Gout Remedies

irish1

Gout is an idicaator of a liver not working so well any more. The liver stops producing the enzymes that break down purins in certain foods these are also found in vegetables as well as meat including chicken. The kidneys get overloaded by the rise in uric acid once the purins are converted.

Drinking lots of water helps because you are hydrated and this keeps the uric acid in solution.

When I got back on my thyroid medication my gout attacks stopped. By taking thyroid I reved up my metabolism and theis helps make everything work better.

Good luck it hurts like hel_l.

Last year I had to make a hurried trip back to Australia and forgot my gout medication. Sure enough I had an attack.

My Mum gave me a pill she uses for her leg soreness and within hours my problem was relieved. Never had such quick relief.

I went to a chemist and asked to buy the pills but told I needed a doctor prescription. The Lady asked why I wanted the medication and I told her about my experience, she agreed that, yes, it should work then the penny dropped. She turned around a grabbed a packet of pills with the same active ingredient but ½ the dosage.

A year later I still have 13 out of the 24 pills I bought. They are great and the ONLY medication I take on a gout attack, I don’t use any other regular medication, have my 4 pints of beer a day and normal diet.

Wait for it. They are manufactured by Bayer and called Naprogesic used for the relief of “Period Pains”, The basic ingredient is Naproxen Sodium 275mg

Dont listen to any of this shi_te about what to eat to cure it.Eatin nothing will cancel the uric acid that settles to the knees or feet, causing the pain. Each case individual is unique in what will trigger the attacks and build up of acid. Finding out the culprit in any case is often a long winded process as the experts will test you with each food and have to get seperate urine tests and readings for each food until they find the trigger.

In Australia we have a preventative drug called progout which you take all the time, and another called progout which you take only when you are in the throes of an attack. I havent had an attack for years and i am actually not even taking anything at the moment but keep the medication handy in case. I think this is due to my bugger-all intake of meat and red wine.

Im not sure if they have the medication here, i suspect not, but the name is ALLOPURINOL, maybe not much use in thailand tho.

all the best

I'll second much of what 'ozzieovaseas' says here. I'm a gout sufferer for about 20 years. I eventually stopped drinking any sort of liquor, but still occasionally get attacks .. from mild to severe.

Gout is a very individual condition. What works for other folks won't always work for me.

I'm presently recovering from the worst gout attack of my life. After a night of severe chills and fever, large areas of my lower leg and foot erupted in huge blisters .. looking very much like 2nd & 3rd degree burns. As I said, how gout effects some folks will be quite different than how it effects others.

Allopurinol - several years ago, I had a bad attack while taking apparently therapeutic doses.

Colchacine (sold under various brand names) - one of the drugs of choice for acute attacks .. and not a good alternative. As a bonus, Colchacine can cause kidney damage.

Foods high in "purines" are believed to be a prime culprit. They create excess uric acid which (I believe) precipitates out inside joints .. causing needles to form. The pain and swelling are created by damaged to the tissue inside these joints.

• 2 weeks later...

SODIUM BICARBONATE - or baking soda (1 teaspoon), and a litre of water first thing in the morning works for me. Got rid of my gout (forever, i hope!) allupirinol works fine, but there are contraindications i believe. anyways, after i discovered baking soda, i enjoy my beers and red meat, no problems. but, do so with moderation...different strokes for different folks...