Where Are The Wild Tigers And Elephants?

canopy

Guest Reimar

In the Khao Yai National Park you can see Elephants and other wild animals quite easy and with luck you'll also see a Tiger. From my trips to the Khao Yai in the past 28 years, I've seen Tigers a total of 7 times but Elephants a lot.

You can reach the Khao Yai via Pak Chong which is on the way from Bangkok to Nakhon Ratchasima.

Cheers.

tigers1.png

from Smith JLD et al "Metapopulation Structure of Tigers in Thailand" Chapter in Seidesticker J, Christie S and Jackson P (eds) "Riding the Tiger" 166-175 (Cambridge, 1999)

A similar distribution survey from a 2004 publication can be found at:

http://www.savethetigerfund.org/AM/Templat...;CONTENTID=2740

with tables of estimated populations in various locales. The Schwann referred to is in fact Schwann Thunikorn and Schwann (2004) is in fact Thunikorn (2004), the publication itself.

• 2 weeks later...

On my only visit to Khao Yai I was led to believe that it was very difficult to get a glimpse of a tiger. I was told it would require a trek of several days and even then the chances would be slim. There only seemed to be one photograph taken of a tiger there in recent years, and that was with an automatic trap camera. I would have thought that if it was so easy there would be more photographs. Good news anyway.

• 2 years later...

There is lots of pics and info on Thailand's wildlife at www.wildlifethailand.com , also on www.brucekekule.com and www.khaoyainews.com

Wildlife Thailand is my favorite, although I am biased because the guy who runs it is a Royal Oak regular. Nice bloke.

There is lots of pics and info on Thailand's wildlife at www.wildlifethailand.com , also on www.brucekekule.com and www.khaoyainews.com

Wildlife Thailand is my favorite, although I am biased because the guy who runs it is a Royal Oak regular. Nice bloke.

Great links, man.

Thank you very much.

B) As Some other posters have mentioned there are definitely a lot of wild Elephants in The Kaeng Krachan National preserve in Phetburi Province and near by in Pala -U this is very near the Burmese Border around Phetburi and Hua Hin. We used to take our Isuzu 4 WD and drive around up there and seen many trails from the Elephants where they crossed the road. There are also supposed to be a few Tigers. Also Khao Yai as others have mentioned. I have always wanted to stop there on my way to our farm in Buri Ram but never got a chance. There is still a lot of wildernes and we used to see all kinds of wildlife around our shrimp farm near Khao Sam Roi Yawt near Pranburi. Monkeys, monitor lizards , SE asian Water lizards, King Cobras,Otters, Pythons, Turtles, every kind of bird and waterfowl it is one of the major flyways for migratory birds in Asia.

LL

On my only visit to Khao Yai I was led to believe that it was very difficult to get a glimpse of a tiger.

Yes, I think the chance of actually seeing a wild one are akin to the chances of winning the lottery. I recall theres an estimate of 200 - 400 in Thailand. All living in dense forest/jungle.