Airconditioning?

Rob5060

I found that the best deals for things like air conditioners and water heaters was at Makro, on the superhighway. You need a membership like many bulk chains elsewhere, but that should be easy to sort out. Also a ton of other household stuff there.

cv

Just bought one at that place near the airport just down the road from central airport mall.(cant remember the name) They installed it for free and gave me a nice grill worth about 1500 baht. I have bought a few things from these guys and have never had any problems.They also come by to service every few months.

If you buy at Makro you then have to find someone to install it right?  For that reason I think I like buying from Siam TV / Electronic plaza.

They're not exactly hard to install. :D

Slightly sharper learning curve than a toaster. :o

cv

And service? Of course you'd do that yourself, too, right?  :o

Purchase a reliable brand and there will be a local warrantee outlet.

Shop with knowlage :D

cv

Good advice for Victoria Island, but here in the land of free installation and free home service for two years, it's much cheaper and more practical to follow Chanchao's advice, I'd say, and in my experience, too :D

Check the price difference for that "free" stuff.

and its Vancouver Island.

cv

I have many times, and I know from where I speak on this topic :o

Though Vancouver island is another beautiful place to speak from :D

Well there is a Victoria Island, but its in the high arctic and NOT a good place to speak from right now. :D

cheers

cv

Check the price difference for that "free" stuff.

and its Vancouver Island.

cv

I have many times, and I know from where I speak on this topic :o

Though Vancouver island is another beautiful place to speak from :D

Well there is a Victoria Island, but its in the high arctic and NOT a good place to speak from right now. :D

cheers

cv

Actually, I wouldn't mind a few minutes of Arctic weather about now :D

> They're not exactly hard to install. :D

Okay, for comparison: Last time I had the community 'chang' come over to change a light bulb.

"It's a good thing we don't have kids yet", my wife said, "or they'd be embarassed and disappointed in their father's abilities already at a very premature age."

But anyway, if I'm not changing my own light bulbs then I'm definitely not installing an airconditioner. :o

(Ok actually it was one of those older fittings with the 2 pins rather than the screw-type, and it was just a little hard to get it out so I let the chang do it. :D) He even changed the whole socket to be the more civilized screw type.. good job! :D (Or perhaps he was embarassed to just change a light bulb.. who knows.. these changs might take pride in their job too)

> They're not exactly hard to install. :D

(Ok actually it was one of those older fittings with the 2 pins rather than the screw-type, and it was just a little hard to get it out so I let the chang do it.

I had one of those bulbs break in my hand when I tried to unscrew it... Like you, I now get a local elephant to do it :o

I need to get airconditiong sorted for my house next week , any particular advice / recommndations, or is somewhere like Homepro ok?

Siam TV is OK the price is included installing and good aftersales and service

Glad to see you're not tooo worried about that miltary earthquake... :o

Ajarn

:D I am worried this man may buy an airco and no (more) service because the shop he bought it for that unbeliveble low price doesn't exist anymore and My experience with Siam TV is good

PS I don't see what it has to do with the earthquake warning but it's good to see you don't care at all ( are you in reality a teacher? than I'm worried ! )

Please don't attack me on my spelling mistakes I am human :D

• 2 months later...

What about those two big Toyota-Honda bike-appliance stores, Naikhom Panich on the road near Central Airport, and the similar Panich just north from the rajabat? They deliver and install what they sell. I got an LG refrigerator there, and then they installed a hot water heater in the wall (plus electric & plumbing) for 200 or 250 baht.

I thought about buying a Mitsubishi Electric 36,000-btu unit for my 55 square meters. But including installation, it probably runs over 40,000 baht if I don't have to upgrade the electric service entrance. Not worth it when I'm renting.

PeaceBlondie as identified the correct names of the Panich brothers huge appliance and Toyota stores near the Airport and on Mae Rim road.

They are now both airconditioned and remodeled.

I use the one closest to my home for most major appliances, as they have repair technicians that arrive the next day and repair any problems.

They installed my aircons, Mitsubishi ,and did all the calculations necessary to identify the corrrect size. No problems whatsoever and they did come out every three months in the first year to clean them.

My water pump has been problematical and they have come out many times for it, replacing the head gasket and the pressure regulator. I am surprised because it too is a Mitsubishi. They installed my water tank as well.

You do need to watch them and make sure they put your compressor in the least obvious place. UBC installers likewise, otherwise they will put the antenna, or the copressor, right in front in full view as if it were a thing of beauty to show off to your neighbors.

Since you need a concrete pad for the compressor, if it is a ground level installation, a little planning is called for. Aircon is probably the most vital appliance relied on by most falang, I did not skimp on quality or installation, and have been grateful ever since.

I also bought my Toyota from them and they are always ready to come to my aid if I have trouble. Last time they came out when the battery went dead. I am located about 7 kilometers from their location, which helps.

They keep growing in size and now have enumberable small shops on their premises for cell phones, etc.

What about those two big Toyota-Honda bike-appliance stores, Naikhom Panich on the road near Central Airport, and the similar Panich just north from the rajabat?  They deliver and install what they sell.  I got an LG refrigerator there, and then they installed a hot water heater in the wall (plus electric & plumbing) for 200 or 250 baht.

I thought about buying a Mitsubishi Electric 36,000-btu unit for my 55 square meters.  But including installation, it probably runs over 40,000 baht if I don't have to upgrade the electric service entrance.  Not worth it when I'm renting.

The name of this place is actually Niyom Panich.

I can recommend them as well - just bought a Mitsubishi aircon from them, including the price of the installation (way out in San Sai - no problem).

Thanks - I was too lazy to look at all my Honda check-up receipts. I also bought my Honda CBR150R at Niyom Panich, 28,900 kilometers and 22 months ago. Nothing but good service from them.

Are there two brands - Mitsubishi and Mitsubishi ELECTRIC? And isn't the 'electric' brand better quality and worth the extra price?