Uk Marriage = Thai Marriage Visa?

Quick question,

I married my Thai wife in the UK 6 years ago. We've lived in Thailand now for about 5 years.

Is it possible to gain a Thai marriage visa based on a translation of the UK marriage licence (assuming all the other requirements are met too)?

Was wondering if anyone had any similar experiences. Obviously we could go through the process of getting married here, but would be simpler if we could just use the UK licence.

As you are already married, you canot get married again in Thailand. When married in the Uk the Thai government will recognise this. You can get an extension of stay based on your marriage. You will need to have the mariage certificate certified by your embassy and the Thai foreign ministry. It is advisable to have the marriage registered at the amphur.

(some countries require that you have the license certified at your own foreign ministry and then have it certified by the Thai embassy)

What kind of visa are you now on?

If you are legally married in the UK you are already married - you can not get married here. Yes your marriage certificate - in plain English - is fine for obtaining non immigrant O visas. If you want to extend your stay then believe you will need to translate it, get it registered at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and have it entered into the records of a District Office. Then you can visit Immigration with wife and other required paperwork to apply for one year extension of stay.

You have to have your marriage certificare translated and the translation certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Then go to the Amphoe (district office) and register the marriage. When that is done they will enter the marriage in your wifes house book and ID card.

The marriage has to be in your wifes house book or Immigration will not accept your marriage certificate.

After the above you can use the the orignanl an translated copy of the marriage certificate to get an extension of stay based upon marriage.

You have to have your marriage certificare translated and the translation certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Then go to the Amphoe (district office) and register the marriage. When that is done they will enter the marriage in your wifes house book and ID card.

The marriage has to be in your wifes house book or Immigration will not accept your marriage certificate.

After the above you can use the the orignanl an translated copy of the marriage certificate to get an extension of stay based upon marriage.

Just and added question here, I am (British) married to a Thai, legally in Bangkok.

Should my marriage also have been recorderd in my wife's blue book? Or is that just to change the wif'e name to mine?

I/we do not own a house in Thailand.

Just and added question here, I am (British) married to a Thai, legally in Bangkok.

Should my marriage also have been recorderd in my wife's blue book? Or is that just to change the wif'e name to mine?

I/we do not own a house in Thailand.

It has to be entered in the house book that your wife is listed in. That is also when she will be given a choice of taking your name or not because they will also change her ID card. This can only to be done at the Amphoe where she is registered.

Whether she takes your name or not it makes no difference in her legal rights here if that is of concern to you.

I think that answers the question thanks, I had no concerns other than my name is not in the book as her husband.

She has changed her name and obtained a new ID card and passport.

Amazingly fast reply though, ubonjoe, many thanks.

I think that answers the question thanks, I had no concerns other than my name is not in the book as her husband.

She has changed her name and obtained a new ID card and passport.

Amazingly fast reply though, ubonjoe, many thanks.

If she has changed her name and ID card the marriage it is also in the housebook. Your name is not included in the change. It changes her marritial status and name only.

Hi guys,

Thanks very much for the informative replies. I'm on a Non B at the moment but looking to change. I've got a copy of the certificate translated already and my wife has already changed her surname to mine on her ID card, so everything should be ok.

Thanks a lot.