Suzuki Entered The Thai Market

Currently it is not clear exactly which models would be in the off stock offering, but as I understand it, it would be possible to order any Suzuki model.

Likely, but not confirmed, the line-up would be DRZ400SM, Suzuki Gladius 650, Suzuki GSX-R600 (or R1000, or both) and the Hayabusa. Probably also a few Cruisers, but with free drinks and lots of shiny two-wheel devils, I had not much interest in Cruisers....

For the styling of the Suzuki Gladius and the Kawasaki ER6N, when looked from the side you hardly see the difference....

Currently it is not clear exactly which models would be in the off stock offering, but as I understand it, it would be possible to order any Suzuki model.

Likely, but not confirmed, the line-up would be DRZ400SM, Suzuki Gladius 650, Suzuki GSX-R600 (or R1000, or both) and the Hayabusa. Probably also a few Cruisers, but with free drinks and lots of shiny two-wheel devils, I had not much interest in Cruisers....

For the styling of the Suzuki Gladius and the Kawasaki ER6N, when looked from the side you hardly see the difference....

Richard,

You must be blind in one eye and have trouble seeing out of the other. Front on, rear on, side on, the Suzuki 650 is one very UGLY machine and whilst the er6n is no glamour, it certainly looks like a supermodel parked next to the zukie

time for you to head into bkk for an eye check up :)

He Neverdie,

You probably right, but lucky there are more people and all have different ideas what is good looking. Still I would call them very comparable, twins maybe - they both share technology from the same source. And with this in mind we need to recognize that the Suzuki Gladius 650 is the more powerful one if compared to the Kawasaki ER6N.

Now only if they did selected another name, that Gladius doesn't sound that well when pronounced by a Thai, even I have a hard time to pronounce it with the reflection of a powerful all-rounder...

Edited by Richard-BKK

He Neverdie,

You probably right, but lucky there are more people and all have different ideas what is good looking. Still I would call them very comparable, twins maybe - they both share technology from the same source. And with this in mind we need to recognize that the Suzuki Gladius 650 is the more powerful one if compared to the Kawasaki ER6N.

Now only if they did selected another name, that Gladius doesn't sound that well when pronounced by a Thai, even I have a hard time to pronounce it with the reflection of a powerful all-rounder...

So true Richard,

Anyway power isnt everything....why it was only the other day when I went up the inside of some dude riding his cbr400 down one of the winding roads down here........I noticed he tucked in behind me for a while and then just slowly disappeared in my mirrors. It seems theres more than power required when riding thru corners. Raider 150 1 Honda Cbr 400 Nil. :)

Ohh I wish I had a big bike but when I get one it certainly wont be a glaidiator or whatever they are calling the retarding looking thing :D

Hey Richard,

Did you write that article? It certainly looks like your unique spell check free writing style :)

If so you may want to revise that sentence where you say, "The final similarly is that both of these bikes are affordable priced.".

The Kawasaki ER6n retails for 225,000 Baht in Thailand while Suzuki announced at the Bangkok Motor Show that the Gladius will sell for 450,000 Thai Baht...

How Suzuki expects to sell any Gladius in Thailand is a mystery to me...

Wonder how they come up with their prices...

Hayabusa 1340 800.000 Baht.

GSX-R 750 700.000 Baht.

Bandit SA 1250 670.000 Baht. ( Bikini Fairing )

Bandit 1250 650.000 Baht. ( Naked Bike )

SV 650 SA 480.000 Baht. ( Bikini Fairing )

Gladius 650 450.000 Baht. ( Naked Bike )

Burgman 650 550.000 Baht ( Huge Scooter )

Intruder M800 500.000 Baht. ( Cruiser )

Suzuki is asking 700,000 Baht for the GSX-R 750 while Kawasaki is importing the Ninja ZX10R for 650,000 Baht... Strange, no?

Not sure how the Gladius performs, but man what a hideous bike!

suzuki_gladius_2009_01.jpg

Fugly exhaust, gay colors, and CHROME MIRRORS?!?!

loco.gif

What are they thinking?!

Good luck with that one Suzuki!

Hope they'll re-think their pricing and import the GSXR's at prices that are competitive with the Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R.

Ride On!

Tony

Hey Richard,

Did you write that article? It certainly looks like your unique spell check free writing style :)

If so you may want to revise that sentence where you say, "The final similarly is that both of these bikes are affordable priced.".

The Kawasaki ER6n retails for 225,000 Baht in Thailand while Suzuki announced at the Bangkok Motor Show that the Gladius will sell for 450,000 Thai Baht...

GSX-R 750 700.000 Baht.

Suzuki is asking 700,000 Baht for the GSX-R 750 while Kawasaki is importing the Ninja ZX10R for 650,000 Baht... Strange, no?

loco.gif

What are they thinking?!

Hope they'll re-think their pricing and import the GSXR's at prices that are competitive with the Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R.

Ride On!

Tony

Thanks Tony

The article was strange in several ways.

It didnt mention Yamaha as THE MAJOR supplyer of imported japs. Gosh they have crowded this country with 500 TMax last 9 months. :D at 555.000 baht

It didnt mention Baan Suzuki Phuket, who have been selling Intruder and Bandit for some years

Hey Richard,

GSX-R 750 700.000 Baht.

loco.gif

What are they thinking?!

Ride On!

Tony

Thanks Tony

It didnt mention Yamaha as THE MAJOR supplyer of imported japs. Gosh they have crowded this country with 500 TMax last 9 months. :D at 555.000 baht

It didnt mention Baan Suzuki Phuket, who have been selling Intruder and Bandit for some years

Really ?? Official import bandits ?? What prices ?? Totally new one on me, not even sure I know where suzuki is on Phuket.

Lots of T-Max's on Phuket, but then different spending demographic down here than rural Thailand.

Hey Richard,

Did you write that article? It certainly looks like your unique spell check free writing style :D

GSX-R 750 700.000 Baht.

loco.gif

What are they thinking?!

Ride On!

Tony

Thanks Tony

Really ?? Official import bandits ?? What prices ?? Totally new one on me, not even sure I know where suzuki is on Phuket.

Lots of T-Max's on Phuket, but then different spending demographic down here than rural Thailand.

I guess rural LOS isnt that much into big bikes? :) Espesially not 500cc automatics at 555k baht :D:D must be like 30-50 of them here now. at least 30 rentals.

Several Suzuki dealers in Phuket, but as I understand Baan Suzuki dealers are owned by Suzuki LOS. Bandits and Intruders bloody expensive when I looked at them couple of years back, so I ended up with some grey bikes :D

In Phuket, 600 meters from DMV. Follow the large klong to town. Dont remember adress, but large building. havent seen any big bikes there for a while. Guess they gave up with those prices.

I read somewhere that the Gladius is targetted at chicks - and I read somewhere else that the designer got the styling inspiration from a model of an early model SV650 that he had on his desk.

Unfortunately, the model was plastic and had been sitting on top of the GM's heating unit for the winter before he got it... :)

I read somewhere that the Gladius is targetted at chicks - and I read somewhere else that the designer got the styling inspiration from a model of an early model SV650 that he had on his desk.

Unfortunately, the model was plastic and had been sitting on top of the GM's heating unit for the winter before he got it... :)

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, but where is this 'new' Suzuki dealer and can I get a Suzuki Raider at a dealer still before they're all gone? I'm in Chiang Mai.

Thanks,

Jeff

Suzuki Avenue, at the new Avenue mall, next to Ratchayothin Major Cineplex, Phanoyothin Road, just by the Elephant Building in Bangkok. They built a stage and did a big Japanese promotion meeting thingy when they opened it last week. Had three Hayabusa in the Suzuki Avenue. Doesn't look like a dealership, just a flashy sales outlet. Maybe they will have more models on display in the next few weeks?

Edited by MaiChai

The website http://www.thaisuzuki.co.th/ suggests that the GSXR750 will be released here rather than the 600. That would be a great bike for Thailand, a bit more suitable for touring than the 600.

I guess it just depends whether they follow Kawasaki's lead with the pricing or just put ridiculous price tags on like Yamaha does for the big bikes. If they're sensible then the 750 could well be my next bike.

Any 250 off/on road bike to compete with the klx250 do you know ?

The website http://www.thaisuzuki.co.th/ suggests that the GSXR750 will be released here rather than the 600. That would be a great bike for Thailand, a bit more suitable for touring than the 600.

I guess it just depends whether they follow Kawasaki's lead with the pricing or just put ridiculous price tags on like Yamaha does for the big bikes. If they're sensible then the 750 could well be my next bike.

Hey JonnyF!

The GSXR 750 is a sweet ride, but the price Suzuki quoted for it at the Bangkok Motor Show was a ridiculous 700,000 Baht! :)

In that price range I think the Kawasaki ZX10R is a much better value at 'only' 650,000 Baht.

I keep hoping they'll import the ZX6R- that's my wet dream bike :D

Happy Trails!

Tony

Sorry- no dirt bikes in the Suzuki line-up. They'd have a pretty hard time competing with the value-priced Thai-made KLX...

I keep hoping they'll import the ZX6R- that's my wet dream bike :)

Happy Trails!

Tony

That is a very very nice ride! And probably more suited for thai roads than the zx-10.. Unfortunately for you I don't think Kawasaki will ever import it. From what I understood when speaking to the staff is that they will not take it in due to the pricing. It will only differ about 20 000 baht from the zx-10r and that fact will make it difficult to sell according to them. I don't know If this argument will discourage the 600cc-fanatics from buying it, but 630 000 for a zx-6r seems a bit pricey (even for a swede)..

peace,

Johan

Hey JonnyF!

The GSXR 750 is a sweet ride, but the price Suzuki quoted for it at the Bangkok Motor Show was a ridiculous 700,000 Baht! :)

In that price range I think the Kawasaki ZX10R is a much better value at 'only' 650,000 Baht.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Yeah I saw the prices in the thread after I posted. Hopefully they'll revise the prices a bit. Most companies have misquoted bike prices at the show in the last couple of years and it's fairly obvious that they need to compete with Kawasaki.

Reviews of the gsxr750 are really positive. Comfortable and powerful - I like the sound of a bike between the supersport 600's and the insane litre bikes. The ZX10R/R1 is too much bike for me and the R6 has a reputation of being great on the track but harsh on the road. Not many other legal options other than the er6f which I've tried to like and may still buy, but it doesn't make me want to rush out and buy it like the gsxr does. BIG price difference though, different class of bike but still hard to justify an extra 450,000 baht.

Sorry- no dirt bikes in the Suzuki line-up. They'd have a pretty hard time competing with the value-priced Thai-made KLX...

shame, the wr250 at 150 ish would be a deal ! :)

Happy Trails!

Tony

That is a very very nice ride! And probably more suited for thai roads than the zx-10.. Unfortunately for you I don't think Kawasaki will ever import it. From what I understood when speaking to the staff is that they will not take it in due to the pricing. It will only differ about 20 000 baht from the zx-10r and that fact will make it difficult to sell according to them. I don't know If this argument will discourage the 600cc-fanatics from buying it, but 630 000 for a zx-6r seems a bit pricey (even for a swede)..

peace,

Johan

Hiya Dunder,

Well, not sure where the sales staff are getting that 630,000 Baht figure for the ZX6R. If they can import and sell the ZX10R for 650,000, then a realistic corresponding price for the ZX6R would be in the low to mid 500K Baht range.

When I pressed them on it they just told me to go order one at Red Baron! :D

I've seen 2008 R6's and CBR 600's at Red Baron for around 500,000 Baht. hel_l- they're selling a brand new Kawasaki Z1000 for 520,000 Baht, so really not sure why the friendly but often clueless sales staff at Kawa Rama 9 thinks the ZX6R would cost 630,000?! :)

080706-0000290.jpg

Anyway- the Thai big bike market is evolving quickly now and I'm sure we can expect a lot of exciting changes in the next couple of years. Suzuki has finally entered the market and Honda is still working on their "Big Wing" showroom in Bangkok though they've put the opening date on hold-

HondabigwingBKK.jpg

Ride On!

I would say a litre bike is better for Thai Roads.

I have had both. The ZX10R & ZX6R. The 600CC you got to wring the neck off it to get anywhere. Got zero lowdown torque. Filtering in traffic it the same size as the litre version. So no gain there.

The litre version got better punch at low end. Good for zipping into those spots that just opened up for you. Due to an extra 400cc, gives better manageable throttle control.

I have known many to have upgraded from a 600 to 1000 for Thai roads. Myself included. Further more a 1050 is even better than a 1000. :)