A 3 Litre Box Of Red Wine

LuckyLucas

hello friends

where is the best value box of red table wine to be found

I've been told there's some dreadful stuff knocking about but I still on;y want to pay about 1-1200 baht.

are there any recommendations?

regards to all on here

LL

Best supermarket at the roundabout near dusit resort.1200 baht for 3 liter box should buy you one of the better wines.Table wine will be about half that price.

hello friends

I've been told there's some dreadful stuff knocking about but I still on;y want to pay about 1-1200 baht.

regards to all on here

LL

I've found the Stanleys Shiraz Cabernet 4L and Paddle Wheel 5L are the best out there . Both around 1300-1400 Baht. At Foodland or Villa.

Check out the 5 litre glass flaggons at Friendship Supermarket. Choose between a high quality red or white table wine. They represent outstanding value at 850 Baht.

True but they give you an outstanding headache if you drink more than 2-3 glasses

The best value wine and very drinkable is the 5 litre cask of Mont Clair. I only drink the red and it is a Cab Sauvignon/Shiraz blend from South Africa. It retails for 950 baht, so for 5 litres it is the best value around.

Tried Franzia, Italian number by Pasqua and several others and they don't come near the Mont Clair.

hello friends

regards to all on here

LL

I've found the Stanleys Shiraz Cabernet 4L and Paddle Wheel 5L are the best out there . Both around 1300-1400 Baht. At Foodland or Villa.

seconded~!

I am not used to wine by the litre. For me, a standard bottle is three servings of wine (generous glass pours). So how many bottles does a 5 litre box contain by volume?
About 6.5 bottles :)

Thanks, so a 1000 baht box would serve about 20 of my generous wine glass pours, 50 baht a pop. Hey, that's cheap Changy levels! Maybe I can afford to drink "wine" here after all. How long does the wine stay drinkable in those boxes once opened?

Edited by Jingthing

I am not used to wine by the litre. For me, a standard bottle is three servings of wine (generous glass pours). So how many bottles does a 5 litre box contain by volume?

Thanks, so a 1000 baht box would serve about 20 of my generous wine glass pours, 50 baht a pop. Hey, that's cheap Changy levels! Maybe I can afford to drink "wine" here after all. How long does the wine stay drinkable in those boxes once opened?

In Oz we call them wine casks only the outsitde is a box inside is a bladder made from aluminium

foil and has a tap on the bottom if kept in a moderate themperature it will last quiet a while since it is

airtight.

Forget the 6.5 litres :D its 20 glasses that you drink at a 750ml bottle. enjoy. :)

The problem I have with 5 liter bottles is they seem to go sour after a while (I use them as cooking wine). Will boxes hold up better?

If kept upright so no air can suck into the bag it should be good for up to 6 weeks.

If there are 20 x 250 ml to the 5 l cask and you - say drink 3 x 250 ml serves a day,

a cask will last a week!

The wine, moderately chilled will survive

that "long"... unless it shelf life is shortened

by your personal regimen.

I tried some of this Mount Claire stuff "semi dry" (sweet)

I thought it was not really wine from grapes.... had some odd taste

and it's heavy on the head, incurring a somber headache!

Check out the 5 litre glass flaggons at Friendship Supermarket. Choose between a high quality red or white table wine. They represent outstanding value at 850 Baht.

True but they give you an outstanding headache if you drink more than 2-3 glasses

If you have a single 200mg Ibufrofen tablet every 3 glasses this will reduce brain pressure because Ibuprofen is an NSAID.

Edited by syd barrett

This will turn into vinegar in less than 1 week :):D

It won't if you seal the top after pouring and keep it refrigerated. It will last for upto 14 days.

Edited by syd barrett

Cold red wine? Yuck. I thought these boxes were designed to block oxygen so that they would last much longer than an opened bottle (without using a sealing method) ...

Exactly!

While the wine "sucks" a vacuum, when released from it's container!

Moderately chilled NOT "cold"!

Red Wine should be consumed at "room temperature" that is back home 15-18°C

what is "room temperature" around here -with out a/c easy double that?

The reason that red wines are best enjoyed at slightly reduced temperatures is that alcohol will produce an unpleasant bite on the palate when served at normal room temperature.

Edited by Samuian

Cold red wine? Yuck. I thought these boxes were designed to block oxygen so that they would last much longer than an opened bottle (without using a sealing method) ...

cold red wine is excellent, especially the five litre box of Montclair red. This South African wine is by far the best value in Thailand, with an excellent taste. just put the box in your fridge, and you are good to go.

Barry

The best value wine and very drinkable is the 5 litre cask of Mont Clair. I only drink the red and it is a Cab Sauvignon/Shiraz blend from South Africa. It retails for 950 baht, so for 5 litres it is the best value around.

Tried Franzia, Italian number by Pasqua and several others and they don't come near the Mont Clair.

I have to second this one. The Mont Clair Red is the only reasonably priced gluggable wine that I have found in Thailand. Me and the Misses love this stuff, and it does indeed keep for several weeks with no loss inquality. The box is a great idea!

many thanks for the recommendations

I'm going to pick up a 5 litre cask of Mont Clair red this evening for starters...

where do they sell this? Friendship? Lotus? Topps?

obrigado :)

Tesco has the boxes, and Bottles. If you just want to try to see if you like it, buy a bottle for 285 Baht. big C also sells the bottles.

Barry

I've been drinking the 3 litre boxes of South African Pearly Cape Red from my local Thai supermarket for several years with no complaints. It costs around 790 Baht a box. I was in Tesco Lotus yesterday and saw the Mont Clair, around 280 Baht a bottle, so I bought one and I'll give that a try, thanks for the advice, at that price it's worth giving it a go. :)

I come from San Francisco and am used to weekends in the wine country and GOOD wine with most meals.

The cost of wines here is ridiculous. I know tax, too much. I have tried most of the wines mentioned in this thread

and so far only one is drinkable. That is the red Goiya (sp?) from wine connection. This quality of wine will be used mostly for

cooking and an occasional glass. It is not cheap. Best buy for a white I have tried was the Monkey Puzzle Chardonnay, around 300 baht, from Villa.

Of course they no longer have it and the 3 Chardonnay bottles they have said were the same or better, were crap.

Cold red wine is mostly for cold duck, wine spritzers, a nice Sangria, or wine so awful that it can not be enjoyed at proper cellar temperature. I envy those

capable of enjoying such stuff. I have trouble spending what is asked here abouts for a decent bottle of wine unless I have at least tasted it first.

Unfortunately, Thai laws have made the tastings that Wine connection used to do a thing of the past.

However, they are currently offering tastes of the red and the white Goiya for 90 baht.

What about taking the problem in our own hands and a few who know (or would like to know) good wine buying a few bottles to share and try together?

We might find a restaurant willing to forgo the corkage fees for getting a few more diners. If this works it would help us find enjoyable wines and provide a pleasant evening out.

Anyone?

kdf