Tailors Whre Not To Go

harveymj

While holidaying in Hua Hin from the 8th February, 09 to the 11th February, 09 we were introduced to Hollywood Tailors by our expat friends who had also introduced others to them.

They were very friendly and the job was quick with multiple fitting sessions.

I ordered 2 Cashmere Wool suits with extra pants, 2 L/S shirts and my wife ordered 4 blouses & 4 pairs of womans slacks and for this we paid THB 29000.00.

Back home in Australia a costing of these items from their website tells me that I should have paid about THB14000.00 and been given 2 free shirts.

This week I took one of the suits in for Dry Cleaning only to find that it is a Polyester/Cotton mix NOT Cashmere as was agreed upon. I have emailed them and received no response

Do NOT shop here, they promise one thing and give you and inferior product, so much for the website guarantee. A total rip off.

I would say that very few customers in the tourist areas actually get what they think they are when buying so-called tailor made clothing. First, the clothing are hardly ever tailor made but rather made to measure and often the inner linings are glued, which is a complete different thing. Secondly, the materials are hardly ever what they appear to be, but cheep Chinese copies. Even the branded labels are copies.

There are, however, some excellent tailor shops in Bangkok that use genuine materials and employ master tailors but then we are talking of a complete different price range. For a genuine tailor made single breasted cashmere wool suite you would have to be prepared to pay at least 40,000 baht and that would be on the cheap side.

Never forget: "If it is too good to be true, it is probably not true". To you Harveymj it is "lessons learned".

While holidaying in Hua Hin from the 8th February, 09 to the 11th February, 09 we were introduced to Hollywood Tailors by our expat friends who had also introduced others to them.

I ordered 2 Cashmere Wool suits with extra pants, 2 L/S shirts and my wife ordered 4 blouses & 4 pairs of womans slacks and for this we paid THB 29000.00.

Back home in Australia a costing of these items from their website tells me that I should have paid about THB14000.00 and been given 2 free shirts.

This week I took one of the suits in for Dry Cleaning only to find that it is a Polyester/Cotton mix NOT Cashmere as was agreed upon. I have emailed them and received no response

Do NOT shop here, they promise one thing and give you and inferior product, so much for the website guarantee. A total rip off.

that's just sick on their part. The next itme you are here and want to use a good tailor go to Nick collection he is the best in town i have gotten many clothes stitched from him for myself and a bunch of friends.

• 1 year later...

Hmm, I dont quite agree with you there mate. If you have ever shopped at tailors in Thailand you would know that there are such things as "Normal quality" and "Good quality". What you have seen on the website must have been minimum/starting prices. As with everything, if you wish extra quality and extra decorations ect. you pay more. McD also advertice burgers for 20baht, but funny enough, if I buy a BigMac I pay 59 baht.

Also - If you use common sense, you should be able to spot that a suit made from 100% Cashmere wool cannot be bought for 2500 baht. That is just silly. Tailors in Thailand mix their fabric so that Cashmere wool is actually only the "main ingredient" in the fabric and makes up maybe 60-80%. The rest is synthetic "filler". You went wrong cause you did not use your common sense and blindly trusted that in Thailand you can get everything for nothing. The tailor on the other hand should have informed you that it was not 100% cashmere. But again, if I go to a jewelry store and ask for gold, I also know that there are different karats of gold.

Wipe your eyes my man, all in all you got a good price on a large purchase. The price would have been the same, if not more expensive in other tailors in Hua Hin. Btw, if you are able to track down 100% Cashmere wool in Hua Hin (I doubt it), be prepared to pay 20-25,000 baht per suit.

I have been to Hollywood tailor many times, and because I know that there are differences in the materials they use, I know how to get what I want for the best price. I have never been cheated at Hollywood tailor, nor have any of my friends...

that's just sick on their part. The next itme you are here and want to use a good tailor go to Nick collection he is the best in town i have gotten many clothes stitched from him for myself and a bunch of friends.

My son inlaw went to 'Nick collection' when he was over on holiday to have a three piece work suit made along with spare trousers and he got an excellent deal with them. He had three or four fittings with them and he was delighted with the suit, and he reckoned that it would have cost him at least twice to three times as much back in the UK for the same quality.

We had a very good luck at the finished garments and all that I can say was they were very well finished and I certainly would use them if I required a jacket or suit made. As a previous poster said "You get what you pay for".

I had some suits and shirts made in Bangkok years ago at a recommended tailor. They looked great until a couple of dry cleanings and then lost their shape and the poor quality stitching, especially on the jacket lining became obvious. If you are a hard to fit shape, maybe it's worth it but I found that I could get good quality off the rack suits in Men's clothing stores in the U.S. that were a better value, cost a bit more but lasted much longer.