To Non-imm B Or Not

Hi there,

Am planning on taking an 8th month sabbatical in Thailand. I anticipate I'll be visiting neighbouring countries frequently enough that visa runs won't be an issue. Though it's possible for me to get an official letter from my company requesting a Non-Imm B visa.

My question is...is there any downside to getting a Non-Imm B visa? Could I be asked to justify what my business in Thailand is, or if I decided to stay long term, could it impact future visits or stays? Is it safer just to come on a tourist visa?

Thanks in advance..

If you get a multiple-entry Class B visa, there is no downside - you will simply receive a 90 day entry permit every time to enter Thailand.

If you enter Thailand on such a visa, there is no requirement that you actually pursue employment. You simply cannot stay longer than 90 days at a time, without securing employment.

If you get only a single-entry Class B visa, then it is good for only one entry - which will be for 90 days. If you subsequently depart Thailand, you will lose This visa status - unless you obtain a re-entry permit before leaving Thailand.

Good luck!

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

Bangkok

[email protected]

www.thaistartup.com

Am planning on taking an 8th month sabbatical in Thailand. I anticipate I'll be visiting neighbouring countries frequently enough that visa runs won't be an issue. Though it's possible for me to get an official letter from my company requesting a Non-Imm B visa.

From what you describe as your potential travel plans, you would really need a multi-entry non-immigrant visa to make getting a non-immigrant visa worth your while. The only real benefit to having one that I can see for the scenario you describe is that with the non-immigrant visa, you would not have to exit the country every thirty days as you would with the "normal" entry stamp. The re-entry permit that Indo-Siam mentions has become pricey, especially for the multiple variety which you would probably want if you plan to border hop frequently. Seems like it would make more sense to apply for the multiple-entry visa initially and not have to hassle with re-entry permits.