How To Transfer To Pattaya's License Plate?

Cobrabiker

Hi LivinLOS, what is restamping of engine? Do you mean filing off the original engine number, and punch a new serial number as on the book? Then what should be the proper way? Good to know more before it is too late.

Ys thats the easy and cheap way and what most Thais would do IMO.

The proper way it to legally have it changed in the land transport office.. But to do this they will want proof of the taxes paid at the time of import on the engine.. This is why engines that come 'with invoice' are worth more than just an engine. If the engine came from RB it should have a history.

One question I have asked but never got an answer on is "if an engine is in a bike and its book, its then taxes paid, but if you move the engine from one bike to another, how do you have this change registered as you have no 'invoice' on the engine" mildly complex questions like this dont seem to get answers from my DMV office.

The engine was changed more than a year ago, I doubt there is any legal document. Worst come to worst, is it ok to do a cheap way, which is file off the new number and punch old number as per book, and get some bike shop to do it and change it to my name.

Well I would say leave it to the seller to solve the sellers problems.. Its getting more complex by the minute and this is exactly the murky world of bike bike registrations and why Kwaker are changing the game.

Dont forget the page 18 excise tax information also.. Another huge bear trap for old big bikes.

I got a bike here in Pattaya from Cambodia with papers also. Do anybody know what I should do to get it on Thai/Pattaya, licence plates?

It might sound a bit strange to have a bike from Cambodia and the story even more.. My good freind bought it for 300$ in Cambodia and drove 800Km To visit me in Pattaya, before he went home on a flight from Bangkok, leaving his bike behind.

Hope you can help

I got a bike here in Pattaya from Cambodia with papers also. Do anybody know what I should do to get it on Thai/Pattaya, licence plates?

It might sound a bit strange to have a bike from Cambodia and the story even more.. My good freind bought it for 300$ in Cambodia and drove 800Km To visit me in Pattaya, before he went home on a flight from Bangkok, leaving his bike behind.

Hope you can help

What bike (engine size ??) and do you have the temp import papers.. Its going to be messy as its in his name (and his passport records him temp importing I would assume).

You realize this is going to be 100 - 150k exercise ?? Thats if its even possible.

What bike (engine size ??) and do you have the temp import papers.. Its going to be messy as its in his name (and his passport records him temp importing I would assume).

You realize this is going to be 100 - 150k exercise ?? Thats if its even possible.

It is and very old retro bike with an engine size around 80. The problem is that there is no import papers, he got his passport stamped and drove over the border. Why would you think it would be that expensive?

It is and very old retro bike with an engine size around 80. The problem is that there is no import papers, he got his passport stamped and drove over the border. Why would you think it would be that expensive?

The import license, the import duty, the 30k baht emmisions test, the registration fees and the tea money.

This isnt just a couple hundred buck excercise, its a multi month process and will run 10's of 1000s even on a small bike. If its very old I doubt it will pass any emissions and hence need more bribes.

In short the simple answer is forget it.

As to him 'just crossing the border' without paperwork, I was lead to believe that wasnt possible on the Cambo borders inbound (I think it is at the Malay one personally) and they made everyone do a temporary import, if he does a temp import and then doesnt export it when he said he would, he has potential for big trouble later when pulled. I am told they REALLY dont like people doing this as per David from GT-R.

For the record the cost is about 60 - 80k for a 400 to legalize it AFTER the import taxes (whole or in parts) are paid !! Thats the emissions testing and reg fees. This rises rapidly to >100k on a 1000cc..

Not sure but I am told if the bike is broken into parts outside Thailand and imported as parts the import duty is 'only' 30%.. This all has to be proven and in order to start the registration legally.

If anyone has any shortcuts I am all ears.. Winter bike pricing on ebay is killing me..

For the record the cost is about 60 - 80k for a 400 to legalize it AFTER the import taxes (whole or in parts) are paid !! Thats the emissions testing and reg fees. This rises rapidly to >100k on a 1000cc..

Not sure but I am told if the bike is broken into parts outside Thailand and imported as parts the import duty is 'only' 30%.. This all has to be proven and in order to start the registration legally.

If anyone has any shortcuts I am all ears.. Winter bike pricing on ebay is killing me..

Even if you get away with only 30% (rather than 80%) importduty, you still need to pay 30% excice tax on bikes custom value, freight and importduty. Then 7 % vat on all of it. Then 80-100 k to register.

Thanks LivinLos, no problem with that. What about pizza buffet on top of that? I am thinking of buying a hayabusa instead of a blackbird, hayabusa has more customizable parts to play with, do you know of any good engine used busa for sale? 2001 to 2002 ok for me. The reason why I want 2001 and up is because the 99 and 00 model have aluminum subframe which will break if carry pillion.

03 and registered.. Thats too high ? What budget are you looking at for this extremely rare (for here) machine ??

I better not send you the link for the other one for 455k without a book (think add another 120 ish in a 1300 IIRC)..

I dont think your going to have too much in the way of selection for a busa.. Only ever seen one here.

Well, comparing the same, his has not much mod and the color is tarnished. Have tried one in BKK 2002 model, going for 350k, the bike is ok but front headlight glass was scratched badly, 2 more coming next week from a shop in BKK, will go and check it out.