Topics Older Than Page 5 Of New Topics

Jingthing

OK, I have an idea for the forum.

Many people use this board using the VIEW NEW POSTS tool. Then I reckon most people read page 1 of those new posts, then page 2, etc., etc, etc. For each new page, fewer people will bother looking at the older posts, for example page 6 or page 10.

Here is my idea. Have the mods do some editorial work and BUMP selected threads of merit, from page 5 up to perhaps page 20 of the new posts. My feeling is sometimes worthy topics do die a premature death. Sometimes this happens because of the time of day the last post happened. If it happened during off peak usage hours, the greater chance it would get pushed back.

Now I do feel much of the time the system works. The hot topics stay on the first few pages. However, sometimes worthy topics die too early.

A related idea that avoids the editorial work implied by my first idea. Create a new post randomizer tool that instead of displaying the newest posts randomizes the first 20 pages of post and then displays those, giving the older posts a possible second chance.

Just some ideas for your consideration.

Here's an idea: go to "My Controls", click on "Enable Settings" which is under "Options" and select "'Email Notification' by default?", type: "Daily Email Notification".

Then, if anyone replies to a thread you've posted on, you get an email.

AND/OR

Click on "My Assistant" and then "My last 10 posts" if you're desperate to discover if someone has replied to you.

However, sometimes worthy topics die too early.

Obviously, they are not 'worthy' in the eyes of the other members. :)

Have the mods do some editorial work and BUMP selected threads of merit, from page 5 up to perhaps page 20 of the new posts.

Although I agree some threads can often be gazumped by an inordinate of worthless dross, but you could actually perform the task yourself Jing, don't you think?

Have the mods do some editorial work and BUMP selected threads of merit, from page 5 up to perhaps page 20 of the new posts.

Although I agree some threads can often be gazumped by an inordinate of worthless dross, but you could actually perform the task yourself Jing, don't you think?

I find your comment odd. I wasn't talking about MY posts. It was a general suggestion. This is no big deal. Its just that people assume the "system" here always works, and I think it usually works, but not always. This is a high volume board and like I said a very worthy post could be posted at off peak hours and then bumped down to page 5 or more before it even has a chance to grow.

Edited by Jingthing

I find your comment odd. I wasn't talking about MY posts. It was a general suggestion. This is no big deal. Its just that people assume the "system" here always works, and I think it usually works, but not always. This is a high volume board and like I said a very worthy post could be posted at off peak hours and then bumped down to page 5 or more before it even has a chance to grow.

I think that Mossfin was pointing out that if you see any 'worthy' threads disappearing into the Great Void you can bump them yourself. Mods have enough to do as it is without being expected to decide which threads are 'worthy'.

I find your comment odd. I wasn't talking about MY posts.

As for the first part, I must admit I find your comment odd :D and as for the second, neither was I.

I think that Mossfin was pointing out that if you see any 'worthy' threads disappearing into the Great Void you can bump them yourself.

:)

I think that Mossfin was pointing out that if you see any 'worthy' threads disappearing into the Great Void you can bump them yourself. Mods have enough to do as it is without being expected to decide which threads are 'worthy'.

Aren't the threads listed on the Nation website selected by a human editor? I know definitely the threads in the mass emails are selected by a human. In any case, never mind, I wasn't really expecting a positive response. Just pointing pointing that automatic systems have some flaws. Not every individual poster is going to have to chutzpah to bump their own threads. Editors still exist in the world and they serve a purpose. Maybe the site could even pay a real editor to the job ... 55555

I found the comment about bumping my own posts odd because obviously if you read the OP I was talking much more generally, about all posts. Of course I know how to bump my own posts. Perhaps you are confused about where this is posted, a problem forum. Where should I have posted this, the general forum? It wasn't a problem, it was a SUGGESTION. The core of my point is that I reckon most users don't get much further than the first few pages of new posts.

Edited by Jingthing

Aren't the threads listed on the Nation website selected by a human editor? I know definitely the threads in the mass emails are selected by a human. In any case, never mind, I wasn't really expecting a positive response. Just pointing pointing that automatic systems have some flaws. Not every individual poster is going to have to chutzpah to bump their own threads. Editors still exist in the world and they serve a purpose. Maybe the site could even pay a real editor to the job ... 55555

I found the comment about bumping my own posts odd because obviously if you read the OP I was talking much more generally, about all posts. Of course I know how to bump my own posts. Perhaps you are confused about where this is posted, a problem forum. Where should I have posted this, the general forum? It wasn't a problem, it was a SUGGESTION. The core of my point is that I reckon most users don't get much further than the first few pages of new posts.

As were Mossfin and I. We weren't suggesting that you bump your own posts but that you bump threads which you feel deserve to be on the front page. Apart from the fact that Mods on TV are all unpaid volunteers I can just imagine the hoohaa about favouritism and censorship if they were to start bumping threads that they considered 'worthy'.

Can I suggest Jing, that you read the thread from the beginning, obviously starting with your OP and finish at the end and if you see any suggestion that either I, or endure are even intimating at you bumping your own threads, then please paraphrase, so that we can understand your view point.

For the record, I agree with you, certain good threads get buried early, so bump them yourself, not your own threads mind, because finding a good one would be difficult. :) I really am kidding here

I reckon most users don't get much further than the first few pages of new posts.

I am happy to be proved wrong here, but I reckon *most* users don't actually use the "View New Posts" link at all, but prefer to browse the individual forum(s) that they are interested in. It's only really in general where the entire first page contains topics from the current day, so a quick skim over the thread titles will soon unearth any hidden gems which have been posted over the past 24 hours. Even in general, it only takes a click onto the 2nd page before you're well into yesterday's threads.

good idea, cause mods really don't have much else to do except view older threads, deem worthy ones and then bump them :)

You dont' want to see a thread drop off, then bump it yourself. This site is supposed to be for everyone to take part in.

Your objection seems to be about the work flow or who does the work, other than the merit of the idea. Different issues really. Like I said before, somebody involved with the board is selecting posts for the mass emails, so making judgments about posts is a function that is already done to some degree here.

Actually my objection is to the idea that its up to the mods to determine what is "worthy" and what is not. If you think a topic is deserving of more interest then why don't you do something about it instead of expect the mods to?

Actually my objection is to the idea that its up to the mods to determine what is "worthy" and what is not. If you think a topic is deserving of more interest then why don't you do something about it instead of expect the mods to?

Can I pick the threads for the mass mailings also?

Yeah, and while you're at it and while you're volunteering for extra work, could you pick the threads that go in the RSS news feeds also? Thanks!

Let me check ... NO!

Obviously any poster will bump any thread he finds interesting enough to reply to. But for the most part that will be subjective. I was proposing a more objective editorial function. I can see it is a hopelessly unpopular idea. So ...

NEVER MIND!!!!

Edited by Jingthing

Yeah, and while you're at it and while you're volunteering for extra work, could you pick the threads that go in the RSS news feeds also? Thanks!

Let me check ... NO!

Obviously any poster will bump any thread he finds interesting enough to reply to. But for the most part that will be subjective. I was proposing a more objective editorial function. I can see it is a hopelessly unpopular idea. So ...

NEVER MIND!!!!

Touchy..

Totster :)