealarm

install antivirus software ( eg. www.free-av.com )

update all of the above regularly.

change your email client from outlook(express) to pegasus or thunderbird and stop reading your mail in HTML format. ( also do not pass on silly chain mails jokes and feelgood stories - stop CC íng mails unless it is imperative people see who else has recieved the mail, try BCC (blind carbon copy ) instead.)