Price Of Medication

FRM-BKK

Hello,

A friend of mine is running out of medicine he had brought with him from Australia. He needs to stock up on the following:

ATORVASTATIN (Liptor) 20 MG

and

IRBESARTAN (Avapro) 150 MG

He has been quoted some very high prices for the Liptor, like 7,500 THB for 30 tablets, another pharmacy quoted him 3,500 for 30 (40 MG) tablets and told him to split them.

Does anybody have an address where these medicines might be cheaper, or a generic alternative for these brands?

Your input will be very much appreciated.

Frm-Bkk.

I would advise him to consult a local doctor and see if these medications can be replaced by local made types first - will only cost a few hundred baht for consultation with a good doctor.

In general find "Save Drug" often located in Carrefour malls to be very reasonable but they do not carry all drugs. Near public hospitals there are often large drug stores (Thai type) that sell wholesale. They normally can provide a good price - and even better if you buy by package. The drug store inside Lotus seems to be fair priced now also (when they started it was very high markup). But some imported drugs will cost a lot here - so that is why it is important to find out if others might work as well at a much lower price.

Hello,

A friend of mine is running out of medicine he had brought with him from Australia. He needs to stock up on the following:

and

He has been quoted some very high prices for the Liptor, like 7,500 THB for 30 tablets, another pharmacy quoted him 3,500 for 30 (40 MG) tablets and told him to split them.

Does anybody have an address where these medicines might be cheaper, or a generic alternative for these brands?

Frm-Bkk.

An American doctor I know used to be on Lipitor, as I am, he switched to Bestatin so I did too, and am quite happy with it now for about 4-5 years.

Lipitor 20 mg used to cost me baht 1,950 for 30 tabs at a local pharmacy in the Rangsit Market.

Bestatin 20 mg costs me baht 114 (I repeat, 114!) for 30 tabs.

Mac

I would advise him to consult a local doctor and see if these medications can be replaced by local made types first - will only cost a few hundred baht for consultation with a good doctor.

Or sign up with your local Government hospital (if they will let you) most if not all have a list of generics for supply.

I'm on meds for hypertension that were costing me around 400 Baht for two weeks supply from a pharmacy, I thought that was cheap, but the same from the hospital costs 150 Baht for a month.

They probably will make you take a weight measurement and blood pressure test every time you go (doesn't matter what is wrong with you) but that's a small cross to bear.

(P.S. good to see you back Lop)

Irbesarten is still under patent so there is no generic form available. You may be able to shave a bit off by buying in bulk, or if you have the chance, get it in Cambodia where it is slighlty less expensive, but any way you slice it, it's an expensive drug and will remain so until the patent expires.

Ditto the ATORVASTATIN but there are drugs in the same general family (statin) that are available in generic, i.e. simvastatin which is available under local brand names Bestatin, Eucor, Torio, Vascor and Lochal among others.

I've been taking 10mg Lipitor since Nov last year. I purchased from Boots 100 tablets at 5,500 baht. I need some more last week, and got them from Samitivej Hospital at 1,539 baht for 30 tablets. I think this was one of those few cases where the hospital dispensary charged (slightly) less than an outside pharmacy.

Many thanks for all your helpful suggestions.

I shall forward them to my friend.

Will report back with his findings.

Frm-Bkk

If you are in the Silom area go to Rama IV in between Silom road and Surawong road (opp Chulalongkon Hospital). There about 3 drug stores along that stretch and from my experience the one closest to the pedestrian bridge close to Surawong Road is the cheapest. I buy Crestor there and it is definitely a lot cheaper than Boots etc.

Sorry Mac that is V E R Y expensive

Bestatin 20 mg costs me 32 baht for 30 tablets, I still have a new box with the price on...

There are lots of 'local pharmacy' always look for the ones that have the big bottles, you will find that even boxes of 14 or 30 tablets are much cheaper....... Don't forget all pharmacist speak English....... If you do not know the Thai version than take your empty pack and if the pharmacist is not sure he/she will look it up.

If it is something you use every day then think about buying a big bottle 500 or a 1,000 tablets, or the pharmacist will count out 100 for you, cost a fraction of the price of blister packs..

Bestatin 20 mg costs me 32 baht for 30 tablets, I still have a new box with the price on...

There are lots of 'local pharmacy' always look for the ones that have the big bottles, you will find that even boxes of 14 or 30 tablets are much cheaper....... Don't forget all pharmacist speak English....... If you do not know the Thai version than take your empty pack and if the pharmacist is not sure he/she will look it up.

If it is something you use every day then think about buying a big bottle 500 or a 1,000 tablets, or the pharmacist will count out 100 for you, cost a fraction of the price of blister packs..

Ignis

Hmmmm, how about scanning that box, including the price tag, and posting it here. I'll download and take to the "Lao" pharmacy we go to at the Rangsit market and see what they have to say.

Same stuff as the attached?

Mac

post-32650-1239421371_thumb.jpg

FRM I am presuming you are a man.

If you are a woman be advised that although women make up a quarter of the statin taking population, meta-studies show no change in mortality for women taking statins.

John

Hi John,

Thank you for your concern. However, the drugs are not for me but for my Male friend of mine.

Frm-Bkk[/font]

I had a couple of angioplasties back in 2006 and 2 stents put in at the same time.

I have been on daily medicines since and this is the price I paid in December last year.

daily per 100 Generic per 100

Co-Diovan 80/12.5 THB 11 THB 1,800

Dilatrend 25 THB 27 THB 2,700 Caraten 25 ? THB 1,300

Bestatin 20 THB 3 THB 300 zimmex THB 300

Orafin 5mg THB 4 THB 460 maforan THB 350

ultracarbon charcoal delta carbon THB 350

Mydocalm THB 3 THB 300 biocalm THB 150

Centrum Silver THB 6.5 THB 655

Viartril S THB 8.5 THB 845 glusafex THB 350

Short_pill_list.xls

Edited by billd766

However, the drugs are not for me but for a Male friend of mine.

Frm-Bkk

Oh yeah?

Tell it to the judge

And there was I, thinking that if I take these drugs long enough, I'd grow breasts!!?? OMG the secret is out!! :D

Too much listening to "Woman's hour"! :o .

Frm-Bkk

Edited by FRM-BKK

Can you tell me which Pharmacy and where..maybe I can take my 'box' there and see if it looks the same..would save me quite some money

thanks

The Pharmacy I used to use was on Krung Kasem Rd, so for me I would drive over Rama 8 Bridge, turn left at T/L to next T/L turn left again then is is some way down on the left opposite where the buses stop before the end of the road. so it is the road with the green roof United Nations on about 1km further on same side.....

Then I found another place closer to where I live...... Bang Yai, turn in to the Town by the Police booth, drive straight on the left you will see a large Pet Food shop it is oppisite this.. Bestatin 20 mg costs me 40 baht here see scan

Now last month have found a even cheaper place, Bang Bua Thong drive straight through 1/2 km before you join the main Bang Yai Rd on Bang Kruan-Sainoi Rd is the Pharmacy on the right, it has a big RED cross outside and is next door to Tesco Express, oppisite is a GREEN cross Drs Sergery... here Bestatin 20 mg costs me 32 baht, 500 tub of Metformin 500mg cost me 199 baht

I remember about 4 years ago going into a Pharmacy near Immigration same side which I remember was cheap and sold in or out of big bottles

Hello,

and

Frm-Bkk.

I buy Lipitor at Boots in Pattaya. 10 tablet, 20 mg @ B 690.

If I go into any other pharmacy and they want more, I tell them Boots is selling at B 690 and they have all dropped the price to B690.

Lipitor goes off patent soon, so it should be cheaper and generics will be available.