My Girlfriend's A Nightmare On Holiday

Asianrider

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Monty do the maids not check the room when the customer checks out. Surely they would notice a missing DVD player?

Missing remotes must be very frustrating!

They try to.

But we are a relative small operation, so our maids are only present during office hours, on top of that we work a lot with groups, meaning that sometimes 10 or more rooms check out simultaneously...

Not always easy :D

DVD only happened once though!

It's the remotes which annoy me the most, heck not everybody has the same LG AC's as I have, or do they?

Maybe you should hand out the remotes at reception when people check in and charge a refundable deposit.

Cambodian style, when you check in they give you room key, TV remote and AC remote. When checking out you return them back together with keys and they still go and check the towels. And propably the AC units...

It kinda makes a statement when they hand them over to you with the keys. They do not say anything but one get's the feeling they are expecting to get them back :o

I've took my GF to England a few times ....

she collected / stole 20 + of the little travel kits they give for overnight on a plane

at the time it a very nice shell shaped zip up purse thing ..... that had the usual ear plugs , eye patch , socks etc , etc

when we came back to Thailand and went up north to her home ...... she gave then out as presents ( saved me a few quid) :o

now when she flys ,she always leaves room in her travelbag , to stock up plane blankets :D

truth be told , i steal as many off them blankets as posible ......allways take a few of them up north for her family !!!

Edited by BEDBANDIT

I love to take as many matches as possible.

(I'm a smoker and I have a bowel full of a lot of around the world matches)

Am I a cheap charlie?? :o

Ouch! A bowel full? That's gotta keep the mail from moving!! :D

And no, matches as souvenirs don't make you cheap. My late brother loved it when I'd bring back matches from trips. We'd use them when smoking cigars and talk about the places we'd been and would like to go.

My missus likes hotel towels, airline blankets etc. We have a farking million towels and enough blankets to open a hotel so I have no idea why she nicks them.

Actually a friend and I poured ourselves a few voddies from an unattanded bottle (while we were pissed) in soi 33 a while ago and got caught. I thought we would be thrown out but instead, the staff just laughed their asses off at us.

The hoarding of trivial items like this can be an indication of a general fear of the future.

The items of use I might take if the quaility is good, but some cheaper end hotels provide the cheapest possible soap etc. that I would prefer not to use anyway.

BTW.

For sale: Mini sewing kit. only 10 Baht. (Four hundred available.)

Freakin' annoying if you're a hotel owner!

I don't mind toiletries, we put them there to be used...

But remote's from televisions, A/C's and dvd players, the dvd players themselves, and the worst, towels. Disappear like there is no tomorrow :o

you would love me as a guest then, I normaly take my own stuff when staying in a hotel. :D

Nothing is really stolen, unless of course they chase after you and ask for it back....and you refuse. Most hotels can afford to give away a few mementos for those that want them. :o

..um I was always under the impression that you can take the toiletries if you want. That they are complimentary. I dont take them midway through a stay, but if i like the look of them I will take them away when I leave. I like the miniature soap and shampoos an stuff. I thought it was factored into the room cost.

Would never take towels or other things mentioned. But toiletries..why not??

--------------

As for hoarding and fear of the future, well, that certainly was true in my grandmothers case. She hoarded EVERYTHING! WOuld take sachets from coffee shops such as sugar. Hoarded elastic bands and paper bags and things. She said if there was another war, she would need them.

I actually didnt realise the extent of her hoarding until she died. My aunt and I had the task of sorting her home out. So much saved and hoarded, in every nook and cranny. Even under kitchen units, behind the skirting front. Was quite sweet and sad at the same time to see all that.

I don't bother with the toiletries, for a start they're too <deleted>' small and secondly they are usually cheap <deleted>. Current place I'm staying has a large bottle of aftershave on the shelf. One morning I took the top off and the cockroaches all keeled over coughing their guts up.

Maybe that's more a comment on my class of accommodation. :D:o

hiso Thais will not do this.

I think you find they do :o

I have been to about 5 different Hi So houses and stayed in the guest room and it came complete with Hotel slippers, dressing gowns and a complete set of Six Senses Tolietries :D

Edited by Boater

But remote's from televisions, A/C's and dvd players, the dvd players themselves, and the worst, towels. Disappear like there is no tomorrow :o

you would love me as a guest then, I normaly take my own stuff when staying in a hotel. :D

You bring your own remotes??? Don't forget to inquire on the brands needed when making your reservation :D :D :D

But remote's from televisions, A/C's and dvd players, the dvd players themselves, and the worst, towels. Disappear like there is no tomorrow :D

You bring your own remotes??? Don't forget to inquire on the brands needed when making your reservation :D:D:wai:

i must remind the wife to pack the remote before we go on holiday the next time were going :o

Edited by barrybike

Most common things taken from hotels:

1 Sewing kit

2 Soaps and shampoo

3 Towels

4 Ashtrays (for what I would not know)

5 Linnen

I think that is the correct order if memory serves me correctly.

My girlfriend stopped on # 3, could not stand the smell of the ashtry and did not like the linnen :o

I love to take as many matches as possible.

(I'm a smoker and I have a bowel full of a lot of around the world matches)

Am I a cheap charlie?? :o

No, but if you fart, you could be Thailand's first rocket in space. :D

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (loong @ 2009-03-26 18:22:01) *

My mates been known to open A/C and short something in order to get free A/C in Fan only rooms.

Fan only rooms do not have aircon, so how can your mates open aircon that doesn't exist?

i know what he's talking about... i have been to places where they will give you a "fan" room which actually has an a/c but the switch is located in the main office or something so it's not usable unless you pay extra.

My Thai lady takes nothing.

Myself the other hand... I always take the toothbrush IF it is sealed in a bag with a small tube of paste. These are great travel brushes or quick replacements when your own falls into the pooper by mistake. Saves me a 4am trip to 7-11. :o

Does she empty the mini bar as well? :o

Some people think that because they have paid for the room they are entitled to take anything that isn't actually part of the hotel structure. This concept is not limited just to Thais or any one nationality.

a friend who managed a 3 star hotel in Phuket told me that the russians have to be strip searched at check out as they quite often take the bed linen and doona cover as well as room fittings, one actually had the telly packed up in his bags :D

i also take the toiletries only as i recon that i paid for them whether i used them in the room or not

I stay at my time share in Jomptien and they supply shampoo, soap and those little plastic hair covers for the ladies. Most Thai women I know don't like the hotel shampoo, and I don't use it (I'm bald), but I do take the plastic hair cover for my ladies who occasionally want something when we have a shower together. The hotel soap is so small it gets used up in one shower. I may throw one or two unused ones in my toiletry kit, but that's about all. No need to steal towels. They are cheap enough as it is. And, all TVs come with remotes anyway, so who needs an extra one.

QUOTE (loong @ 2009-03-26 18:22:01) *

My mates been known to open A/C and short something in order to get free A/C in Fan only rooms.

Fan only rooms do not have aircon, so how can your mates open aircon that doesn't exist?

i know what he's talking about... i have been to places where they will give you a "fan" room which actually has an a/c but the switch is located in the main office or something so it's not usable unless you pay extra.

Then it is not a fan only room is it? It's a room that can be rented out at 2 different rates depending on the customers' requirements.

My Thai lady takes nothing.

Myself the other hand... I always take the toothbrush IF it is sealed in a bag with a small tube of paste. These are great travel brushes or quick replacements when your own falls into the pooper by mistake. Saves me a 4am trip to 7-11. :o

Dont forget the Razor with the little shaving cream. Lousy razor but a convenient for emergencies.