Thaksin To Set Up Govt In Exile If Coup Staged

webfact

Thaksin says he will set up govt in exile if coup staged

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra early Monday he will set up a government in exile if another coup is staged.

Posting messages on his ThaksinLive Twitter page, Thaksin said: "Thais in all foreign countries should get prepared, especially those who love democracy. If a coup is staged, we will form a government in exile together. Now, I have not set it up yet. I must wait for a coup to take place first."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-01-25

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree, Taksin is going beyond the pale, there is a saying in Aus that people become policemen because they don't have the heart to work as honest men and they don't have the guts to be thieves, here it seems that you become a policeman to take advantage of corruption and swagger around in your own percieved importance. He should have been made to surrender his passport when he was first charged with corruption. When he first came on the scene I did see something in him that was admirable, then came the loans to the muubaans which all seemed to end up in the pockets of the puuyai's and his supporters and the subseqent crackdowns on drugs, nespapers which did not support him ect. The man is now just a whinger, look what the elite are doing to a poor working man who only want's to help the poor while robbing them of any chance of inprovement. Sorry my rant for the day , it is Monday afer all.take care people and have a good day

Why would the military stage another coup when they already have a proxy govt in place? The mind boggles.

It's fully bizarre. I can only suggest he's planning something that might trigger another coup, similar to the Songkran riots last year, so that he can use this announcement to put the military in the spotlight somehow in the aftermath.

Although with his diminishing support, as identified by the low turnouts both in Khao Yai a week ago and last weekend, even this is looking less likely.

Because we can see how well those sonkran riots worked. Abhisits popularity in dealing with Thaksin's militia shot up astronomically. Thaksin played this wrong from the very beginning. He should have been much more circumspect, and (at least pretended to be) humble. If he had done that, there might well be a real danger of mass support. But instead, he's proceeded to shoot his mouth of, and do crazy things like ally himself with Hun Sen, and the support of the "Undecideds" (those neither yellow nor red, i.e. 70% of the population) has fallen substantially. All thats needed is one more Songkran debacle, and that Thaksin "endgame" will rebound on him like a ton of bricks. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

I want to see this grown man to cry when the verdict comes and he loses a lot of money

when I saw a speach of Khun Thaksin yesterday he looked already like near crying and breaking into tears.

All he wants is BACK TO THE MONEY and every day counts. Atm other people filling their pockets. Doesnt matter, at least he did something

in Thailand for what many Thais liked him.....what Abhisit did since he came to power ????????????????? RIGHT, NOTHING!!!!!!!

If there is a coup it will be Abhisit who is ousted and not Thaksin. Thaksin missed the government in exile boat when he was couped. It will be Abhisit's turn to consider it if he is couped.

Kind of bizarre.

Agreed if there was a coup it's Abhisit who should set up a government in exile ..and my guess he would get widespread sympathy and hospitality overseas if not outright recognition.

But the military and those who use them can't be so stupid...or can they?

If there is a coup it will be Abhisit who is ousted and not Thaksin. Thaksin missed the government in exile boat when he was couped. It will be Abhisit's turn to consider it if he is couped.

Kind of bizarre.

Agreed if there was a coup it's Abhisit who should set up a government in exile ..and my guess he would get widespread sympathy and hospitality overseas if not outright recognition.

But the military and those who use them can't be so stupid...or can they?

Remember there are more than two sides in this and that the Democrat party has never ever been close to the military in its history. At best they coexist or have arrangements of convenience.

Back in Songkhran days we saw things that implied that not all in the militray were over enamoured with Abhisit and co and the name of a certain person was floated as a possible successor but of ocurse Abhisit came out on top that day after seeming doomed. Things change though. We are in the middle of a pretty big power struggle with an even bigger change on the horizon. Sometimes peopel stop thinking rationally.

Abhisit leadign a government in exile after a coup would be interesting and likely to get sypmathy abroad. Even if couped though I would guess Abhisit wouldnt take such a step.

And of course just because Thaksin talks about coups doesnt mean they are going to happen, and of course playing on people's fears helps to swell rallies and maybe even disconcert coalition allies......

It beggars belief that the govt. allow a convicted felon to incite a coup and do nothing to stop it.

It is tantamount to treason, all Thaksin's websites should be shut down, what are the govt waiting for?

You can hardly allow the freedom of speech to a felon and someone who wants to topple the govt!!! But hey what do I know, I'm just a dumb Farang...

Guys in uniform look the same on TV, Thaksin can send in one group and

say they are from the opposition, mere pawns in his plan. Dissinformation.

Certainly there are multiple factions vieing for the trough,

but the only one with real gains to be made are the Thaksin backing ones.

when I saw a speach of Khun Thaksin yesterday he looked already like near crying and breaking into tears.

Emulating Glenn Beck, a US right-wing knucklehead made famous for breaking into tears when he speaks of his love for his country. Expect Taksin to add a chalkboard to his future presentations.

A thing to bear in mind is that Taksin gets a lot of his guidance from fortune tellers, so there will always be some entertainment value in his ravings.

I also suspect that he and the missus didn't really part, but are making it look that way for some sort of advantage involving $$$. In the weeks following the 2006 coup she came and went from the Kingdom several times, wonder why? "Don't touch that! It's not a suitcase, it's my wallet!"

Why would the military stage another coup when they already have a proxy govt in place? The mind boggles.

Because this goverment was NOT chosen by the people and they continue to refuse to hold elections

Just hold elections and let the people decide not that it matters as the losing party will hold a coup stick up the airport and bring the country to its knees :):D

Edited by FarangCravings

I don't know how likely a coup is in February but martial law for awhile seems quite possible. Thaksin being Thaksin, staying in the news, stirring up the sheit, what he does best these days. Whatever he once was, even for those who admired him, he is no longer.

It's fully bizarre. I can only suggest he's planning something that might trigger another coup, similar to the Songkran riots last year, so that he can use this announcement to put the military in the spotlight somehow in the aftermath.

Although with his diminishing support, as identified by the low turnouts both in Khao Yai a week ago and last weekend, even this is looking less likely.

.... :) ........ can take that for granted! He and his entourage wont stop, no matter what!

Rumors tell he offered up to half of the money whatever is retrieved, that would be max 1 Bill. US$ many here will do anything for it - even it will remain a dream forever - in this country people feed of dreams...

On the other it shows more and more how much he really "loves this country" an awful lot of people must be very much "fed up" with his cheap comedy.

Thaksin has been Thailands best Prime Minister by a country mile, do you really think the current government is squeaky clean? They only got in through the back door and were certainly not elected.

The government was elected, but unfortunately your hero could not run because he is a convicted criminal and likely to have his financial wings clipped pretty soon. The latest message from the lost leader appears to be that if he is going down then he wants to take everybody with him. Is this man in a bunker preparing for the final onslaught or what?

Because this goverment was NOT chosen by the people and they continue to refuse to hold elections

What you meant to say is that the current goverment was elected but that the election commission refuses to allow convicted criminals and parties banned for illegal activities stand. Oh, and you are a supporter of the convicted criminal, Thaksin, who has just announced that he is preparing one way or another for civil war.

Edited by yoshiwara

I am just tired of hearing this guys egotistical bluster. It's not about Democracy anymore it's about his EGO and nothing more the fact that he has been ousted without his voluntarily walking away which he would have never done anyway..

I know technically he was the legal PM but it has evolved well past that, now he is more of a pretentious wind bag and he is doing the country more harm then good....

I also think he is running short of funds and that is why his message is not being heard as loudly as he can not support those who support him and we all know that Thais loyalty in general is only as deep as your pockets..

*edit* ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^I see now that my opinion it not singular nor unique..

Edited by WarpSpeed

As an unbalanced person becomes more unbalanced, they become a greater threat to everyone around them. I think we are seeing the dementia set in, as he seems to believe that this is 2006...

What do you do when you see a mad dog in the neighbourhood, foaming at the mouth, and biting people at random?

Come on reds, surely it's time to cut the cord with this nut job if you want to maintain any sense of credibility. Some elements of reds do have a few legs to stand on, so why align with this idiot and look like one too? I just don't get it.

This reminds me of the ole, ABBA tune. "Money, money, money, always money, must be funny, in the rich man's world..."

Cutting the cord, you must be joking. If they can extract 500 baht from him, they'll stay till the end or when pipeline is completely blocked. Then, they can shrug their shoulders and walk away. Besides, he created them. There is no ideological backing, sorry.