Any New Ways To Vientiane From Chiang Mai?

damian5000

As far as I know, the way to do it is bus to Udon then on up into Laos from there.

Anyone know of any new ways to Vientiane? Is there a bus direct to Nongkhai or Vientiane? Any VIP 24 seat buses available? Trips all the way to Vientiane via travel agencies?

Yes, I realize this has been discussed before, but unfortunately people spell Vientiane about 5 different ways... and the threads that do come up are older and the information not so useful.

Nok Air has opened the Chiangmai > Udonthani line again with a 30 seater aircraft, the same that go to Pai and Maehongson, I guess at MHS airport the minibuses to the Friendship Bridge are waiting again, as they did before, inexpensive.

When arriving by bus from Chiangmai (never again!!!) you best take a tuktuk transfer to the local busstation (as the nightbus got a new station), from there the orange bust to Nongkai cost only 35b (don't listen to the Udon tuktuk guy who wanna make you believe you have to wait for 2 hours)

VIP bus is not much faster then the normal bus. After passing the Lao border office you can take the bleu bus to the morningmarket for 30 bath, I always shared a van or car to the city with other foreigners.

Best trip however is by air from Chiangmai by air via Luangprabang to Vientiane. Bit more expensive (go&back for 10.000b) but real fun, and the border thing cost only 3 minutes in stead of the two hours at the bridge.

Best trip however is by air from Chiangmai by air via Luangprabang to Vientiane. Bit more expensive (go&back for 10.000b) but real fun, and the border thing cost only 3 minutes in stead of the two hours at the bridge.

If you get a Lao visa in advance (any travel agent in CM can send your passport to Bangkok to get one), you won't have to waste more than 5 minutes at the bridge.

I second the flight from Chiangmai by air via Luangprabang to Vientiane through Lao Airline. :)

As for the advance visa... depends on the price. I know back in the USA its more expensive to get a Lao visa in advance. Its cheaper by half to just visa in country upon arrive. yeah it takes a bit longer... but cheaper.