Mini Netbooks

nadavbkk

I have two Asus Eepc's 701 and a 1000H. Bought the 701 last May 9000 baht Panthip at that time in the Uk that model had just arrived and priced at £260. !000H bought in the UK £239 at Pc World was a display unit nothing wrong with it no damage or scratches. Same model in Panthip was at the time was 19000 baht with the exchange rate it was expensive.

I like the Asus products but the Samsung netbook is good but battery life is poor compared with Asus models.

but its your money you make your choice to what is good for you.

The first one I bought was the original ASUS eeePC 701. After a year of squinting trying to see everything on the 7" screen and trying to fit programs into the 4Gb drive, I have decided to replace it with one with a bigger screen and HD.

I am now using the ASUS eeePC HE which is just a wonderful piece of work. It has a 160 Gb HD, 2 Gb RAM, 10" screen, improved keyboard, Atom 280 (1.66), and a sticker that boasts of 9.5 hours of life from the 6-cell battery (although in real life it allows me to work for a little less than 7 hours on a full charge). The build quality is excellent. It doesn't look nor feel cheap.

On the downside, it's a fingerprint magnet but it comes with a free wiping cloth! Another is the bag that comes with it. It's loose and the eeePC is moving around while in it.

[edit]

B16,000 @ Panthip Plaza.

I initially wanted the MSI Wind U100 but I had a terrible time finding a store that sells it. The speaker on the eeePC sounds much better than that on the MSI.

Edited by sensei

Bought my Acer Aspire One from Pantip last year. Was just at $300US with the exchange rate at the time.

I love it. Works great; running Windows 7 on it.

Hows it handling that ??

I bought the GF an aspire one with legit XP.. Didnt dare try vista and was going to put netbook remix on for myself..

But it it can run W7 on that little processor and 1.5mb ram and be acceptable win would probably suit her better.

I bought an MSI Wind U100 for AU$595 before the trip to Thailand a couple of months ago. Good out-n-about machine with bluetooth that works well with my motorolla stereo headset.

Might open it up and upgrade the memory to two GB after the warrantee expires.

Edited by agent69

Bought my Acer Aspire One from Pantip last year. Was just at $300US with the exchange rate at the time.

I love it. Works great; running Windows 7 on it.

Hows it handling that ??

I bought the GF an aspire one with legit XP.. Didnt dare try vista and was going to put netbook remix on for myself..

But it it can run W7 on that little processor and 1.5mb ram and be acceptable win would probably suit her better.

Runs like a champ after a few tweaks (my AAO has the 8GB SSD and 1.5GB ram). I've been running build 7048, but just updated to the RC (build 7100). Everything is great on it.

So what are the latest price for the ACER Aspire one D150 . . @ Pantip Plaza ? . . . is it 14900 includ VAT ? . . any one knows if they accept to remove the XP license for a lower price ? . . . .

I have the MSI Wind U100 with 2GB Ram. Installed Windows 7 RC a day or two after it was available and runs very nicely. All devices, Lan/WiFI/Bluetooth/Camera/etc. fully operational with no "tweaking" needed. The real test was trying to get my programing environment plus libraries plus active controls installed and working, Vista was a no go for that. Windows 7, no issues with the installations or operation including specialized hardware drivers.

Even got my electrical/electronic engineering design software installed and runs fine and fast enough considering the complexity of those applications. Plays 720 videos with no problems also, haven't tried 1080 yet.

I've had an ASUS eee 901 for a little under a year and I'm still very happy with it. Even with the newer models from other manufacturers I still don't think I would change it. It only has a 20gig solid state hard drive but I find thats more than enough. I run Linux Ubuntu on it and its great. I'm not sure what the price is now but I paid 13,600Baht. As someone else said there is a 1000HE model now with a good sized HD and a huge battery life.

Hi,

Just bought an ASUS 1000HE from tohome.com (list 14, 780 baht). Was supposed to come with Win XP Home Edition, but had no O/S installed. They refunded me 1000 baht. Effective cost: 13,780 baht.

Upgraded the netbook to 2GB RAM and a WD3200BEKT, Western Digital 320GB, 7200 rpm drive (2800 baht). Old 160GB drive is in a USB case.

Installed Windows 7, build 7100.

Runs like a screaming lizard. :)

Gary

Bought my Acer Aspire One D150b (?) for THB14,650 in Feb 2009 (with my Citibank Credit card 0%, 10 months installments)

Its a nice machine, working fine with 160GB hard disk, 1 GB RAM, N270 processor (1.5GHz). It has everything i wanted:

Battery: Lasts more than 6 hours

Storage: More than I ever need

Processing capability: wonderful, I am dam_n sure that I can install windows 7 on it easily (now I am using 7126 on my desktop, along with windows xp and vista ultimate)

O/S: Licensed Windows XP Home

I think prices have gone down a bit, but anyway, that time I sold my USD for around 35.2/$1 so it is pretty much ok for me

• 1 year later...

My COmpaq notebook died on me last friday. I was told it was not worth the cost of repair and I should replace it. I was gutting but it got me looking at net books. For my needs I think the increased portability has sold me. And the long battery life. I confess, on getting a second opinion on my note book I had it fixed today for 300bht! But I've a had a few run ins with it now. (3 years old) and I think its not geared up for the amount of portablity I require.

So, I am looking at the Samsung, the Asus and the HP (maaaaaybeeeee...)

I was told the Asus is TOUGH and the Aspire Acer is full of the latest gimmicks but nobody has told me squat about the Samsung. (N150 - N148)

I'll probably get an external drive as a back up measure so it can replace my note book next time it dies. (hard drive is "shaky" at best).

So welcome your latest thoughts on what netbook to buy for under 12k.

I had an Aspire One, lasted 1.5 year, had it repaired in Singapore (150S$), lasted 3 month and the mother board broke down again. Tore the 160 GB HD out and uses that as external HD.

Bought an Ansus Eee 10" with 225 GB HD in Singapore for 500S$ Win7 starter installed some 2 month ago, loves it. I NEVER buy Acer again.

Now the Aspire One is resting forever in my office in the house and hopefully temping burglars (if they come one day) without HD and a fuc_ked motherboard, so if they steal it I can claim 18K bath from the insurance (dreaming he-he).

I have just purchased a Samsung N220, fantastic little machine, its running win7 which seemed a tad laggy with only 1gb of installed ram, I pulled the 1gb and slotted in a 2gb stick I had lying around and now its performs well.

Cost me 320£ (15800tbh) but considering it comes with bluetooth, 250gb HDD and a matte screen (which makes using it in brighter outdoor conditions a breeze) I thought it was good value for money.

Edited by Spoonman

Well, thanks folks. In the end I plumped for a Lenovo with a good sized keyboard and a solid helping of XP Home. Its not the latest or greatest but it is supposed to be rubust and reliable. I'm liking it so far but can feel its abit slower that than the lap top of course but I guess I will get used to it.

I bought a Samsung NC10 based on reviews having an especially good keyboard. I now use it all day instead of the PC the only thing it pretty hopeless at is encoding movies, otherwise it does the job.

Just put full Windows 7 Ultimate on it and it all works including the Aero pre view feature that I read before would not work.

The greatest joy is to be able to put it in an ordinary size shoulder bag and take it around it is so different from a normal laptop in this logistic. *****