Best Bang For Your Buck Hothatch/sports Car

crs

But anyway, the now increasing sozialism Goverment in the US will kill all this toys. In a few years we get pushed worldwide to drive only electric "Obamobiles". What a nice world we going into.

Well, since America is now dependant on imported oil, I think its better for most people that a normal car uses a 0,7 liter per 10km or less, than the typical 3 liter per 10km for old thirsty V8's. Still the US has very cheap gasoline prices compared to europes 65 baht per liter or so..

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But anyway, the now increasing sozialism Goverment in the US will kill all this toys. In a few years we get pushed worldwide to drive only electric "Obamobiles". What a nice world we going into.

Well, since America is now dependant on imported oil, I think its better for most people that a normal car uses a 0,7 liter per 10km or less, than the typical 3 liter per 10km for old thirsty V8's. Still the US has very cheap gasoline prices compared to europes 65 baht per liter or so..

Well, in this case we could talk about sozialism total, like in eastern europe 20 years ago, so everyone have to living in a very small house, instead of a villa, because small houses using not much heating oil than large villas, using 9 inches TVs, instead ot 29 ones, to save electric, i mean there we could go on and on and i think this is wrong. We should have the freedom to choice what we want. Not everyone want to drive a small Yaris or Jazz. Back in Europe i stay in a 1 room apartement instead af a big one, drove a V8 all my life, spend money on gasoline instead heating oil for a large house or instead of rising a family. So i saved engergy as well, maybe more than average peaple, because i DON"T have any kids, so therefore my kids can't pollute the earth later, because they don't exist (so far as i know). My life will not go forever and therefore i drive what i want, not what the goverment tell me to do.

Not a "hot hatch" so to speak, but I'm in the process of building a BMW E30 track car with a Toyota V8 and manual box.

275 BHP in a 1000 kg car and its REAR WHEEL DRIVE, no torque steer on this baby;)

looks like its gonna be fun time when shes finished

Not a "hot hatch" so to speak, but I'm in the process of building a BMW E30 track car with a Toyota V8 and manual box.

275 BHP in a 1000 kg car and its REAR WHEEL DRIVE, no torque steer on this baby;)

looks like its gonna be fun time when shes finished

This gonna be nice and luckely we are living in Thailand. In Europe someone would go to jail for that, but good we aren't in Europe. Freedom is important in our lifes!

INTJ......That BM looks like fun fun fun!

I think the 4 banger/V8 comparisons are a waste of time.The 4 bangers are usually under 2000cc and the V8s are double that.The fact that a little 1600cc 4 cylinder can produce so much power is what makes them great little engines and they are affordable.Throttle response and the lightness of these Jap cars are what makes them winners IMO.

The Honda B16 etc can be tuned to make power, but anyone who's been to Bira will know how awful they sound............plus putting all that power through the front wheels means that as well as chronic understeer, you're fighting with the wheel to keep it going in a straight line.

Also, the V8 engines are about half the price of the B16........but as the saying goes, "one man's pleasure is another mans poison" :)

Cheers

2010 VW Scirocco. 265 hp ABT, 6 speed dubbelclutch auto at 2,2 mill baht

According to the website, the Scirocco has 200hp... Where did the 265 come from?

As far as I know, the new Scirocco cost about 2,6 million, has 200 HP and the ABT tuning (adding 50 HP) costs 100,000 extra.

So you might want to consider the Golf GTi, which has 210 HP (not much more, but still), has 4 doors and can also be tuned by ABT to 260 HP also for 100,000 THB. Cars are ready and available for delivery within a few days.

Unless most other new cars sold in Thailand, the insurance, however, is NOT included (about 55,000 THB for 1 year). The GTi is a lot of fun to drive, especially with the ABT kit.

And then there is another step for about 400,000 THB, which brings the engine to 300 HP, inlcuding extensive modifications to the turbo charger, brakes, suspension etc. Too much for my taste.

Yup,

They have a 'rocco in the mall at Korat now. Its a nice bit of kit!

Don't think you'd regret such a purchase. Of course you can get the ABT upgrade when ever suits. I think AMD will be able to help too. they did variable chip upgrades which I had on my Audi TT. you could have different performance profiles....say when you had to have it inspected for an insurance job... and you'd forgotten to mention the upgrade... Handy, eh?

NOT THAT I WOULD EVER CONDONE SUCH UNDERHANDEDNESS!!

INTJ......That BM looks like fun fun fun!

I think the 4 banger/V8 comparisons are a waste of time.The 4 bangers are usually under 2000cc and the V8s are double that.The fact that a little 1600cc 4 cylinder can produce so much power is what makes them great little engines and they are affordable.Throttle response and the lightness of these Jap cars are what makes them winners IMO.

thay make it only with the lighntess, but YUO are the loser in case of any accident

for a hatchback, go for a civic eg 1992-1994 3door-hatchback.

throw away the std motor and tranmission,

swap the engine to a B16A/B16B-type r, B18C, K20A.

the std b16a produces 160hp sir1, sir2 is 170, type r b16b is 185hp 5speed manual.

the b18c is good for 185hp the type r motor for the b18c is 200hp 5speed manual.

the k20a from the integra type R dc5 is 220hp stock short 6speed gearbox.

there are plenty of b16a and b18c around, there is a very selected few k20a around.

ofcourse i have my source that has one if your intrested etc.

the reason to go for the hatchback, is the sheer weight. power to weight, Kills V8's.

They can't kill a V8, how???

If you talk about horsepower you have to mesure on the rear or front axle as they use to do in Germany, "DIN HP", not "SAE HP". So a 4 banger Japs engine wich they say has 180hp, has maybe only 120 "real" horsepower on the wheels and what you DON"T get with a 4 banger is TORQUE.

When you put a t3/t4 on a B16 or B18 and then drop that in a hatch you end up getting a lightweight pocket rocket running 300FWHP

I say have fun and drop an SR20DET into a BMW

On a side note you might find some cheap Nissans, like a 200sx or cefiro for a decent price.

An older beetle can be made fast whether you stick with a 1500-1700CC engine or go crazy and drop in an EJ20.

Starlet Gt's and the old "86" are an option as well

These is so muscle left in LOS, but it will most likely have a 1jz or 3.0TD in it. You might be lucky and get on with an RB, 2jz, Lexus V8 or find an American V8 for cheap.

When i lived in Thailand I knew I would be back stateside so i never seriously looked into a project car, but there seemed to be some good jumping points in the 200-400K region. I just can't justify the price of newer cars there. $60k for an sti? No thanks.

"$60k for an sti? No thanks."

Absolutely. I've been downloading and watching a UK series called "Wheeler Dealer" - classic (ish) cars are bought, restored and then sold for a profit.

Last week they bought a beautiful '97 BMW M3 convertible, when brought back to pristine it was sold for 300,000 baht :)

The big downside is that you have to drive it in the UK :D

Cheers

So you might want to consider the Golf GTi, which has 210 HP (not much more, but still), has 4 doors and can also be tuned by ABT to 260 HP also for 100,000 THB. Cars are ready and available for delivery within a few days.

Im happy with my 320d tuned to 220hp and 430nm :)

Im happy with my 320d tuned to 220hp and 430nm :)

probably the worlds best performing 2000cc diesel as stock.luvely :D

The Honda B16 etc can be tuned to make power, but anyone who's been to Bira will know how awful they sound............plus putting all that power through the front wheels means that as well as chronic understeer, you're fighting with the wheel to keep it going in a straight line.

:)

Cheers

Not with equal length driveshafts you don't :D

How can you not like the sound of 8.5k rpm ?

Still can't belive that other manufactures aren't selling two door 'sporty' hatchbacks to young yuppie type thais.. They wouldn't need to be high powered just sporty looking and cool..

Isn't that what the Minis and Beetles are for?

Like your Proton by the way, was thinking about one for the missus but went for the Yaris 'cos of the brand name.

Be different A good car is the Suzuki Swift 599,000 to 649,000 baht......... on test/reviews 4*

post-42643-1260585454_thumb.jpg

post-42643-1260585507_thumb.jpg

Air-conditioning, Airbags, dual front, Alarm, Brake, Anti-Lock (ABS), Bumpers, body coloured, CD/MP3/WMA Player, Central locking, Cigarette lighter, front, Clock, digital, Coin tray/holder, Cup Holders, Door handles, body coloured, Driver's footrest, Driver's Seat - Manual Adjustment, Floor carpet, Front Passenger Seatbelt Pretensioners, Front Passenger's Seat - Manual Adjustment, Gauge, oil-pressure, Head rests, Front, Interior dome light, Map lights, Front, Mirrors, side - electric, Passenger assist grips, Power steering, Protection Moulds, Side, Seat Belt Pretensioners-Front Seats, Seat trim, leather, Second row/rear seat, Steering wheel, leather bound, Sunvisors w/ Vanity Mirrors, Warning lamp - door ajar, Warning lamp - low fuel, Warning lamp - seat belt on, Wheels, alloy, Windows, electric

Edit: the above is from the Thai website........... Do you get full leather interior on a Jazz or Yaris for 649,000 baht

Edited by ignis

Be different A good car is the Suzuki Swift 599,000 to 649,000 baht......... on test/reviews 4*

post-42643-1260585454_thumb.jpg

post-42643-1260585507_thumb.jpg

Air-conditioning, Airbags, dual front, Alarm, Brake, Anti-Lock (ABS), Bumpers, body coloured, CD/MP3/WMA Player, Central locking, Cigarette lighter, front, Clock, digital, Coin tray/holder, Cup Holders, Door handles, body coloured, Driver's footrest, Driver's Seat - Manual Adjustment, Floor carpet, Front Passenger Seatbelt Pretensioners, Front Passenger's Seat - Manual Adjustment, Gauge, oil-pressure, Head rests, Front, Interior dome light, Map lights, Front, Mirrors, side - electric, Passenger assist grips, Power steering, Protection Moulds, Side, Seat Belt Pretensioners-Front Seats, Seat trim, leather, Second row/rear seat, Steering wheel, leather bound, Sunvisors w/ Vanity Mirrors, Warning lamp - door ajar, Warning lamp - low fuel, Warning lamp - seat belt on, Wheels, alloy, Windows, electric

Edit: the above is from the Thai website........... Do you get full leather interior on a Jazz or Yaris for 649,000 baht

Saw it at the show...it's not that great in the flesh. Much rather have the jazz or ford fiesta (with twin clutch trans). Didn't like to see rear drums on the fiesta though. Other reviews have put the suzuki at the bottom of the pile.

Any 'luxury' or 'executive' models manufactured in Thailand? Could this (unlikely) be a way to get bargain performance?
Since when has having an accident figured in home modded performance cars?

?

Your best bet would be the Honda Accord (3.5L V6) or Camry (apparently the new Hybrid has pretty impressive torque). Both are less than 2 million, I believe... Though you might get a bargain on the previous generation Accord, "only" a 3L engine, but that's quite plenty :)

But... all automatics *barf*

Any 'luxury' or 'executive' models manufactured in Thailand? Could this (unlikely) be a way to get bargain performance?
Since when has having an accident figured in home modded performance cars?

?

Your best bet would be the Honda Accord (3.5L V6) or Camry (apparently the new Hybrid has pretty impressive torque). Both are less than 2 million, I believe... Though you might get a bargain on the previous generation Accord, "only" a 3L engine, but that's quite plenty :)

But... all automatics *barf*

Camry and Accord 3,5 are both like 2,7 mill baht, made in LOS, both 4 door saloons only

BMW makes 3,5,7 series here from 2,7 to 10 mill baht.

Benz makes A, C, E, S, S long here. 500SEL is like 11 mill baht.

Volvo S60, V70, S80, X90, X60

No hot hatches though

No hot hatches though

Please what do you mean 'No hot hatches though'

maybe wrong but would have thought the 5 door hatchback Audi sold here 3.5 million, 211HP Turbo was hot ?

or the Mini Cooper is a hot Supercharged hatchback sold here for 3 million.

or the Volkswagen Scirocco, sold here 2.4million, is a hatchback 200HP Twin Supercharged is that not classed as a hot hatch ?

Then you have for 3.9 million the Subaru Impreza WRX STI 300HP + this is a hatchback.. is this a hot or cold hatch ?

the above are all 0-60 in 7 seconds or under.

then for 2.4 million you have the Volvo C30R hatchback maybe the warmest of the rest