Mae Sai - Just Checking

mnbcm

I'm on a Non-Imm Multi Entry 'O' visa based on my wife and I'm getting a 3 month renewal this weekend up at Mae Sai. All I have to do is get a stamp on Thai side, walk over to Burma side, get in/out stamps, and come back right? Where exactly are the offices in relation to the bridge? I used to go to Ranong when I lived down south and it's a horrible process finding the office and finding a boat to cross the bay. I'm looking forward to simply walking over a bridge and back. I hate border runs! Also, what is my purpose in being in Thailand on a non-imm "O"? What do you guys write when you're filling out the entry card? "Hanging out with my wife?" :)

Edited by mnbcm

I'm on a Non-Imm Multi Entry 'O' visa based on my wife and I'm getting a 3 month renewal this weekend up at Mae Sai. All I have to do is get a stamp on Thai side, walk over to Burma side, get in/out stamps, and come back right? Where exactly are the offices in relation to the bridge? I used to go to Ranong when I lived down south and it's a horrible process finding the office and finding a boat to cross the bay. I'm looking forward to simply walking over a bridge and back. I hate border runs! Also, what is my purpose in being in Thailand on a non-imm "O"? What do you guys write when you're filling out the entry card? "Hanging out with my wife?" :)

You don't need to do a border run. There is a simple form to fill out listing your residence address. No cost, no hassle. No need to leave the country.

You don't need to do a border run. There is a simple form to fill out listing your residence address. No cost, no hassle. No need to leave the country.

Really? I thought I had to wait till the first year was up and I had another year extension. I'll do some forum searches.

For anyone else wondering. The border crossing at Mae Sai is a piece of cake. Just go right up to the bridge to get your stamp, cross over, get your stamps at the other end of the bridge, and come right back.

Really? I thought I had to wait till the first year was up and I had another year extension. I'll do some forum searches.

For anyone else wondering. The border crossing at Mae Sai is a piece of cake. Just go right up to the bridge to get your stamp, cross over, get your stamps at the other end of the bridge, and come right back.

I did not know you were within your first year of the non-immigrant visa. During my first year I left the country several times to go back home to the states. I was not aware of a necessity to leave - just so happened that I did - but within the first year I was in Thailand beyond 3 months from the time last entered, and I completed the residence information form at the immigration office that is local to where I live, which satisfied the requirement to report. I was not required to leave and re-enter.

I feel it should be mentioned that they keep your passport at the guardhouse while you're on the Burmese side...

I wish I had been forewarned, I was surprised and suspicious the first time...

I feel it should be mentioned that they keep your passport at the guardhouse while you're on the Burmese side...

I wish I had been forewarned, I was surprised and suspicious the first time...

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Warfie,

May I mention that they keep your passport only if you intend to visit the small armpit of shopping bizarre called Tachilek. If you tell them clearly you do not want to go into Tachilek and are going right back to Thailand, your passport is given back to you and you can exit back to Thailand pronto.

If you want to have mobs of skanky Bangladeshi cigarette salespeople getting right in your face, to buy schlock imitation jade, or dvd's that don't work, sample medicinal whiskey from a tin can where a tiger's leg is sitting covered by horseflies, etc., however, do go into Tachilek :)

~o:37;