International Driver License Scam

If you read the disclaimer and terms of use on the website www.international-license.com advertised on ThaiVisa, you quickly realize that it is a scam and there is nothing legal or binding about the product they offer. My suggestion would be a much cheaper option is available at Khaosan Road "for entertainment purposes only", for less than even the shipping of this product.

Edited by johnefallis

If you read the disclaimer and terms of use on the website www.international-license.com advertised on ThaiVisa, you quickly realize that it is a scam and there is nothing legal or binding about the product they offer. My suggestion would be a much cheaper option is available at Khaosan Road "for entertainment purposes only", for less than even the shipping of this product.

John

I agree! And if the Thai traffic cops were aware of what a real IDP looks like, they'd bust the holders of this item.

I'm due to get my new annual IDP from AAA Oregon next month, good for only one year and costs $15 now, but legit!

Sample attached.

Mac

John

I agree! And if the Thai traffic cops were aware of what a real IDP looks like, they'd bust the holders of this item.

I'm due to get my new annual IDP from AAA Oregon next month, good for only one year and costs $15 now, but legit!

Sample attached.

Mac

Thanks for that bit of info, just what I needed to hear, but where is the sample?

Edited by johnefallis

John

Sample attached.

Mac

Heading to Salem for mine in Jul.

For the US folks you can do it by mail through the AAA also. Their website has the details.

You can put any date you want for the effective date. If you want to get it now but have it become effective in July they will do that.

Guest Bellini

When I travelled to the United States some years ago I needed an English translation of my local driving licence, not an international driving licence, for driving a car in that country. I don't know what other countries would accept this translation but believe that some countries would want to see an international driving licence.

Where does the advert appear ? Is it one directly inserted by TV or is it an Ad's by Google ?

But I agree the 'licence' is worthless.

An "International Driving Permit" is a different thing, and the one that has legal status.

• 3 weeks later...

They are not legal.. But they are not without thier uses..

I got a pack of 2 credit card sized licenses, with holograms and official looking.. and a book.. Valid for 10 years.. for about 30 bucks.. If you have a problem you can give one to the police as security you will return.. and not even worry about it.. You can lose a wallet.. they are disposable..

Also the DMV issued me a Thai set of car and bike.. Based on one of those 'useless' IDL's..

So they have uses.. Even if they are not legal.

Becarefull!!!!!

The holograms are very poor so if you give one to the thai police and he checks it, ( most dont ) you will be causing yourself a costly bit of aggro. I have a 12 month international permit which costs 7 quid and used it regularly without any problems :o

Here is the catch as I read it.

The International Driver Document is a legal translation of a current driver's liscense ...."

The above may or may not be the case, and it may or may not be accepted as a translation of your home countries DL in the countries listed, however, it does not appear to be an International Driving Permit.

Here is the catch as I read it.
The International Driver Document is a legal translation of a current driver's liscense ...."

The above may or may not be the case, and it may or may not be accepted as a translation of your home countries DL in the countries listed, however, it does not appear to be an International Driving Permit.

Go to US government and they clearly state this is a scam, go to UK and the same is said there, go to EU and the same is stated there, Ask in Thailand and they also state it is not legal here but a scam. And I find it hard to understand why ThaiVisa is advertising for a scam, but strictly impose censorship for there members.

All the scam is a translation of your driving license, that's it. You can go to a translation agency and translate it with the same validity if you get it stamped. Only few government approved agencies as you find listed in your country can issue a legal international driving permit, this is clearly stated in the law.

All they sell is a verified translation of your national license, and so? Can you drive with it in another country? No, for that you need an International Driving Permit issued by an approved agency which these guys are NOT. So you buy what? A verified translation, that's it, not a permit or license just a translation, and since all licenses even in Thailand is also in English what the heck do you need that for?

Ohh here is a translation of this multilingual license officer, "OK but where is your IDP?" OUPS

Cheers Bard

January 16, 2003

A federal district court has ordered several marketers to stop using Internet spam to sell so-called "international driver's permits" (IDPs). The Federal Trade Commission charges sellers who, under the guise of "international law," pitched their worthless documents to immigrants and other consumers who were seeking an alternative to a government-issued driver's license or identification document.

Authentic IDPs, which are available in the U.S. from only two authorized agencies, American Automobile Association

(AAA) and American Automobile Touring Alliance (AATA), have a very limited use and purpose.

"The defendants deceptively marketed bogus documents," said J. Howard Beales III, Director of the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection.

So the scammers who ised IDL (international Drivers License) and IDP (International Driving Permit) and (IDD) International Driver Document is all worthless pieve of paper. PERIOD.

Well, I suppose Thai Visa would have to complain to Google about it. From my understanding, we don't have much control about what google advertises in their allocated spots.

Any-wayyyy. This is a good topic for those who are thinking about one of these types of IDLT's to read first.

I have adblock pro installed so my web access doesnt look like a nascar race..

But is this a google ad or a banner / sponser add.. If the former I agree its not the forums fault, if the latter it should be removed.

Yes it's the forum who is showing the add so they are responsible, not Google. The forum need to notify Google that this ad is not following the rules and should be removed from there advertisement space. Google will then remove this one from the ad stream. Simple as that...

As this is now ThaiVisa / The Nation, people will think the ad is backed by them and buy the scam due to it... Now, ethically this is misleading and I can easily see a pissed off person who buy through the TV link.

Cheers Bard

This begs the question.

What are the legal implications say if you had a serious accident while driving/riding using one of these International driving documents as apposed to the same circumstances while driving/riding using a government approved International driving permit.

Edit spelling

Edited by Farma

John

Sample attached.

Mac

Thanks for that bit of info, just what I needed to hear, but where is the sample?

Oops, sorry, and apologize for not checking back to this subforum for a spell.

Cover of an AAA issued IDP should be attached now. Application can be filled out online here:

http://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpapplc.html

For address to mail it to, do a google for office in your state: aaa oregon (for example)

FYI, mailed my application in last week so should get it back shortly. My Oregon license is expiring in June so believe I'll get a note back with the one-year IDP stating something like "Note, your Oregon license is expiring and if not renewed, this IDP also expires on the same date." They did this a few years back under the same circumstances. Renewed my Oregon license which made the IDP valid.

Mac

post-32650-1238655102_thumb.jpg

This begs the question.

What are the legal implications say if you had a serious accident while driving/riding using one of these International driving documents as apposed to the same circumstances while driving/riding using a government approved International driving permit.

Edit spelling

I second you there, you are correct. It's like you can rent a big bike or car in Thailand with no license whatsoever shown, the rental company don't give a shit, and why should they? YOU as the driver are RESPONSIBLE to follow the rules where you are, they are NOT responsible for your actions.

Because you can do something don't mean it's legal and when shit hits the fan you will see the price to pay for ignorance. One expat had to cough up 5 million baht for this ignorance when he had an accident without valid license and killed an old man, needless to say he did not have these money and sat in Bangkok Hilton last time I heard from him... I don't understand why people just don't do it legally, how bloody hard is that??? Cheaper as well...

Cheers Bard

An International driving permit is recognised by most countries in the world (including Thailand) it is simply a permit that states you have a valid driving licence from your country of origin. Most countries accept this for legal and insurance purposes (including Thailand). But they can still refuse you the right to drive. International drivng permits are only valid for ONE year, there are no exceptions, so if you see an add for 5 years or 10 years, it is bogus. I had one from USA and thai authorities in Jangwat Rayong said "throw it in the bin".

If you are using one of these and have an accident in Thailand, you will end up paying out lots of money, steer clear of them and do it legally.

regards

Freddie